Touchscreen updates

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 614

Post by Deleted User 614 »

Hi all

I am sure this has been covered many times already.
Does taking the Born back to the garage and asking them to sort out the touchscreen update issues actually result in anything different than the 'over the air' updates you receive?

Had my V2 since October and I love the car, and the build quality but the tech inside is driving me up the wall.

I commute 2.5hr a day in this car (and no... not cheaper than petrol :roll: ), but I have never had a car where I spend so much time setting and resetting features of the car.
It's literally a daily process and many time it can be 2 or 3 times in the same day. Might not sound much, but I stretched to buy this car.

Turning things off that should not be on, and on that shouldn't be off. If it cannot remember settings, why not just start with everything off!
The seat and steering wheel heaters have a mind of their own. No amount of 'learning' seems to fix that.

I will be driving along and suddenly notice the temp is different, or the interior lights have changed colour, or the seat heaters are back on, or the steering wheel is hot.... maddening.

My worry is how much time my eyes are off the road. How do I check what software version my touchscreen is currently running on? I always accept the updates to try and keep it up to date (and accept the fact that it will all reset again!).

I have emailed the dealer and got no response, and unfortunately I am now almost at he point of returning the car and getting something else. It really cannot be that hard to fix this stuff, and by now they should have nailed these issues.

I think it's silly things like this that are killing the future of EV's (that and the poor UK charging infrastructure :roll: ). If I changed this next week, I would go straight back to petrol no question.

Anyone else hassled their dealer regarding the tech?

Rachx

Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

Hi Rach,
There is a fix to stop the settings continually altering. You need to go to your dealer and tell them.
I had mine done last week and all settings I have set have remained.
It took around 2hrs at the dealers.
Keith
V2 BORN 58 Vapor Grey
Ordered 22/3/22
Delivered/ picked up 9/6/22
Deleted User 614

OK Keith thanks.
Got in tonight and it couldn't find my profile. Useless!
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

It is frustrating, but these problems aren’t necessarily because it’s an EV, ironically the EV side of MEB cars is good, as is pretty much everything else really. Our other EV and a friend’s Tesla don’t do this stuff, you don’t have to go back to Petrol 😀
daern

Post by daern »

Rach1987 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:24 pm I commute 2.5hr a day in this car (and no... not cheaper than petrol :roll: ),
I'm guessing that you can't charge at home? This is a real problem for future adoption as, so far, the early adopters have been largely people with plenty of disposable money to spend on Tesla's apple-like prices, and off-street parking for charging. The next wave will be those looking for lower running costs without necessarily having somewhere to plug it in overnight and, right now, the economics really aren't working. For me, charging at home gives me a driving cost of 2-3p/mile (excluding the cost of the car), which is around 1/10th of the equivalent for my other, diesel car. But this all goes out of the window if I had to pay 80p/kWh at the "pump", at which point the per-mile cost becomes almost equivalent which, when you factor in the range / infrastructure inconvenience of an EV, makes it a far less compelling argument (even if the driving experience is universally better).

See how this evolves over the coming years, but right now, it ain't working.
un_born

Post by un_born »

I have to concur that the issues we have with the Born are not EV issues but more VW issues with lack of development before general release. It's not surprising why the other newcomers like the Koreans are doing so well. At least everything works like it should.

If I knew the Born had so many issues, I seriously would of considered another brand of EV. But I've been Seat since 2015 and never had any issues until with the Born.
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Our ID3 was buggy on v2.0 and v2.1, it had a propensity to go offline for a few days, various spurious warnings would pop up and everything was laggy. It was a Max so there was plenty of tech to have issues, but with 2.3 and then the 12v battery/v2.4 update it settled down and wasn’t annoying at all. I thought a Born would come with its great design and sportier nature plus a stable v3.x software base 😭
Deleted User 614

No, I can charge at home, but I don't have a cheap rate to charge with. If I change to the cheaper night rate, the day KW rate increases and offsets any benefit (no solar or anything either).
They also insist on a smart meter that I certainly don't want.

Our electric bill has gone biblical. I knew it would be much higher, but still.

I got in this morning and the interior leds have all reset colour again. Tiny thing, but you just give up in the end.

It cannot be that hard to iron out bugs like this. I can live with the snails pace boot time, but there surely is no need to clear data every upgrade.

I am on the fence. I was going to change the car in two years, but there is NO WAY we are going all electric by 2030, so I think it is entirely probable I will go back to a petrol in a year.
I like wild camping and this is useless for that. I knew that, but also didn't realise the range they declared was so inaccurate (plus they never mentioned the 20%-80% recommended charging routine).
It just adds grief to a planned journey, having to work out charge stops (which are madly expensive too).

We will see. Ultimately, I just fully expect the 2030 date to get kicked down the road and people hanging on to their petrol/diesel cars they bought just before the coming ban for many years.

If this Cupra was available in a petrol, I would be back at the dealer tomorrow, because I love the styling (although my God, it's impossible to clean!... so many details, nooks and crannies)
daern

Post by daern »

Rach1987 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:48 pm No, I can charge at home, but I don't have a cheap rate to charge with. If I change to the cheaper night rate, the day KW rate increases and offsets any benefit (no solar or anything either).
They also insist on a smart meter that I certainly don't want.
I'm a pretty heavy 'leccy user (kids, work in IT, tons of pointless shit around the house spinning the meter) and ran the numbers on my own situation. With 12,000 miles/year (and the vast majority predicted to be home-charged), we were very comfortably better off with a cheap overnight rate than retaining a conventional, fixed rate tariff . Can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but, taking into account charging, the bill was predicted to be something between £50 and £100 per month less on a 4 hour cheap-rate tariff, even allowing for the slightly raised daytime rate. This has turned out to be more or less bang on the money, too. If you were a bit more frugal with your leccy use than we are (not hard!) the results will be even more favourable towards an EV-specific rate.

Yes, you would need a smart meter, however. These are key, as they handle the dual-rate timings - there's no longer a second meter, it just gives you two readings based on usage at different times of day. I can understand people's reticence here, especially if you think there is *any* chance of falling into fuel poverty in the future and risk being forcibly shifted to a pre-pay meter - oddly, this was a "benefit" they forgot to mention in the smart meter advertising in the press...
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

We can run a number of appliances to benefit from the off-peak rate, such as tumble dryer and dishwasher as well as the EV. We will have 2 EVs by end of March, so off-peak is going to be hammered!
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm