Touchscreen updates

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Ben88 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:21 pm
Daveion wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:36 am
Ben88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:22 pm Is the born really that bad?

I’ve got a v2 in quasar grey on order and the born seems so problematic and I’m having second thoughts after reading this forum lol
It can be off putting. However, its a car which is a great deal more than an electronic tablet that sits in the middle of the dash. I have had my car since June and an ID3 before it. I could do without the need to keep re-adjusting settings but the car overall more than makes up for those shortcomings which I believe will be fixed along the way.
Hopefully cupra do eventually fixes these issues!
What settings do you need to re-adjust? Sounds like a pain in the backside!
It's just a minor irritation and always AC settings on my car. Temperature settings mainly. It's not a big deal. What I find is the more I fiddle with settings in general the more my car will randomly default to some earlier setting choice that is no longer relevant to my current journey.
As I said earlier. Its a great car. I like the way the Born looks, the way it drives, the interior and especially the HUD. The good stuff far outweighs the minor irritations.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE

Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Come on, it's been 15 years since the Tesla Roadster. At this point, calling EVs "mis-sold" generally reflects a lack of research beforehand.

Yeah, it's like going to school again and modifying ingrained habits to accommodate for charging instead of refueling can be a real pain in the ass, especially while the whole charging infrastructure is slowly being built up.

As for running costs: Here in Germany I've got a Cupra Easy Charge card with these 2023 rates: 0,37€ /kWh AC, 0,46€ /kWh DC and 0,35€ /kWh DC Ionity.

In the city I charge with AC and on the autobahn I use Ionity fast DC chargers, so even with charging losses it's costing me about 7,33€ /100km (19,8kWh/100km x 0,37€/kWh).

In comparison a Golf 8 is around 8,97 - 10,60€ /100km based on current diesel prices here.

So ONLY using public chargers, I'm still paying 22-44% less than an equivalent Golf 8 diesel this winter... despite having a 150kw/204hp motor. We'll see what happens with prices next year.

Furthermore in Germany you can sell your CO2 credits for 300-400€/year, car insurance is cheaper for EVs and of course most studies show maintenance costs are lower.

Back to the topic of software, there haven't been any major version-change OTAs yet, but at least some Cupra/SEAT workshops in countries outside of Germany are upgrading Borns with 2.X to 3.2.

I suspect VW is mortified about rolling out OTAs that brick vehicles and do irreparable damage that incur thousands in repair costs:

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Ben88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:22 pm Is the born really that bad?

I’ve got a v2 in quasar grey on order and the born seems so problematic and I’m having second thoughts after reading this forum lol
It can be off putting. However, its a car which is a great deal more than an electronic tablet that sits in the middle of the dash. I have had my car since June and an ID3 before it. I could do without the need to keep re-adjusting settings but the car overall more than makes up for those shortcomings which I believe will be fixed along the way.
It’s a great car but the software problems get a bit wearing after a while.

Mine keeps turning on the heating steering wheel automatically when I’ve set it not to or sometimes the opposite. It keeps forgetting ACC settings like using road signs or the distance to keep and charging ambient lighting is pointless as it just does what it wants.

You know when it’s going to forget setting because it keeps coming up with a message saying new settings are available and do you want to apply them. If you hit cancel it will just keep asking until you get pissed off and say yes at which point it goes on a setting forgetting fest.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:03 am

Mine keeps turning on the heating steering wheel automatically when I’ve set it not to or sometimes the opposite. It keeps forgetting ACC settings like using road signs or the distance to keep and charging ambient lighting is pointless as it just does what it wants. It also loves to piss about with climate control setting. It particularly likes 22c for some reason, even through I’ve never set it at that myself. It is also quite insistent when it decides it likes 22c and keeps changing it back even right after I have set it back!

You know when it’s going to forget setting because it keeps coming up with a message saying new settings are available and do you want to apply them. If you hit cancel it will just keep asking until you get pissed off and say yes at which point it goes on a setting forgetting fest.
Deleted User 425

Post by Deleted User 425 »

Well said TheBornIdentity,

Couldn't have described the daily issues any better. Possibly adding the volume issues, the never works more than once reduce music volume when opening drivers door, the random defaulting of rear PDC sensors.

In principle we should just sit in the car, press brake and engage drive, then go (quick right!), BUT NO, its sit, wait for screen, and wait for the screen.... to then get me to agree its me (the only driver profile registered), then scroll pages to check ACC is actually still set to my preferred settings ie on!, (when she goes off it often includes turning V2X off, so that's a few clicks to sort out) then choose my preferred drive mode, then engage drive. Occasionally we don't even get the welcome screen, so that means turn off and turn on again. By which time in my previous car I'd be 1 mile down the road.

What gets me is no other product brand ie Apple with the phones or LG TV's would be brought to market or stay in production with ongoing issues in their operating systems, ie turn TV on and it might remember your tuning channels, or iPhone doesn't remember contacts etc, yet VAG think what we have is acceptable.

Even more, how the hell did they get safety / type approval to sell right hand drive cars with left hand drive wipers!, surely it's a safety issue? Every time you use the wipers be it a quick wash wipe or clean morning dew your left with a line of residue water perfectly in the drivers view. My understanding is anything in the drivers eye view is illegal ie cracks in windscreens, placing items onto the screen such as sat naps, phone holders all have to be away from the main viewing area. Is there a legal claim for not being fit for purpose?

The car is a clone of the ID3, which has been out long enough to have passed the teething stage, the Born should be a far more polished product.

