Born no more!

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Deleted User 658

Post by Deleted User 658 »

After 7 months ownership The Born is no more, I hate to say it but the great design, looks and drive have lost out to the dreaded Infotainment and App, I’ve waited and waited hoping that each time I log on to the forums someone will have the answers, the solution, but no amount of complaint tickets to Cupra, calls to the dealership have sorted out the issues so many owners are suffering.

In the end the cars been sold, at a considerable loss, but driving pleasure has a value, Goodbye Cupra Born I hope one day someone resolves the issues.

Not many other vehicles offer such good looks and design, but plenty have apps that work and infotainment systems that function! I blame VAG for letting this happen, the born is a clone of the ID3 which has been about long enough to have it all sorted by now. During my search for a replacement I looked at the ID4 and ID5 both suffer the same issues! Even considered the plug in hybrid Ford Kuga which has horrendous low voltage battery drain issues, in the end there was only Tesla, not without their faults I know but the benefits out way, and their App OMG in comparison, its way ahead of any others including Kia, Hyundai, Ford etc, approx 40 plus OTA updates a year, yes really, VAG originally promised 1 every 3 months, think not! Even when an update for the App has arrived nothing seems to change.

Good luck to the Cupra Born, maybe one day you’ll be allowed to be the car you deserve to be.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hope the Tesla was bought 2nd hand - would not want to be financing the amount of depreciation those are suffering right now. Lots of cheap 2-3 year old examples around.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 658

True, that’s exactly what I’ve done 3,000 miler. What I wasn’t aware of, they come standard with 4 years warranty and no obligatory servicing, so factor the saved servicing costs in makes it cheaper again! I can’t justify the servicing bills on EV’s being so high when most of the checks would be done on an MOT @£40!
The depreciation has hit all EV’S even the Born, go punch your reg in any buy it now sites, make sure you’re sitting down first!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

2late wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:28 pm True, that’s exactly what I’ve done 3,000 miler. What I wasn’t aware of, they come standard with 4 years warranty and no obligatory servicing, so factor the saved servicing costs in makes it cheaper again! I can’t justify the servicing bills on EV’s being so high when most of the checks would be done on an MOT @£40!
The depreciation has hit all EV’S even the Born, go punch your reg in any buy it now sites, make sure you’re sitting down first!
The first loss is the worst loss, because of the dealership's margin. Buy a car for £39k and if you want rid immediately, best you'll get is £34k, for the dealership to sell it for RRP. The hit is a lot less the longer you have it when you're covering true depreciation and margin. Just agreed to sell mine for £31200 to a dealer I sold my ID3 to, it's going next week (I was promised a bill of sale today that I haven't had yet).

Great car IMO, I can put up with its MMI foibles, but doing long journeys now and motorway charging is expensive and inconvenient. If I'm going to be paying 25p a mile, I'm back to petrol - no lengthy charging on the way. For the shorter journeys and her commute, the wife is keeping her Born.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

in the end there was only Tesla
I considered a Model 3 standard range (now with 60kWh LFP battery) when my Born looked like it would never arrive. Especially as the price of a new Model 3 is now €46k here in Portugal and a new Born with just a few options will easily be €50k or more. Even my Born, where the dealer kept the price I ordered at was only just cheaper than a Model 3 at €44k. It was tempting, but in the end the Model 3 has 3 showstoppers for me:

* It's a saloon, not a hatchback. Even though the boot is huge, it's still not as practical as a hatch with the seats down.
* No option for tinted rear windows. Not because of the looks, but because of the sun protection they provide to the kids in the back.
* No Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto). Having a Tesla and then having to mount your phone somewhere to run Waze or ABRP is just ridiculous.

But each to their own. The Teslas a very good cars. On the software side no one can match them and their efficiency and range are incredible.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Completely understand your rationale @2late. I've tried hard not to conclude "in the end there was only Tesla" but a major part of the pleasure derived from an EV is the tech for me too, which obviously hits the Born quite hard and to varying degrees everything else compared to Tesla (in my opinion).
Deleted User 658

Hi Born Leccy, I've been watching your posts closely, you've been posting for a long time plus your recent works kept my interest; 'Will this be the answer?', when you announced things were still not sorted and every forum in Europe I've monitored still hadn't progressed, Time was up!, Your right like it or not but Tesla cars are a bench mark. I was really surprised to find an Apple Watch App that controls everything the phone App can do, including acting as the key if you want.
Good luck to you, hope your rewarded with a satisfactory solution.
Deleted User 490

Ha, thanks 2late. The dealer and I are getting on a little better now, it’s quite sad that I’m soooo happy that they’ve provided me with an informative update and a promise to keep working on solving the remaining glitches 😀

Love the idea of using an Apple Watch as a key! What Tesla did you go for?
Deleted User 658

Dual motor long range, mainly as the real world range in the winter at 80% charge and the loss to cold weather and the electric draw from lights, heating, wipers etc still gives 230+ miles. They are actually more efficient on motorways and dual carriage ways, so no more 55mph eco warrior stuff.
the thing is when I bought the Born the Model 3 was £13K more, out of reach, now the same age and miles as the born and its cost half that plus no servicing and a real world 4.1 to 4.5m/kwh.
I also like the idea the service / warranty guys come to you, so no 30 mile round trip to my nearest dealer and lost work.
Hopefully you'll be the man who will go down in the archives as the one who conquered the VAG group infotainment saga, you'd make a fortune out of that book. might even get a series on Netflix!!! I'll be watching.
Regards
Deleted User 490

😆😆😆😆😆😆