Cupra Born Pet Hates

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Yeah, it’s in to the dealer in a couple of weeks to look at all these annoyances @monkeyhanger thanks for tip about 6 months.

Everybody’s different @smbmetal, these things that are being pointed out are annoyances that are for me anyway totally out weighed by all those good things I said about the car.

They’re not EV specific, VW group could have done a better job, but this is a new car running on a new architecture and new systems. We also have a Mini Electric, it’s faultless but it’s using more mature tech.

Plus of course I’m not putting pollutants into the air each time I take it out. That means a lot to me.

smbmetal

Post by smbmetal »

You're right there @bornleccy, everyone is different and my next car will no doubt be electric and having just sat (not driven) in a Born V2 I was very impressed of the inside, even if the quality wasn't quite up to my current car's level, I did really like it. I thought it was a step up from the ID3 in terms of feeling more luxurious.

Not trying to knock it all, just think VW have done a poor job with the software which is really not good enough IMO and they don't appear very quick in getting things fixed either.

Until these "Pet Hates" which there are quite a few reading various posts on here are fixed I'm afraid that currently stops me from changing.
MikeBornV2

Post by MikeBornV2 »

I think the only bit about the Born that I'm still finding annoying is the way that the supposed "learning" functions keep changing my settings. I don't want the heated steering wheel coming on automatically when it's cold. I do want the mirrors to dip when I put it into reverse. And so on. But then a few days later "there are new settings for your account" and boom. Back to default. Very irritating.
V2, no eBoost, in Blue.
Took the DCC and panoramic roof options.
Deleted User 490

Ive read the flipping manual and in CLIMA settings if you've got the "Turn steering wheel on depending to temperature" set to Off and if you haven't got the seats set to come on in your stationary air-conditioning settings (scheduled or when unlocking) there's no reason for the wheel to come on. I haven't tested exhaustively, but the one time I did switch the pre heat schedule off and the heating on when unlocking off, it didn't happen. Regardless of that though, it's a bug.

The other thing buried in the user manual is it will only learn that you want the seat heating on when it's cold if you switch them on level 3 as soon as you can after getting getting in the car. Apparently once it's learnt you can refine what level you want it to come on, but it will only initially learn if they're at the highest level. Explains why mine hasn't learnt anything about the seats as Ive been turning the seats on at level 1.
RG22

Post by RG22 »

Hey preddall.
Re the reversing camera not having a dirt cover. I presume you realise (as I didn't at first) that the camera has a wash system and that if you use the rear screen wash whilst the car is in reverse, it washes the camera as well? I find it very effective, although it's a shame you can't use it separately to the screen washer to save on water.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

RG22 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:34 pm Hey preddall.
Re the reversing camera not having a dirt cover. I presume you realise (as I didn't at first) that the camera has a wash system and that if you use the rear screen wash whilst the car is in reverse, it washes the camera as well? I find it very effective, although it's a shame you can't use it separately to the screen washer to save on water.
I never knew that. I wipe mine over when ever I go to the boot. To be sure, it only washes whilst the washers are activated whilst in reverse?
Is their a dedicated washer nozzle?
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
RG22

Post by RG22 »

Yes, if you look at it closely you will see a small post next to it. I have a V3 with no extras, so I'm presuming it's the same on all specs. If you put it in reverse and use the rear washer whilst watching the reverse view video screen, you will be able to see the water rush across the lense.
Deleted User 490

Great work @RG22, the camera washer seems to do a very good job 👍

Can take dirty camera off the annoyance list 🙂
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Born Leccy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 am Great work @RG22, the camera washer seems to do a very good job 👍

Yes, we'll noted RG22. Going to test that this morning.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Born Leccy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 am Great work @RG22, the camera washer seems to do a very good job 👍

Well, it may work but it seems to me like a Band-Aid patch rather than a proper solution. What you're saying is that we should spray water all over the back of the car just to clean a camera lens that could (and should) be protected from the elements. It works perfectly well on the Golf (and I assume the ID.x range) so why have this bad design flaw on a car that is otherwise better than the ID.3?

I can live with the other minor issues like the left-hand-drive wipers, the drive selector being on the right side of the binnacle instead of the left, and the lack of memory on the electric seat positions. I also have faith that eventually all the little bugs in the software will be fixed. But anyone who has ever owned and driven a hatchback knows that the back of the car gets very dirty very quickly so there is no real excuse for the camera being out in the open. ETTO, but dirty camera stays on my annoyance list. :)
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023