I recently drove my sons Kona Electric, which had a far more intuitive and quicker Sat nav, buttons for most functions, much sharper brakes, equally if not quicker acceleration response, better miles/kwh, a softer ride but that could be the larger tyre walls on 18" rims, definitely more tyre noise inside, but a nice car. His App has never had an issue in 7 months, he can lock and unlock the car via the App. So come on VAG its not rocket science.

I'm going to demo some others over the next few months, then unless these Born issues are resolved I'll be cutting my loses and switching brands, most likely to the Chinese / Koreans.
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

TheGRP wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:28 am Well said TheBornIdentity,

Couldn't have described the daily issues any better. Possibly adding the volume issues, the never works more than once reduce music volume when opening drivers door, the random defaulting of rear PDC sensors.

In principle we should just sit in the car, press brake and engage drive, then go (quick right!), BUT NO, its sit, wait for screen, and wait for the screen.... to then get me to agree its me (the only driver profile registered), then scroll pages to check ACC is actually still set to my preferred settings ie on!, (when she goes off it often includes turning V2X off, so that's a few clicks to sort out) then choose my preferred drive mode, then engage drive. Occasionally we don't even get the welcome screen, so that means turn off and turn on again. By which time in my previous car I'd be 1 mile down the road.

What gets me is no other product brand ie Apple with the phones or LG TV's would be brought to market or stay in production with ongoing issues in their operating systems, ie turn TV on and it might remember your tuning channels, or iPhone doesn't remember contacts etc, yet VAG think what we have is acceptable.

Even more, how the hell did they get safety / type approval to sell right hand drive cars with left hand drive wipers!, surely it's a safety issue? Every time you use the wipers be it a quick wash wipe or clean morning dew your left with a line of residue water perfectly in the drivers view. My understanding is anything in the drivers eye view is illegal ie cracks in windscreens, placing items onto the screen such as sat naps, phone holders all have to be away from the main viewing area. Is there a legal claim for not being fit for purpose?

The car is a clone of the ID3, which has been out long enough to have passed the teething stage, the Born should be a far more polished product.

I recently drove my sons Kona Electric, which had a far more intuitive and quicker Sat nav, buttons for most functions, much sharper brakes, equally if not quicker acceleration response, better miles/kwh, a softer ride but that could be the larger tyre walls on 18" rims, definitely more tyre noise inside, but a nice car. His App has never had an issue in 7 months, he can lock and unlock the car via the App. So come on VAG its not rocket science.

I'm going to demo some others over the next few months, then unless these Born issues are resolved I'll be cutting my loses and switching brands, most likely to the Chinese / Koreans.

The born seems like it’s having its issues, hopefully the get ironed out asap.
I have a mk 7.5 GTI and I’ve never had a problem with it.

Before ordering the born on a BIK/SS
I test drove the MG4, which is a great car for the price it’s a bit cheap inside but it drives really well.
I’ve also test drove a volvo C40 which was really nice inside good quality materials and a digital dash in front of you with sat nav but it was a bit more pricey on the BIK/SS, the born was in the middle of both, so I chose that.
I’m getting the feeling I should have chose the C40 just because of the issues I’m hearing with the born, I really hope the issues get sorted out.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Ben88 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

I test drove the MG4, which is a great car for the price it’s a bit cheap inside but it drives really well.
I’ve also test drove a volvo C40 which was really nice inside good quality materials and a digital dash in front of you with sat nav but it was a bit more pricey on the BIK/SS, the born was in the middle of both, so I chose that.
I’m getting the feeling I should have chose the C40 just because of the issues I’m hearing with the born, I really hope the issues get sorted out.
Not uncommon for forums to have posts from people who have a "glass half empty" when it comes to their dislikes.
The issues seem minor to some owners and deal breakers for others.
Where are you based? I'm happy to show you over my Born if it helps clear your mind of what you are getting.
I'm in RM15 Essex.
Dave
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:03 am

Mine keeps turning on the heating steering wheel automatically when I’ve set it not to or sometimes the opposite. It keeps forgetting ACC settings like using road signs or the distance to keep and charging ambient lighting is pointless as it just does what it wants.

Had my car since December and all has been ok until recently. I have started getting the new user setting are available message on the screen.
Now for some reason, sometimes my heated steering wheel is on when not asked for!
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey
Ben88

Post by Ben88 »

Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:17 pm
Ben88 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Not uncommon for forums to have posts from people who have a "glass half empty" when it comes to their dislikes.
The issues seem minor to some owners and deal breakers for others.
Where are you based? I'm happy to show you over my Born if it helps clear your mind of what you are getting.
I'm in RM15 Essex.
Dave
Thanks Dave for the offer but I’m all the way in south west London Lol.

Luckily I managed to get a test drive for an hour from a dealer in Woking, I did pull down a side road and just fiddle around with stuff (Mainly infortainment) it’s true a lot of settings are buried deep in the system but once I’ve owned the car for a while, I’ll be used to it.
I love the car it drives great and it looks great, the brakes are a lot less sensitive compared to my golf, it’ll take time getting used to them or maybe cupra might be able to adjust them in future.

I took a 3 year BIK/SS on a v2 in quasar grey, I didn’t bother with any options because it’s got everything I need.
I will buy an after market 2 level boot floor because I’ve seen one for £165 better then paying the £400
Can you recommend any home EV charger brands?

Nice one Dave 8-)
Cliffjp

Post by Cliffjp »

I’d recommend the Podpoint