Click sound from rear wheels

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
grdaikos

Post by grdaikos »

Recently I observed a ‘click’ sound that originated from the rear wheels. The sound is not continuous. It only occurs in the following situations:

a. The car is coasting and I hit the acceleration pedal
b. I hit the brakes

The sound occurs only once after one of the above occurs. So for example, the car is coasting, I hit the acceleration, the sound occurs once. It doesn't occur again no matter how many time I hit the acceleration.

My initial impression is that the ‘click’ sound is related with the transition from acceleration to recuperation.

Have you any thoughts or similar experience?

Streetbeef

Post by Streetbeef »

Hi,
yeah we have the same problem. sounds to me like its coming from the offside rear but i couldnt be sure. only does it for me after coming to a full stop then pulling away again. only does it once and doesnt matter if its gentle acceleration or hard its still the same.
grdaikos

Post by grdaikos »

Thanks for the reply,

Have you consulted the service about the issue?
Do you believe it is dangerous to drive the car with this issue?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I also get something very similar that I have been putting down to the rear drum brakes.
Not sure its the same noise as mentioned in the post as it is only under braking when coming to the final stop. Its a noise I remember well from days gone by when drum brakes at the rear were pretty much the norm. Rear drums are or should be self adjusting so a heavy brake application can sometimes settle the shoes into the drum as they wear.
It costs nothing to try it.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Streetbeef

Post by Streetbeef »

grdaikos wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:32 am Thanks for the reply,

Have you consulted the service about the issue?
Do you believe it is dangerous to drive the car with this issue?
No we havent taken it in yet, im waiting for the 3.2 update and a few other niggles to get sorted all at once so will get them to check it out when it goes in for the other bits. i don't think it is anything to worry about for now. were still driving ours daily and isnt causing any issues other than being annoying lol.
grdaikos

Post by grdaikos »

lol. annoying indeed !!
grdaikos

Post by grdaikos »

Daveion wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:45 am I also get something very similar that I have been putting down to the rear drum brakes.
Not sure its the same noise as mentioned in the post as it is only under braking when coming to the final stop. Its a noise I remember well from days gone by when drum brakes at the rear were pretty much the norm. Rear drums are or should be self adjusting so a heavy brake application can sometimes settle the shoes into the drum as they wear.
It costs nothing to try it.
Today I asked from a friend to listen to the noise (metallic click) from outside the car. You are right, the sound has its origin to the rear left wheel only, possibly from the drum brake. It happens both when hard accelerating or braking and only to speeds under 40 km/h. In higher speeds I never notice it.
Yorkie71

Post by Yorkie71 »

I've had this too. I took it to the dealer last week and they observed the issue.

Apparently there's a TPI for this. The drive shafts need to be removed and "locking paste" applied. It's going in for the fix soon, (to be done at the same time as the 3.2.1 update and the parking camera guide calibration and the "virtual OCU replacement"). I'm told that it's not unsafe.
grdaikos

Post by grdaikos »

Yorkie, I am going to the workshop too tomorrow. Do you have more info on the TPI?
Yorkie71

Post by Yorkie71 »

Sorry no. I wish I could give you the TPI number but they didn't supply it.