New owner of Cupra Born - beginner questions

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

In my experience while the AUTO function will switch the headlights and rear lights on according to the level of light, there is no independent control of the rear lights other than the rear fog light.

There is an exterior lights setting that affects when the lights are activated by AUTO, you can choose early, medium or late.

mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Software 4.0 will require new ICAS3 hardware, so it doesn't look like any of the current Born/ID-series owners will get that
@Elea4 you mean that all current Born/ID series cars will never get any upgrades beyond 3.x? What is the ICAS3 hardware and could it be updated to enable further updates?

btw, how do you know so much about these things? You seem like you have inside knowledge :)
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

mluisbrown wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:03 pm
Software 4.0 will require new ICAS3 hardware, so it doesn't look like any of the current Born/ID-series owners will get that
@Elea4 you mean that all current Born/ID series cars will never get any upgrades beyond 3.x? What is the ICAS3 hardware and could it be updated to enable further updates?

btw, how do you know so much about these things? You seem like you have inside knowledge :)
I had the same question. I couldn't find this kind of stuff on Google!
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Oh I don't have any insider info :oops:

Last January I started reading the German born-forum.de and ID-series meinid.com forum and keep my eyes on posts from a few users who share very deep technical tidbits. I also hang out here though because I grew up in an English-speaking household ;)

What I've gathered is that the upcoming ID.3 facelift is only cosmetic and it will likely ship with s/w version 3.5, as seen in all the new youtube videos covering it. The software differences seem to be quite minimal so far. There's the new Function-on-Demand store where you can purchase the following options:

- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Ambient light
- Navigation function
- Distance cruise control (ACC)

Most Borns already ship with all that so it's a wash.

That said, there could be a myriad of changes to other subsystems so the only way to find out is to actually use it and compare once its out.

Re. s/w 4.0: VW has stated the the new ID.7 and all the other 2025 model years (so coming out next year) will require a more powerful infotainment unit to run their new server architecture, SFD2, etc.

Speaking of coding (eg. OBD11/VCDS), it seems VW wants to increase the security of SFD and introduce SFD 2 which could potentially lock down a lot of the modding scene.

So, all of this points to VW moving on from our current hardware and investing more effort and features into next year's hardware platform.

What could that mean for us owners? We'd still get map updates and for a while at least bug fixes and security updates. Just don't expect any Tesla-style commitment to longer-term updates - and knowing what a messy state Cariad is in, I'm certainly not holding my breath for any major software updates past 3.5.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Last January I started reading the German born-forum.de and ID-series meinid.com forum and keep my eyes on posts from a few users who share very deep technical tidbits. I also hang out here though because I grew up in an English-speaking household
Thanks for the links. I'm half German so I will check those out 👍
Just don't expect any Tesla-style commitment to longer-term updates - and knowing what a messy state Cariad is in, I'm certainly not holding my breath for any major software updates past 3.5.
That's a shame 😢
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.