Too many Aussies are barely enough!

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

Only had the unit installed for about 10 days. Generally pretty happy. Picture quality in the daytime is fine, night time is pretty reasonable also for a dashcam that costs under $300.
Note that after two hours of carefully trying to release the OEM cover I was just about ready to give up. The video they supply is for the ID3 and the mirror shaft is different to the Born (Born is larger diameter) which makes removal all the more difficult. Once you get the little closing piece off (closest to the rear view mirror) then removal is simple! Had very sore fingers after that.

aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

BTW if anyone wants to go down the spare wheel path, I have a spare spacer for the front wheel setup if anyone needs it...had to buy a pair. Mates rates apply.
The spacer is required when using the spare rim on the front wheels to create an offset to clear the brake calipers...otherwise you have to swap around tyres from back to front first (if you had a front flat tyre).
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

And here is my Xmas present to me. I made a template (as no one makes a dashmat for the Born that fits. Beware of the Chinese versions that say they do! They don't.) Had an auto upholsterer cut it out from marine grade carpet and edge it. Works great, the carpet is very stretchy and you just mold it to the dash contours. It reduces light reflection on the windscreen and some of the heat reflection off the dash, which is what I wanted plus will protect the dash long term from the Aussie sun.

20231223_155300.jpg

20231223_155152.jpg

20231223_155145.jpg

20231223_155135.jpg

20231223_155123.jpg

20231223_155115.jpg

20231223_155018.jpg

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

That looks very tidy indeed!
It reminds me of my time in Saudi where it was absolutely necessary to have these dash covers, so there were loads of local upholsterers who made these in all the shades to match your car.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

Yes, I doubt there is much call for a dash mat anywhere in the UK or most of Europe, except somewhere where it gets as hot & bright as we get here. A personal choice but one I have always done, being raised in the outback! It certainly provides less reflection in the dashcam footage and somewhere soft to throw the sunglasses, not on the seat where they get sat on.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Yes, I've driven in OZ, and it can be hot, but Victoria doesn't get as hot as Saudi, with summer temps up to 50-odd centigrade. Where do you park in Saudi? Anywhere there's shade!
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
tuppaware

Post by tuppaware »

aussieBORN23 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:02 am Yes, I doubt there is much call for a dash mat anywhere in the UK or most of Europe, except somewhere where it gets as hot & bright as we get here. A personal choice but one I have always done, being raised in the outback! It certainly provides less reflection in the dashcam footage and somewhere soft to throw the sunglasses, not on the seat where they get sat on.
On yeah I really need this in Queensland but also dont really want that texture.
Aussie Owners review of the Born 2023
https://youtu.be/2tMEUtKVnOg
aussieBORN23

Post by aussieBORN23 »

Yep, personal choice. You could try suede but I found it to show directional marks which was just as much distracting in the reflections on the windscreen as the plastic finish. Does not breathe like the un-backed carpet, but worth a try.
SabreDentist

Post by SabreDentist »

Your mods look excellent AussieBorn23!

May I ask a couple of questions:

a) Where did you find the door latches with the Cupra logo on them? They look fantastic.

b) Are those the Automotive Passion arch guards that you have fitted? (people rave about how good they are across a range of makes like Porsche and BMW).
Jamsa

Post by Jamsa »

aussieBORN23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:30 am Mods pretty much done now;
Hi AussieBorn, can you share how you did the spare tyre mod - that looks amazing! I'd like to take a full sized spare with me when I go on road trips. Is it easy to swap out a tyre that has rims on it (I've only ever changed one with steel and hubcab on it) - is that what that spacer was for? Where did you get the spare tyre from? Did you notice any loss in range with the weight ?