Touchscreen updates

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Ben88 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 am
Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:17 pm
Ben88 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

The born seems like it’s having its issues, hopefully the get ironed out asap.
I have a mk 7.5 GTI and I’ve never had a problem with it.

Before ordering the born on a BIK/SS
I test drove the MG4, which is a great car for the price it’s a bit cheap inside but it drives really well.
I’ve also test drove a volvo C40 which was really nice inside good quality materials and a digital dash in front of you with sat nav but it was a bit more pricey on the BIK/SS, the born was in the middle of both, so I chose that.
I’m getting the feeling I should have chose the C40 just because of the issues I’m hearing with the born, I really hope the issues get sorted out.
Not uncommon for forums to have posts from people who have a "glass half empty" when it comes to their dislikes.
The issues seem minor to some owners and deal breakers for others.
Where are you based? I'm happy to show you over my Born if it helps clear your mind of what you are getting.
I'm in RM15 Essex.
Dave
Thanks Dave for the offer but I’m all the way in south west London Lol.

Luckily I managed to get a test drive for an hour from a dealer in Woking, I did pull down a side road and just fiddle around with stuff (Mainly infortainment) it’s true a lot of settings are buried deep in the system but once I’ve owned the car for a while, I’ll be used to it.
I love the car it drives great and it looks great, the brakes are a lot less sensitive compared to my golf, it’ll take time getting used to them or maybe cupra might be able to adjust them in future.

I took a 3 year BIK/SS on a v2 in quasar grey, I didn’t bother with any options because it’s got everything I need.
I will buy an after market 2 level boot floor because I’ve seen one for £165 better then paying the £400
Can you recommend any home EV charger brands?

Nice one Dave 8-)
You're welcome. I chose a tethered Pod Point Solo.
I wanted something that allowed the cable to be neatly wound around the charger housing. Very tidy. Had some minor issues with an RCBO and random slow charging but have to say Pod Point are on the case quickly when reported to rectify.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE

Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

The thread title is a misnomer: the touchscreen is driven by the Modular Infotainment Baukausten (MIB3) software platform on the ICAS3 system that's powered by a Snapdragon 820A:

https://www-meinid-com.translate.goog/w ... r_pto=wapp

Conversely the completely separate ICAS1 system handles much of the mission-critical vehicle logic:

https://www-meinid-com.translate.goog/w ... r_pto=wapp

Furthermore, there are updates like from version 3.1 to version 3.2 that don't even touch the ICAS3 infotainment system - which is why you can't distinguish if you're running 3.1 or 3.2 when you look at the system info page on the touchscreen. You need an OBD II dongle to read the subsystems to find out if specific ones have been upgraded.

The reason it takes so long to update the Born/ID series is because there are so many subsystems that need to be individually flashed then verified:

https://inf.news/en/tech/8c05118ccfb823 ... 3492d.html
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

@Ben88, assume you’re getting this variable boot floor part?
https://seatdirectparts.co.uk/parts/cup ... oot-floor/

It’s genuine a VW group part, went in to mine fine 👍 I also have a Pod Point Solo, random slow charging too, but that’s not purely down to the Pod Point as there are no issues charging our Mini. As Dave says, PP are responsive.

The list of issues is becoming reassuringly consistent, for a while I felt alone with the rogue heated steering wheel (which only seems to occur if there’s scheduled cabin heating or I start heating from the app adhoc). Had the accept new settings faff this morning, ambient lighting and ACC settings duly changed. Then for luck, when I got back the audio didn’t reduce volume when I opened the door 😆

@Elea4 what are the implications of your final comment about why updates take so long? E.g. multiple OTA updates will be needed to address the apparent multiple issues as they’re affecting different subsystems? Some updates will be dealer only? Both? Could we still be ranting about these issues in 6 months, a year do you think? Lastly are there no other clues to indicate whether it’s running 3.1 or 3.2 other than OBD? I got mine last Nov, but assume it’s 3.1 given the issues it has.
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Born Leccy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:40 am @Elea4 what are the implications of your final comment about why updates take so long? E.g. multiple OTA updates will be needed to address the apparent multiple issues as they’re affecting different subsystems? Some updates will be dealer only? Both? Could we still be ranting about these issues in 6 months, a year do you think? Lastly are there no other clues to indicate whether it’s running 3.1 or 3.2 other than OBD? I got mine last Nov, but assume it’s 3.1 given the issues it has.
I simply mean updates, whether OTA or in a workshop, take 6-8 hours to complete while each subsystem gets individually updated.

What's your Born's production date?

I believe 3.1 began shipping with vehicles built as of June 2022.

3.2 was introduced with vehicles built after the factory in Zwickau resumed operations after the summer break at the beginning of August 2022.

No idea what will address your issues. Some might be fixed with a TPI - but don't count on a major version-changing OTA any time soon.
Last edited by Elea4 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 490

Right, understand on the updates. UK cupra customer services encouraged me to get mine into a dealer and to their credit they are keeping an eye on the dealer, they know the they've ordered a new control unit for example. What they never do though is show any form of acknowledgement, dealer didn’t either. They come over like it’s just my car that has issues. Anyway, as per a post earlier in the thread, they will apply 2 TPI updates, didn’t do either as they want to replace the media controller first and said the steering update isn’t ready yet.

It was already built by the time I ordered it last October, assumed it had only just been built given it turned up in November.
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

Daveion wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:09 am
Ben88 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:27 am
Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:17 pm

Not uncommon for forums to have posts from people who have a "glass half empty" when it comes to their dislikes.
The issues seem minor to some owners and deal breakers for others.
Where are you based? I'm happy to show you over my Born if it helps clear your mind of what you are getting.
I'm in RM15 Essex.
Dave
Thanks Dave for the offer but I’m all the way in south west London Lol.

Luckily I managed to get a test drive for an hour from a dealer in Woking, I did pull down a side road and just fiddle around with stuff (Mainly infortainment) it’s true a lot of settings are buried deep in the system but once I’ve owned the car for a while, I’ll be used to it.
I love the car it drives great and it looks great, the brakes are a lot less sensitive compared to my golf, it’ll take time getting used to them or maybe cupra might be able to adjust them in future.

I took a 3 year BIK/SS on a v2 in quasar grey, I didn’t bother with any options because it’s got everything I need.
I will buy an after market 2 level boot floor because I’ve seen one for £165 better then paying the £400
Can you recommend any home EV charger brands?

Nice one Dave 8-)
You're welcome. I chose a tethered Pod Point Solo.
I wanted something that allowed the cable to be neatly wound around the charger housing. Very tidy. Had some minor issues with an RCBO and random slow charging but have to say Pod Point are on the case quickly when reported to rectify.
Nice one Dave appreciate the replies. I’ll give the pod point a ring!
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

Born Leccy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:40 am @Ben88, assume you’re getting this variable boot floor part?
https://seatdirectparts.co.uk/parts/cup ... oot-floor/

It’s genuine a VW group part, went in to mine fine 👍 I also have a Pod Point Solo, random slow charging too, but that’s not purely down to the Pod Point as there are no issues charging our Mini. As Dave says, PP are responsive.

The list of issues is becoming reassuringly consistent, for a while I felt alone with the rogue heated steering wheel (which only seems to occur if there’s scheduled cabin heating or I start heating from the app adhoc). Had the accept new settings faff this morning, ambient lighting and ACC settings duly changed. Then for luck, when I got back the audio didn’t reduce volume when I opened the door 😆

@Elea4 what are the implications of your final comment about why updates take so long? E.g. multiple OTA updates will be needed to address the apparent multiple issues as they’re affecting different subsystems? Some updates will be dealer only? Both? Could we still be ranting about these issues in 6 months, a year do you think? Lastly are there no other clues to indicate whether it’s running 3.1 or 3.2 other than OBD? I got mine last Nov, but assume it’s 3.1 given the issues it has.
Yeah that’s the exact one, I’m glad you’ve said it fits fine because it said it didn’t come with instructions lol.

How did you easy was it to fit?

£165 is a bargain compared to the £400, it came standard in my golf!!

Thanks Dave and Leccy for all the info, top lads!!
Deleted User 490

The boot floor isn’t too bad to fit @Ben88, the holes that the bolts screw into to fix the sides that the floor slots into are already in there, but you need to make holes in the carpet for them to pass through and it’s awkward leaning into the boot dong it! I think the £400 cargo pack has a couple of other things in it, like a 3 pin charger, but yeah £165 is way better 👍
Deleted User 614

Post by Deleted User 614 »

Ooh, this thread escalated quickly...
Deleted User 614

Post by Deleted User 614 »

So, every single day this week, it's applied an update and reset the car. Mad

How can it possibly need to update 5 days in a row (and yes, I did press accept each time). I can tell when the update is done, as the interior leds change mode (and therefore colour), or the heating changes.

Thing that annoys me the most.... the cheek that the touchscreen tells me to pay attention to the road while I am putting it all back as it should be! Stop messing it all up then!

Power cut while I was at work yesterday. It reset the mode on my Zappi charger to ECO and I didn't know. Woke up this morning and only 16% battery - it didn't charge (it started then stopped when I went to bed), so I am screwed and can't get to work this morning (which is a 75 min commute).

Hey ho. Bye EV's, it's been pretty rubbish lol (I do love this car, just not the tech behind it)

Its definitely Hybrid or petrol for me next time. Trouble is with Hybrid, you pay a lot extra for little advantage for people that commute a long way.