Intelligent Octopus and Cupra

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Lizzj18

Post by Lizzj18 »

Thank you so much for this info I will keep trying it’s just good to know that I’m not alone with my frustration!

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I will document this for the sake of completeness.
I finally had a successful overnight session with IO Go. I plugged the car in during the afternoon. Charging started immediately so I stopped it using the Cupra app. IO Go later set a charging plan (59% - 80%) for three sessions during the off-peak times. I also have the solar battery set to charge from 02:15 - 05:30. Dishwasher was also set for overnight.
Everything worked as scheduled. The car charging did not affect the solar battery so it was available during the day. Car was charged to 80%.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
phope

Post by phope »

Query about Ohme/Intelligent Go and scheduling

I have no schedules set in the car itself.
I have set the car to charge to 80% max.
I have scheduled the Ohme app to charge to 80% by 5.20am only when the cost is 7.5p (so charging occurs between 23:30 and 5.20
However, when I plug the car in when I arrive home, I get regular messages like this from the CUPRA app until charging actually starts

Is there a better/simpler way to set all this up so I only charge at 7.5p rates and not get this constant nag?

405495719_10163195222686632_5203386051409875399_n.jpg

Cupra Born | V2 | 77kWh E-Boost | Geyser Silver | North East Scotland
isoelectronic

Post by isoelectronic »

phope wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:52 pm Query about Ohme/Intelligent Go and scheduling

I have scheduled the Ohme app to charge to 80% by 5.20am only when the cost is 7.5p (so charging occurs between 23:30 and 5.20
However, when I plug the car in when I arrive home, I get regular messages like this from the CUPRA app until charging actually starts

Is there a better/simpler way to set all this up so I only charge at 7.5p rates and not get this constant nag?

Hey, I have the same setup as you with Ohme and IO. Currently, what works for me is:
  • Make sure no active scheduling is enabled on the Ohme App - I basically don't use the Ohme app at all!
  • I also don't use scheduling on the Cupra App but I don't think enabling that would affect things.
  • I plug into the Ohme charger and the car automatically starts charging - I stop this via the Cupra App.
  • After a few mins it'll try to charge again - I'll switch this off again via the Cupra App
  • After a while the Devices tab in the Octopus app will populate with the smart schedule for the night
  • Check in the morning, it's charged to the desired level, although I will have been spammed with Cupra/Ohme notifications as and when the Octopus schedule starts and stops :D
It's a fiddly procedure but it's worked for me so far. The only issue I've had is when the 12v battery drained it threw things off a little until I got the car back into a good state (I guess it prevented Octopus from contacting the car to turn it on overnight).
Cupra Born | V2 58kWh | Quasar Grey | Ohme ePod | Intelligent Octopus GO
headwrong

Post by headwrong »

phope wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:52 pm Query about Ohme/Intelligent Go and scheduling

I think there was a bit of a bug with the app yesterday (surprise surprise) as I was getting that notification every two minutes for a few hours while the car was plugged in – usually I just get it once when first plugging in as it complains that my zappi charger isn't letting it have any juice.
phope

Post by phope »

I've since been educated and can improve the experience by taking away the price cap setting in the Ohme app - I hadn't quite realised that any smart charging during "peak" hours was actually charged at off peak rates, instead of forcing it to only charge between 23:30 and 05:30
Dalgal

Post by Dalgal »

phope wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:25 pm I've since been educated and can improve the experience by taking away the price cap setting in the Ohme app - I hadn't quite realised that any smart charging during "peak" hours was actually charged at off peak rates, instead of forcing it to only charge between 23:30 and 05:30
Yeah I’ve only just started charging via the Ohme app - I was using the octopus app up until the update messed things up. Anyway, for the last two weeks I’ve been using it this way (just one charging schedule set on the Ohme app to charge to 80% by 8am) and all other setting disabled it has been smart charging as soon as I plug it in so we’ve benefitted from cheap electricity in the day. I think my Ave unit price was something like 13.5p kWh on my latest bill. Today I plugged in at 11.15 am and got 2 hrs of smart charging. Making the most of the loophole before it closes!
phope

Post by phope »

My inner accountant can't quite reconcile being charged off peak rates in peak times, but I'll trust the process until the loophole closes, like you say!
Dalgal

Post by Dalgal »

I didn’t trust it either til I got the bill this week ha!
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

phope wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:32 pm My inner accountant can't quite reconcile being charged off peak rates in peak times, but I'll trust the process until the loophole closes, like you say!
Here's a screenshot from the .pdf of my last IO Go bill. The red line is the tariff rate, and you can see that it drops from peak to off-peak during the times when IO Go schedules peak time EV charging. Note that these EV charges are around midday.
If all you have is National Grid supply it works brilliantly. However, if you have solar panels and battery storage, it will hijack some of your solar power to augment the grid supply. Just be aware!

IO Go chart 1.jpg

Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023