No jack with the Born as standard?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

If you read the small print on any tyre fitting shop's invoice it'll say something to the effect of "check the wheel bolt tightness after xxx miles". How, without a wheelbrace?
I never paid much attention to this until, a few years ago, my daughter had a wheel virtually come off as she was driving. The garage who'd serviced the car a few weeks earlier tried to wriggle out of responsibility, pointing to that notice as evidence of her negligence rather than theirs!

Dan4096

Post by Dan4096 »

samwise wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:21 am The Born is coming to Australian shores very soon (I think 500+ sold across the country so far). I don't think many people realize yet, but the standard 19" Tyre (and 20") are not stocked... anywhere... in tyre shops. I'm worried about road trips (its common for many Aussies travel 200-400km+ on holidays to the regional spots), and if you get a flat tyre in the middle of no-where you are going to be in strife! And not to mention, getting towed somewhere you may need to wait weeks for a replacement tyre to be delivered.

To be safe, I've asked the dealer to order an extra full sized wheel for when we go on holiday. Can anyone link me to a suitable jack (the lightest/most compact that is safe to use on the Born? I'm not sure a space saver makes sense here, because if you have to put one on you are going to be stuck travelling 80/km hr for a huge journey back home (and it might cut your holiday short).
I wish I had seen this before we decided to get a Born. Dreadful experience after we copped a flat tyre. Called Goodyear and found that there were no Efficientgrip Performance 215/50R19 in Australia... because VW had failed to inform Goodyear of the OE fitment so Goodyear wasn't able to stock up. Asked Cupra to swap a wheel from one of their cars to get our car going but it was "nah you have to get two new Continentals". Had to twist their arm further so they'd eat the cost on one of them and to give us another Born to drive until the tyres arrive from over east. The service centre we went to to get the loaner said the Goodyears had been recalled (?) which was news to me, unsure where they got that information from.

Oh, I forgot about the part that the car doesn't come with the jack, compressor and repair kit as mentioned in the handbook. Took a call to the Cupra showroom to learn that the tyres are "self-sealing". Imagine being a salesperson and not bothering to tell your customers this, like, on a bit of paper in the wallet.

If I'd known this was the crappy experience we'd've had with Cupra we would not have ordered it.

/endrant
Mikep-born

Post by Mikep-born »

The reason for no jack or repair kit is that the tyres are self sealing, so Cupra do not provide anything to remove the wheel. Hopefully the self sealing works if you get a nail or similar.
Graham B

Post by Graham B »

Funny reading that Cupra in Australia know nothing of the tyre recall.
I live in the UK and purchased my Born here. I read on this site that there were Born recalls but that Cupra are waiting for the next service to implement the recall. I checked the UK Govt site which should list all manufacture recalls and got nothing but followed advice in this forum and entered my VIN to the Australian govt site which mandates all recalls be posted.
I had three possibly 4 and called Cupra UK to arrange a visit for the recalls. It took avout 10 weeks before the visit, but eventually the day arrived:
1. I escaped the high voltage battery recall (cells that fail rapidly - reducing range and battery life!). This is a good thing as Cupra only replace the failing cells so it takes a long time.
2. I got a brand new set of Continental tyres fitted. This is also a good thing - the Goodyears are not up to the job and can blow out at any time (not a nice thought at 70mph!).
3. I got the bonnet pin replaced. Apparently they fail and the bonnet flies up in front of the windscreen (also not fun at 70mph!).
4. I got the software update which removes some of the annoying software bugs and enables Over The Air updates in future.

And without Born Forum and the Australian site I would never have known since Cupra UK were not too worried I was driving a potential death trap ........
CUPRA Born V2 Quasar Grey May 2022 L-Tech Pack
rsg444

Post by rsg444 »

I'm afraid, you don't get jack. (Sorry!)
Pugboy

Post by Pugboy »

I think if they don't provide a spare wheel they should provide tyre foam. I've had a puncture and the tyre didn't seal itself up.
I have now purchased a can of foam. Note you will need the extra large size as a regular size will only half inflate the tyre.
Born V2 58 E-Boost
1989 Fiat Ducato Motorhome
2012 Fiesta Econetic Titanium
Graham B

Post by Graham B »

No jack or spare with my car but I did get a can of foam! I had my car paintwork and interior pre-treated as an optional extra (which I got them to throw into the negotiated price) and this came with a bag of car wash, wheel cleaner, glass cleaner, bird pooh remover etc and ... a can of tyre foam! Don't know if it is big enough or not but assumed they knew what they were doing which clearly they don't so I should probably check!
CUPRA Born V2 Quasar Grey May 2022 L-Tech Pack
Pugboy

Post by Pugboy »

I purchased this foam from Amazon. The regular, smaller size you would need 2 cans.

Holts LOYHT4YA Emergency Puncture Repair, 500ml https://amzn.eu/d/7gkxlBS
Born V2 58 E-Boost
1989 Fiat Ducato Motorhome
2012 Fiesta Econetic Titanium
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

No jack or tyre foam with mine when purchased in December 2022. I called them up once and asked about it, I was told it doesn't come with a jack as the tyres are run-flats. I have inspected the tyres and can't see any designation to show they are run-flat tyres, unless I am being blind?

IMG_2243.jpeg

Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Those are self sealing Conti Ecocontact 6, they have a gel across the inside of the tread, although in my experience, it didn't work too well when I had a puncture in the tread. There is no coverage at all for punctures on shoulder or sidewall, so get a puncture there and you are calling out the AA.

Those tyres are so thin, punctures are quite likely. After not having a puncture in 12 years, I had 2 in a year with these.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565