Massive battery recall check - TPI 93Q2

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Hi all, great forums with excellent useful topics.
Anyway after checking the recall as per other posts, my car had 3 recalls. Software update, Goodyear tyres and Battery check.
It was in at local dealer today. Excellent service from them. Gave me a demo Born and said mine would be about 2 days. Anyway, got a text with a video to a general inspection they did which was fine. The Goodyear tyres was a red herring as my car has Conti’s fitted. The guy at the service desk said they don’t record which tyres they fit to your car. The recalls were done in 4 hours which was a bit of a surprise.
When I went back to pick it up I asked how it was so quick. The reply was that my car had taken a lot of updates over the air and the software update was done quickly 👍🏻
The battery health check was all good so happy days. Looks like it has a clean bill of health. There was a print out stapled to the paperwork which had figures from the battery check. They didn’t mean much to me TBH.
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey

MICKB

Post by MICKB »

Hi. My 2022 Born was recalled this October i have had the car about 15 months. It failed after the battery control unit check. Cupra Derby isn't a BCC but told me Leicester was. The car also had software update at Derby but over the coming days faulted on the dashboard with "drive error seek dealer support". It was confirmed by vw roadside as failed battery control (2nd time) and was Recovered to Leicester.
Leicester then told me Derby hadn't followed process and needed to rerun the tests again, but if it was a battery error then they couldn't fix it and it may have to go to Doncaster.
It sat at Leicester for over 4 weeks before being diagnosed for the 3rd time. Leicester made arrangements to move it Doncaster.
It sat at Doncaster for another week before the fault was confirmed again and that it cant be gixed yet as there was a shortage of sealant.
2 weeks later the sealant has arrived but no nuts and bolts which are seemingly coming from Russia (!) and there is no eta.
So here I am starting 10th week without my car.
No fix in sight. Doncaster tell me over 1000 people in same position country wide.
Cupra customer service seems impotent and unable to really provide a customer service. I do have a rental car from Enterprise.

If Germany is on reduced production of evs there must be thousands of nuts and bolts sat around without bothering Russia.

Any one else cracked this or any good advice. I am hugely disappointed in VAG.
Derby say a delayed repair isn't grounds to buy back the vehicle. I can't even trade it because I don't have it.
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

I'm only on week 6 without mine; like you, have a rental car. I'm in Cornwall, car at BCC in Southampton - awaiting sealant at last dealer update. Not holding my breath for getting it back before Christmas :(
V2 58kwh AFV 230 Auto e-boost. Qasar grey. 19" Typhoon wheels, copper details. Heat Pump.
MICKB

Post by MICKB »

Hi I was informed today that the nuts and bolts need alternative supplies as UK govt have embargoed Russian imports. Don't hold your breath....
pardonator

Post by pardonator »

That’s absolutely appalling. Mine came back from Cupra Gloucester last week after being checked and they said it didn’t need any changes, although I’ve my doubts, I’ve no idea how I’d actually check apart from taking it to another dealer, the recall website still shows it as outstanding.
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

My dealer phoned with an update today - no change, BCC still waiting for sealant. However, they said this was coming from Ukraine, so they had no idea if or when they would be able to get it! He was going to call Cupra Customer Service to see if they were looking into alternative products, since the BCC said they couldn't use an alternative product unless it was authorised by Cupra - warranty issues if they did! He did say he may ask me to phone customer service as an "angry customer wanting his car back". This would now seem to be something that the main-stream motoring media should pick up on and highlight - hopefully to shame Cupra into some sort of action...
V2 58kwh AFV 230 Auto e-boost. Qasar grey. 19" Typhoon wheels, copper details. Heat Pump.
un_born

Post by un_born »

It's good I found this..... It's my wifes car so I rarely drive it.

If I remember correctly, when I charged to 80% it used to show 204miles range. Today its showing 154miles. Whether this is due to faulty battery or a change in software (over the air) making the mileage estimate more 'real life' I'm not sure.

Anyone with faulty batteries noticed the predicted mileage drop like mine?

Will get onto my local dealer tomorrow and see when I can get it booked in.
milkyway55

Post by milkyway55 »

un_born wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:44 pm It's good I found this..... It's my wifes car so I rarely drive it.

If I remember correctly, when I charged to 80% it used to show 204miles range. Today its showing 154miles. Whether this is due to faulty battery or a change in software (over the air) making the mileage estimate more 'real life' I'm not sure.

Anyone with faulty batteries noticed the predicted mileage drop like mine?

Will get onto my local dealer tomorrow and see when I can get it booked in.
The range drop is because it's cold, nothing to do with any recalls. You can check on the Cupra Australia site if your car is subject to the Service Campaign (it's not a recall)
https://checkout.cupraofficial.com.au/o ... ns-recalls
2023 Cupra Born, 77kWh eBoost, 5 seats, Aurora Blue, 19" Copper Typhoon, Pilot L + TPA, Tech L w/SAFE, AR-HUD.
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

Contacted Cupra customer service via their web site on Sunday. Had a call today; gave them my dealer contact details (again), they said they'd get all the necessary info from them then escalate the issue within Cupra. My dealer contact called me a while later to confirm he'd had a call. If you're reading this and have the problem with your car stuck at a BCC, it may be worth you contacting customer service too; the more unhappy customers contact them, the more they're likely to do something - i.e. approve an alternative sealant (or any other unavailable parts) to the one they can't get from Ukraine (or Russia)! I'm hopeful the motoring media may pick up on this saga before too long. In the meantime, back to waiting...
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

Hi All, Had another call from Cupra Customer Service yesterday. Chap said that the issue with paste availability had been escalated to the highest level within Cupra and that they were actively seeking alternative supplies. I told him that my rental car, being petrol, was costing significantly more to run than my Born and I'd like to be moved to an EV rental vehicle. He said he would look into that but didn't want to raise my expectations. He said that if they couldn't, then they'd consider another form of compensation when I get my Born back - likely a payment-in-kind e.g. free servicing or the like. I then called my dealer to keep him up to date and he gave me the 'good news' (as mentioned in a another post here) about the problem with getting bolts. Seems they are single-use 'stretch' bolts, so must be replaced. So, even if/when paste turns up, they now don't have the bolts to put the battery cased back together! In the meantime, keep an eye out for the January edition of Autocar magazine where there may be an article on this subject...