Hi All ! Company car ordered

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Hi everyone,

I have just ordered a V1 in Vapour Grey as my next company car to be delivered later in the year. I'm so glad i have found this forum so i can read about others Born experiences and ask you guys questions before mine arrives.

Any advice you can give would be very welcomed :D
Cupra Born 58kWh V1 Raleigh Red - Ordered !

RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Can anyone tell me what charging cables come with the car please ?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Type 2 only.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi RedDevil1999
Welcome to the forum.
To be fair the Born looks good to me in all colours so Vapour Grey why not.
Difficult to give advice before you get the car but if its your first EV make sure you understand how the car's range is affected by different ambient temperatures, driving style and how you use Air Conditioning/cabin heating. Other than that generalised advice to any new EV owner the car is brilliant. Enjoy.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm Type 2 only.
Ah thank you for your reply, so where can i get a 3 pin charge lead for a house socket(in the garage) ? Are they expensive ?
Last edited by RedDevil1999 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:29 pm Hi RedDevil1999
Welcome to the forum.
To be fair the Born looks good to me in all colours so Vapour Grey why not.
Difficult to give advice before you get the car but if its your first EV make sure you understand how the car's range is affected by different ambient temperatures, driving style and how you use Air Conditioning/cabin heating. Other than that generalised advice to any new EV owner the car is brilliant. Enjoy.
Hi Daveion

Thanks for your reply. Yes i agree the Born looks great in all the colours, I just didn't want to pay extra for a different colour but that's fine cos i do like the Vapour Grey.
In B mode what is the regen braking like on the Born ? Is it good enough for one pedal driving or do you still use your brake much too ? Will it bring you to a complete stop in B mode when you don't touch the accelerator or does it still creep a bit ?
How's your experience with the app ? I'm seeing lots of bad reviews and problems with it. I hope its much better when i get my car.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

There is a wide range of views about D and B drive modes. The regen in B is not that aggressive but you can one one pedal drive with some anticipation. It won't bring you to a complete hault so slows to around 3 mph. That's reasonable and that final bit of pedal braking helps keep the discs clean.
The App is a mixed bag with owners as well.
I live with its shortfalls because the car is so damn good. For me setting the battery SoC level, seeing the charging rate (reports in km/hr) and pre conditioning the cabin have all been 99% reliable.
On the whole the App is adequate, nothing more.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
RedDevil1999

Post by RedDevil1999 »

Daveion wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:57 pm There is a wide range of views about D and B drive modes. The regen in B is not that aggressive but you can one one pedal drive with some anticipation. It won't bring you to a complete hault so slows to around 3 mph. That's reasonable and that final bit of pedal braking helps keep the discs clean.
The App is a mixed bag with owners as well.
I live with its shortfalls because the car is so damn good. For me setting the battery SoC level, seeing the charging rate (reports in km/hr) and pre conditioning the cabin have all been 99% reliable.
On the whole the App is adequate, nothing more.
Thanks for that ! So I guess you would use B mode around town maybe but D on a motorway or duel carriageway where you wouldn't need regen braking.
Good to know re the app. Does it tell you the car is locked and the windows are closed etc ? My kids will be glad of the pre heating the cabin, they are always freezing when they get in the car lately. Is it nice and warm when you get in your car ? Is the heated steering wheel good ?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RedDevil1999 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:04 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm Type 2 only.
Ah thank you for your reply, so where can i get a 3 pin charge lead for a house socket(in the garage) ? Are they expensive ?
They're anywhere between £150 and £250 (Screwfix being the cheapest). I personally wouldn't rely on one unless its a very short term thing while waiting for a proper 7kW/32A charger to be fitted. Household 13A plug sockets aren't meant to be pulling 10A for 8 hours at a time.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
daern

Post by daern »

RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 am Thanks for that ! So I guess you would use B mode around town maybe but D on a motorway or duel carriageway where you wouldn't need regen braking.
On the motorway I'd nearly always have the cruise control enabled, so it doesn't really matter whether it's in D or B. Generally, we just leave it in B all of the time. It doesn't actually make much difference as the first part of the brake pedal travel is purely regenerative anyway, so you don't really lose anything braking manually providing you're not stamping the pedal past the regenerative zone and into the mechanical braking bit.
RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 am My kids will be glad of the pre heating the cabin, they are always freezing when they get in the car lately. Is it nice and warm when you get in your car ?
Yes, just needs turning on about 10-15 minutes before departure and this is plenty to have it nice and warm and with the windows defrosted. Be aware that it takes a few minutes for the car to wake and pick up the request so it's not an instantaneous thing, but generally it's heating up a few minutes after I request it. Personally, I don't use the app, but rather the Home Assistant integration - if this is your cup of tea, there's a thread on this forum discussing it more fully.
RedDevil1999 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 am Is the heated steering wheel good ?
Honestly, a bit too good. Even on the lowest setting, it's like trying to steer using a freshly cooked doughnut, straight out of the fryer. I rarely use it.

Regarding charging, if at all possible I would recommend getting a 7kW home charger. I appreciate that this might not be possible for everyone's circumstances, but it charges 3x quicker than a 3-pin plug charger, which is essential if you want to charge using cheap, overnight electricity. e.g. my 7kW charger typically puts about 50% charge back in the battery in the 4 hour window between 2am and 6am, and I get charged about 1/4 of the daytime rate for this. Had I only a slow "granny" charger (this is the term often used for the 3-pin-plug chargers), it would be more like 15% charge which (especially in the current cold weather) might be as little as 25 miles added range.