New Born Arriving Early March; Some Trepidation...

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
jimjamming

Post by jimjamming »

The iD.3 has just been refreshed and it does look as though they've taken those criticisms on board in terms of the interior. It looks a lot smarter now, though I think I still prefer the overall interior design of the Born; can't speak to the quality yet, as the early March delivery hasn't materialised...

A question on the in-built sat nav; is it any good? Does it give any information on chargers and their status on your journey?

Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I tried the native nav in my early days of ID3 ownership in '21 and it was OK, but have always used CarPlay in the Born so haven't got hands on experience others can share.

When I have had a play, it does look as if the native nav is improving all the time, its not in the same league as Google Maps in Satellite Map mode in my opinion, but it does have charger information and has the advantage of knowing what your SoC is so can take that into account when suggesting chargers on a route you are on. How intelligent it is regarding the status of the chargers I wouldn't know. It also doesn't initiate battery pre-conditioning in advance of arriving at the charger so that you get faster charging speeds. It does have integration with the HUD in that it will show you augmented reality directions overlaid onto the road ahead. It also shows live traffic information and will re-route.

All in all it's getting there and does have some inherent advantages over using CarPlay/Android (they have their own advantages of course), but some way to go before its at the Tesla level for example.
potxotxo

Post by potxotxo »

Thank you Born Leccy, that was a very comprehensive explanation. One question came to my mind reading it, though: Can you see the typical direction arrows and the mentioned augmented reality directions on the HUD when using Apple Maps through CarPlay? My car has not arrived yet and the one I tested from the dealer did not have a HUD. In that one I could see Apple Maps direction arrows on the driving cluster display though, which I didn't expected, honestly.
2023 Born V3ish 58 kWh
Deleted User 490

Good question. Yes, with Apple Maps you do get the direction arrows on the HUD display which mimic the ones you can also get on the driving cluster (Google Maps doesn't do either). I don't recall augmented reality directions when using Apple Maps, but next time I use it I'll check.
potxotxo

Post by potxotxo »

Thnx! great answer :) Very useful
2023 Born V3ish 58 kWh
Deleted User 490

It’s as I remembered, Apple Maps shows directions on the HUD (and instrument cluster), but not augmented reality, only the native nav does that.
potxotxo

Post by potxotxo »

Not bad! Most cars don’t display any Apple Maps info on the HUD.
Thank you for checking :)
2023 Born V3ish 58 kWh
jimjamming

Post by jimjamming »

So, early March turned to early April, and now to late April. Apparently the car is built and registered, but sat at the exit port awaiting a ship...
jimjamming

Post by jimjamming »

Aaaaaaand now early May. Had the same status since 13th February - "Built - Awaiting Transit".

Very frustrating to know it's ready and waiting at a port - hate to think how many seagulls have gone to the toilet on it.
Connolly

Post by Connolly »

Elea4 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:41 pm My 2 cents: I received my Born in November with Software version 3.2 and I had zero issues with registering the app. Never had any settings reset.

Once in a while the app is says my car is offline or that the doors are unlocked (when they clearly aren't) - other than that it's been OK. Other than turning on the heating 10min before jumping in the car, I don't use any routines so as a casual user I have no complaints.

My 360 degree cameras occasionally take a minute to go online - but the only thing that kinda gets on my nerves is when I switch to reverse and it randomly pops the car back into neutral for some unknown reason. User error? Also not really a fan of the hard plastic interior compared to my father's Mk 7.5 Golf R.

It's a pleasure to drive. Happy owner here.
Can I ask you how do you know your software version is 3.2 as it doesn't state it anywhere in the infotainment system. I think I have 3.2 (car manufactured Dec'22. There is a you tube video online showing 3.2 software in an ID Buzz and shows functionality in the Nav screen which I think is equivalent to mine - but don't know for sure?