Massive battery recall check - TPI 93Q2

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Most Borns including those manufactured in early 2023 require a battery test. If any of the modules fail the test they'll need to be replaced

Ask your dealer to make an appointment for TPI 93Q2.

gavp

Post by gavp »

Hey, had my born in for a service check as of Monday due to battery and range issues that have occurred the past few months. They advised me today of the battery recall and that they're going to check that to confirm if mine has been affected and then determine next steps.

Just an FYI they advised there's an update that'll take 6 hours to complete as well as then doing the checks, so if you take your car expect it to be out of action for at least a day or 2.
V2 58kwh E-Boost, Battery Melt Down
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Reporting my recall experience here rather than a new thread.
Had a bit of a runaround this morning including an hour on the phone to Cupra Customer Service.
I have 4 recalls outstanding.
Goodyear Tyres
Bonnet Catch
Software "Flash" update
Battery Control Module.
The battery recall relates to a check for faulty cells as far as I can tell. There is a bit of confusion regarding what the dealerships are capable of. Bromley W J King first said that they can't do the battery recall and put me onto Vndis in Milton Keynes. They said they were also unable to do the battery as it has to go to a certified BCC dealership....whatever that is!
So an hour with Cupra Customer Service sorted it out.
Any Cupra Service centre can undertake the recall check but if there is a faulty cell/s the car has to be transported to a BCC certified centre or a partially capable BCC centre depending on the extent of the work required. Confused? I was and so it seems are the dealerships. Both WJ King Bromley and Vindis Milton Keynes didn't know the process which is:-
The local dealerships carry out the recall check as its within their trained capability. If further work is required they undertake transportation of the vehicle to either a full BCC or partial BCC dealership where the work will be completed on their behalf and then the car returned back to the local dealer.
The local dealer also arranges a courtesy car for up to a week to cover the period involved although I'm told I have to pay £25 a day for insurance which doesn't seem that fair.
My car is booked for Sept 5th with a Corsa EV courtesy replacement.
This all sounded very clear from Cupra Customer Service but the conversations with the dealerships I spoke to was like platting fog. I asked why the work couldn't be done by my local VW dealership which is massive and only 5 miles away and the answer was that Brand's have to have individual brand business reporting and Customer care despite the fact that the technology is common to both.
I hope you guys don't get the same runaround that I have had.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
gavp

Post by gavp »

Update from me. My car has been confirmed as having a failed fuel cell which needs to be replaced however the part is on back order meaning its not in stock. Been advised by the dealer they currently have no idea how long it'll take to arrive, could be a week or weeks . They've got me in a Cupra Formentor in the mean time, haven't had to pay for insurance (just £10 to reduce excess cover from £1000 to £250 in an accident). Now it's just waiting for when they can get my car back to me.

Open question, I am on PCP so have effectively been paying monthly for a faulty car for a while as I started seeing range months ago. I'll also now will not have my car at all for an unknown period of time. Sure they've gave me a courtesy car but it's not an equal to my car. So do I have any grounds to go to customer services and look for some kind of compensation? Or will they have covered themselves in the contract and is just and is what it is kind of thing?
V2 58kwh E-Boost, Battery Melt Down
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I put my VIN in the VIN checker and this TPI doesn't show up for my car. I'm assuming if mine were affected it would?
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
RichT

Post by RichT »

Further to the descriptions above I've been told (by my dealer and Cupra Customer Service) that there are effectively two variants of TPI 93Q2.
Most vehicles are "check and replace modules if necessary" whereas some (including my Sept '22 V2) come up as "definitely replace modules".
Ie. the vehicle has already logged a battery issue with Cupra mothership .
So my V2 will be transported to a BCC certified dealer once I've booked it in.
My TPI 93Q2 Recall Description is thus very accurate "S-Replace battery module". Is that the same for everyone?
58 kWh V2 in vapor grey with pan roof and heat pump
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

RichT wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:56 pm Further to the descriptions above I've been told (by my dealer and Cupra Customer Service) that there are effectively two variants of TPI 93Q2.
Most vehicles are "check and replace modules if necessary" whereas some (including my Sept '22 V2) come up as "definitely replace modules".
My TPI 93Q2 Recall Description is thus very accurate "S-Replace battery module". Is that the same for everyone?
Can someone who's Battery Recall passed with no issues share their "Service Campaign/Recall Description" text when checking the VIN number on https://checkout.cupraofficial.com.au/o ... ns-recalls please? Thanks for the note RichT!
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

RichT wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:56 pm Further to the descriptions above I've been told (by my dealer and Cupra Customer Service) that there are effectively two variants of TPI 93Q2.
I'll check the recall number in a while but I remember the description was definitely replace battery control module.
V2 registered June 2022. Not sure of build date as it was from stock.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:21 am
I'll check the recall number in a while but I remember the description was definitely replace battery control module.
V2 registered June 2022. Not sure of build date as it was from stock.
Update
Yes 93Q2. I guess mine will need transporting to a BCC certified dealership.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

My V2 (reg Sep 22) has just had the battery fault detected. Now have a hire car whilst mine gets sent from Cornwall to a BCC in Southampton to have module(s) replaced as needed. Told could be 4 to 6 weeks!
V2 58kwh AFV 230 Auto e-boost. Qasar grey. 19" Typhoon wheels, copper details. Heat Pump.