Slow DC Charging Speeds

All CUPRA Born related discussions
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

Hi everyone,

This evening was my first time using a public fast charger. I’ve used one of the Gridserve 350 KWh chargers. The problem is the car only seemed to charge at a maximum speed of 50 KWh. Has anyone else seen this before, I’m concerned there’s a problem with the car?

Thank you!
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack

Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I doubt there’s an issue with your car. I’ve never seen speeds much higher than that, including on 350kw chargers, which are way above the 125kw max speed of the 58kWh or 135kw on the 77kwh battery cars (which do charge faster for longer).

The speed you get on a charge will depend on the SoC and temperature of the battery and also what the rapid charging station is supplying at the time, it may not be delivering anything like it’s rating.

If the stars align and battery is at <10% state of charge, its temp is 20-25 degrees and the charger you plug into is delivering what it should the car should pull 125kw, but not for long, see the charging curve…

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1517/CUP ... arge-table

There are much faster charging cars with flatter charging curves, Hyundai/KIA lead the pack, then Tesla with BMW, Merc, Volvo good too. VAG will get there.
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

Born Leccy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:54 pm I doubt there’s an issue with your car. I’ve never seen speeds much higher than that, including on 350kw chargers, which are way above the 125kw max speed of the 58kWh or 135kw on the 77kwh battery cars (which do charge faster for longer).

The speed you get on a charge will depend on the SoC and temperature of the battery and also what the rapid charging station is supplying at the time, it may not be delivering anything like it’s rating.

If the stars align and battery is at <10% state of charge, its temp is 20-25 degrees and the charger you plug into is delivering what it should the car should pull 125kw, but not for long, see the charging curve…

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1517/CUP ... arge-table

There are much faster charging cars with flatter charging curves, Hyundai/KIA lead the pack, then Tesla with BMW, Merc, Volvo good too. VAG will get there.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, it’s certainly helped with my uncertainty around the topic.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I’ve had to used rapid chargers this week on holiday for the first time in nearly a year and it was terrible compared to what I remember.

Last year saw my ID3 charging at over 300 mph several times and I thought I saw my Born do similar last year but this week it never went over 151 mph, which is about 40 kW. Even on my own on a bank of 4x 350 kW chargers.

On that bank it was a bit of an unnecessary charge so didn’t take much notice but today I got the same rate on a 350 kW at Exeter services with only 23% SoC. I got the same on the way down with 41%. So it seems rather than a curve my car just does 40 kW or less.

I
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:02 pm I’ve had to used rapid chargers this week on holiday for the first time in nearly a year and it was terrible compared to what I remember.

Last year saw my ID3 charging at over 300 mph several times and I thought I saw my Born do similar last year but this week it never went over 151 mph, which is about 40 kW. Even on my own on a bank of 4x 350 kW chargers.

On that bank it was a bit of an unnecessary charge so didn’t take much notice but today I got the same rate on a 350 kW at Exeter services with only 23% SoC. I got the same on the way down with 41%. So it seems rather than a curve my car just does 40 kW or less.

I
That’s strange, I thought you’d have seen a faster charging speed around 23% SoC. Are you going to take the car into the garage for them to investigate?
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I think I probably will but I’ll have a go on a charger when it’s low again as Exeter was rammed so maybe all the chargers were going slower than normal.