Massive battery recall check - TPI 93Q2

All CUPRA Born related discussions
MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

My Born was done back in August. I got it booked in straight away (at Heritage Gloucester) because I was being driven mad by the "New Settings Are Available..." message, and had also had several black screen/screen freeze incidents. It took them 1 day to do the whole thing. And since then, it's been 100% good, with no problems at all.

So I'm afraid it sounds like you do indeed have a problem. My experience of Heritage Gloucester has been good, btw, and if you have the choice, I'd suggest them to sort your car out.

Delwilks

Post by Delwilks »

Thanks for that. After I responded to the many requests for feedback on how the service went, from both garage and Cupra, I just had a call from the garage. Apparently Cupra Assistance can get me a courtesey car quicker than the garage (who have run out) and will collect the car and then deliver it back to me. Only trouble is my car will be joining a long queue of other Borns and Skodas waiting for battery replacements. The problem is a complete lack of the very special bolts that secure them to the car! Looks like I will be without an electric car for a few months. Not a great advert for the brand when they don't stock sufficient spares. I've heard it blamed on the war in Russia but I do not believe that in the last nearly two years they have not found another country capable of making nuts and bolts....
MICKB

Post by MICKB »

Hi. The battery TPI 93q2 has 2 parts as i understand it (I'veaskeda lot of questions over past 3 months+ ). 1st a flash to see if there is a problem lurking. Then 2nd software update applied which recognises the flash update results. This then shows as a Electric Drive error. Your dealer should tell you if the battery control unit is faulty. Then we get to the uk and European embargo on all things from Russia and Occupied Ukraine. Sealant comes from Ukraine. The burden of proof lay with the manufacturer to demonstrate that no Russian ore goes into the steel used. Tricky to do it seems with something like steel.
You can try and read the update on .gov website where some dispensation is now available from 23rd December if things can be proved to be manufactured before April. Not sure if it helps automotive industry.
I don't know how many earlier Borns or iD3s are affected. But there is a backlog at my BCC.
un_born

Post by un_born »

I still haven't got around to getting mine tested. How long does the battery check take, is it a while you wait affair or will I need a courtesy car?

*****UPDATE****

Just to update my own post, called Citygate and managed to book it into Watford branch, 4th March 2024. with a free courtesy car as its Recall/Warranty work. Without car, they could of done it 16th Feb.

They require the car for the whole day, 9am drop off and will carry out the software upgrade and tyre check.
Baconrage

Post by Baconrage »

I'm trying to decide if I should leave this until the service which isn't due until November or if I should get it looked at earlier. Nothing appears to be wrong but I'm not sure if there would be any obvious fault with the battery. What's people's thoughts? Leave it, it get it looked at.
V3 58kwh e-boost in Quasar gray.
MICKB

Post by MICKB »

# baconrage.
If there's anything wrong then the process will find it. However you will have to wait for repairs and parts at a bcc. Otherwise you continue with old glitchy software. Your choice. Most born s are fine at battery check. But it's not great if it isn't.
Baconrage

Post by Baconrage »

I've got used to the glitchy software.
jerryhawkins

Post by jerryhawkins »

I'm trying to get my car back from the BCC "unrepaired". I'm waiting to hear back from Cupra Customer Service. If my car hasn't been taken apart yet then I'll have it back until they have all the parts (sealant and bolts) to complete the repair. I wasn't aware of any issues (it was all working fine) before my dealer said it had failed the diagnostic. I'm happy to drive it with the 'fault' as long as needed. Just want my car back really!
V2 58kwh AFV 230 Auto e-boost. Qasar grey. 19" Typhoon wheels, copper details. Heat Pump.
Baconrage

Post by Baconrage »

That's what I'm worried about really, if they diagnose the fault will I not get the car back until fixed?
MICKB

Post by MICKB »

HI
the issue as i understand it is the flash (part 1 of the TPI) reveals the error to the updated software. only then does it report the electric drivetrain has a fault and to go to dealer. also the manufacturer is knowingly re- supplying you a faulty vehicle which you are accepting. i suppose you could ask for it back, but it probably will have error codes that weren't there previously IF the software was updated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-guidance

this link is the reason everything has been a bit stuck.