Disappointing charging rate

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Ah, I recall that post but couldn’t find it earlier, I was thinking it could turn a 1 hour charge into something more like 30mins )based on the amount of hanging around we did on trips recently) by seeing 70-120kw more often instead of 30-50kw, but if it’s only 5-10 mins, yeah, not worth it.

Read somewhere that BMW iX1 has a battery pre-condition button, simple but probably effective. On the Hyundai example the pre-conditioning took the inlet temp from 9 to 20-odd, previously the guy had done it by ragging the car prior to charging, but said that was hit and miss.

Gesp5151

Post by Gesp5151 »

I am now in formal dispute with a Cupra retailer about 2 charging issues one of which is that the vehicle never gets near the stated DC 5-80% performance on the Cupra website. So far absolutely no answers from Cupra or retailer.
Gesp5151

Post by Gesp5151 »

The Cupra website makes a clear unambiguous statement of DC charging performance. Owners are entitled to get that. Issues such as SOC are built in to the stated figure. It is Cupra's choice to advertise that performance and to do so with no parameters as to temperature etc. Interestingly my new EV hit the stated average DC charge speed first time no fuss!!
Deleted User 490

Best of luck with that! I was always dissatisfied with the DC charging, never saw the “real-world” fastned speed for 10-80% in 31 minutes, let alone the “theoretical” Cupra speeds you’re talking about.

IMG_5332.jpeg

Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

For the 58kWh Borns, the advertised ideal capability is charging 10-80% / 39kWh in 31min (not including ~8% charging losses).

This matches up with my experience last weekend during my 1600km trip from Germany to the Netherlands and back.

I was pleased to see peaks of 132kw at Ionity chargers and could charge 10-80% in about 30-32 minutes when the outside temperature was 23C while driving 100-130km/h before charging.

On another leg of the trip when it was 18C outside, it took 20% longer to charge.

Provided the chargers are decent, the key to reducing charging times is to charge when the SoC is close to 10%... and having a warm battery, of course.
Deleted User 490

Yeah, Ionity charging is consistently favourably reported. I’ve seen Borns peak at 130kwh from low SoC on various YouTube reviews on those, definitely worth trying.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've found Ionity great on a warm battery and crap on a cool one. For me,the best for charge speed in all conditions (but usually the most expensive) is Osprey.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:40 am I've found Ionity great on a warm battery and crap on a cool one. For me,the best for charge speed in all conditions (but usually the most expensive) is Osprey.
I would have thought that it was up to the vehicle to request X amount of power and that the charger wouldn't be significantly affected by outside temperature.

However, I've seen some reports otherwise about some DC chargers in the US at least:

Charging transformers need to be cooled properly and maybe those that use a liquid coolant could suffer in colder weather - viscosity issues?