Hi All ! Company car ordered

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The App reports status of doors and windows.
D and B become a personal preference. B is good around town and in traffic as you might expect.
D just glides along and if not driving aggressively using regen braking is a great drive but in my experience not quite as efficient re miles/kW as B.
Worth remembering a point someone in the thread has already said. In ACC (Cruise) B is automatically engaged. Same for Performance Mode. No gliding sadly when you select Performance.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE

RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

daern wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:43 am
RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 am Thanks for that ! So I guess you would use B mode around town maybe but D on a motorway or duel carriageway where you wouldn't need regen braking.
On the motorway I'd nearly always have the cruise control enabled, so it doesn't really matter whether it's in D or B. Generally, we just leave it in B all of the time. It doesn't actually make much difference as the first part of the brake pedal travel is purely regenerative anyway, so you don't really lose anything braking manually providing you're not stamping the pedal past the regenerative zone and into the mechanical braking bit.
RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 am My kids will be glad of the pre heating the cabin, they are always freezing when they get in the car lately. Is it nice and warm when you get in your car ?
Yes, just needs turning on about 10-15 minutes before departure and this is plenty to have it nice and warm and with the windows defrosted. Be aware that it takes a few minutes for the car to wake and pick up the request so it's not an instantaneous thing, but generally it's heating up a few minutes after I request it. Personally, I don't use the app, but rather the Home Assistant integration - if this is your cup of tea, there's a thread on this forum discussing it more fully.
RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 am Is the heated steering wheel good ?
Honestly, a bit too good. Even on the lowest setting, it's like trying to steer using a freshly cooked doughnut, straight out of the fryer. I rarely use it.

Regarding charging, if at all possible I would recommend getting a 7kW home charger. I appreciate that this might not be possible for everyone's circumstances, but it charges 3x quicker than a 3-pin plug charger, which is essential if you want to charge using cheap, overnight electricity. e.g. my 7kW charger typically puts about 50% charge back in the battery in the 4 hour window between 2am and 6am, and I get charged about 1/4 of the daytime rate for this. Had I only a slow "granny" charger (this is the term often used for the 3-pin-plug chargers), it would be more like 15% charge which (especially in the current cold weather) might be as little as 25 miles added range.
Thanks for all the info ! Good to know these things beforehand.
With the keyless entry is it standard on all models ? As in you keep the key in your pocket and the door unlocks when you touch the handle ? I've also read that it's part of a tech pack. Not sure which is right.
Cupra Born 58kWh V1 Raleigh Red - Ordered !
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Daveion wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:27 am The App reports status of doors and windows.
D and B become a personal preference. B is good around town and in traffic as you might expect.
D just glides along and if not driving aggressively using regen braking is a great drive but in my experience not quite as efficient re miles/kW as B.
Worth remembering a point someone in the thread has already said. In ACC (Cruise) B is automatically engaged. Same for Performance Mode. No gliding sadly when you select Performance.
[/quote

Thanks for that. Is the ACC good ? Do you use it much ?
daern

Post by daern »

Keyless entry is not standard - in the UK it needs Tech(M) or Tech(L) packs. I don't have it on mine (so I need to press a button to lock/unlock) but it is still keyless ignition (i.e. can drive away with the key in your pocket).

Regarding the ACC, Iin my own experience, I love it and use it all of the time in both motorway traffic and just driving in normal rush-hour queues. It works very well and is easy to use, stopping and starting the car as required. If it has one weak spot, it's that it doesn't handle coming up behind queuing traffic very well, and brakes rather late and abruptly, but knowing this I'll just knock it off and coast up to the queue on the regeneration myself. Once in a queue, it behaves pretty well, although occasionally gets caught out requiring a bit of abrupt braking to correct. It's never gave me cause to question it, however, and I use it daily.

One note: it doesn't work if the windscreen is not pretty much completely clear, so quite often does not work first thing in the morning if the glass has been frozen, or in snow (not too bothered about this!) or in very heavy rain. It does warn you about it, so there's no surprises.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am
Daveion wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:27 am The App reports status of doors and windows.
[/quote

Yes. I have had ACC on my 3 previous cars so use it a lot. Once I'm on a road that I know is going on for a few miles I engage ACC and can tweak the speed setting using SET for 1 mile down and RES for 1 mile increase, viewing all via the HUD.
I also lately drive with eco assist ON which gives a bit of regen braking even in D when approaching roundabouts and junctions. May not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Daveion wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:06 pm
RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am
[/quote

Yes. I have had ACC on my 3 previous cars so use it a lot. Once I'm on a road that I know is going on for a few miles I engage ACC and can tweak the speed setting using SET for 1 mile down and RES for 1 mile increase, viewing all via the HUD.
I also lately drive with eco assist ON which gives a bit of regen braking even in D when approaching roundabouts and junctions. May not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
With the HUD does it show what's on the little driver display but saves you looking down at it ?
Do you use Apple CarPlay in your Born ?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:17 pm
With the HUD does it show what's on the little driver display but saves you looking down at it ?
Yes, like a summary of things. Current speed, speed limit etc. In the space above the HUD ribbon type display is an area where some animation appears. The distance bar to the vehicle in front, right and left turn arrows that grow as you near the turning point and other junction info if you are in planned satnav route. The HUD position can also be shifted up and down to suit different driver positions as well as some rotational movement.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 am
Yes, like a summary of things. Current speed, speed limit etc. In the space above the HUD ribbon type display is an area where some animation appears. The distance bar to the vehicle in front, right and left turn arrows that grow as you near the turning point and other junction info if you are in planned satnav route. The HUD position can also be shifted up and down to suit different driver positions as well as some rotational movement.
I use Android Auto and quite like Google maps as my satnav screen when on longer trips/holidays.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Daveion wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:08 am
Daveion wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 am

I use Android Auto and quite like Google maps as my satnav screen when on longer trips/holidays.
I use Google maps too through Carplay in my Focus. Does the phone connect to android auto as soon as you get in the car or do you have to select it manually ?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I can't recall. Not used it recently as I prefer my USB music to Spotify for simplicity.
From memory I think it goes straight in when your phone connects.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE