Charging current is below 11kW and declining

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
pitar

Post by pitar »

Hi everyone.
I'm experiencing a strange issue with my 3 week old Born 77kWh e-boost.
Normal AC charging current should be around 11kW, but since I've gotten the car I have never reached that charging current.
It hangs around 7kW or even lower.
In the last few days the charging current has further decreased to about 5kW and sometimes 3kW without changing any setting.
Same behavior on my home charger with 22kW capacity as well on other public chargers.

DC charging appears to be normal and reaches up to 100kW.

I have had a meeting with the dealer and tried another charger cable to also eliminate that, but no avail.
They said they've never seen that behavior on any MEB platform car.
Scheduled in for analysis and hopefully a fix/repair within the next two weeks.

Has anybody experienced the same issue?

daern

Post by daern »

What battery level are you seeing this at? Mine has certainly slowed down in cold weather above 90%, but it's been rare that it's dropped much below 7kW even in sub-zero temperatures. At the other end of the scale, do you have excessively high ambient temperatures that might be causing the AC/DC converter in the car to throttle power?
pitar

Post by pitar »

daern wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:07 pm What battery level are you seeing this at? Mine has certainly slowed down in cold weather above 90%, but it's been rare that it's dropped much below 7kW even in sub-zero temperatures. At the other end of the scale, do you have excessively high ambient temperatures that might be causing the AC/DC converter in the car to throttle power?
At every battery level between 20 and 90%.
Ambient temperature is around 20C at the moment which doesn't seem excessive.
When charging overnight and temperature drops further there is no change in charge current.

I also think it has something to do with the converter in the car.
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

pitar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:30 pm Hi everyone.
I'm experiencing a strange issue with my 3 week old Born 77kWh e-boost.
Normal AC charging current should be around 11kW, but since I've gotten the car I have never reached that charging current.
It hangs around 7kW or even lower.
In the last few days the charging current has further decreased to about 5kW and sometimes 3kW without changing any setting.
Same behavior on my home charger with 22kW capacity as well on other public chargers.

DC charging appears to be normal and reaches up to 100kW.

I have had a meeting with the dealer and tried another charger cable to also eliminate that, but no avail.
They said they've never seen that behavior on any MEB platform car.
Scheduled in for analysis and hopefully a fix/repair within the next two weeks.

Has anybody experienced the same issue?
Someone else on the German Born forum posted the exact same issue:

https://www.born-forum.de/forum/thread/ ... stID=49895
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

Have you tried a different charger ? Check all the car settings especially for the battery. Temperature of battery and ambient temperature might be a cause.
pitar

Post by pitar »

WelshCupraB wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:00 am Have you tried a different charger ? Check all the car settings especially for the battery. Temperature of battery and ambient temperature might be a cause.
I've tried about 10 public and private chargers so far.
All settings were validated by the dealership + the charger at the dealership explicitly stated that the car is limiting to 7.x kW.
As posted here before there is also a post on the German forum + a post on Reddit and it describes the exact same issue.
It must be something internal in the AC to DC converter or a software issue.

Will keep this post update once I have results from the dealership.
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

They can scan the car and see if there are any issues when charging. I scanned my car with VCDS to back up before software updates in case it clobbers the car. Its most probably the AC charger as you said or a setting in it. There could be a charge limit somewhere. I will scan my car and look.