Headlight condensation

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Has anyone else noticed a lot of condensation inside the headlights? Does anyone know if there are ventilation holes in them? possibly mine are blocked. This really affects the headlight performance.

20230120_151929.jpg

20230120_151923.jpg

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Not seen that reported on the Born before but there were many reported like this on the ID3 forum. Not the same unit but principle is the same.
Bottom line is the unit should be sealed so I would take it up as a warranty issue with your main dealer.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

Hi, I had the very same problem on my iD3 1st edition and the dealer replaced the complete headlight housing etc without hesitation. It was a known problem on the iD3's
Born E-Boost 58WKH 231 HP Delivered August 2023
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Apparently this is normal in a cupra born and any other Seat and they would only repair under warranty if there is water sloshing about inside the light.

What a joke of a company.

20230203_101718.jpg

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I wouldn't accept that. It can only get worse and at some point affect headlight performance if not already. I would take it up with Cupra direct and also put it on TRUSTPILOT. Posts on TRUSTPILOT generally get a faster track to decision makers on matters like this.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
smbmetal

Post by smbmetal »

I can't see how that's ever been normal to be honest.

Really poor service from the Stealer there.

Hope you get it sorted. Of course, you shouldn't have to spend a load more time having to email relevant customer services, but it seems to be the way of the world these days.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm pretty sure Cupra/Seat customer services will operate in the exact same way as VW when you take it up directly:-

Call centre staff have zero technical knowledge and will always go with what the dealer said, even if it is total BS. With that in mind, I'd be looking for a more favourable opinion from a different dealership. Had this many times with VWs - 2 Lookers dealerships on my doorstep that seem averse to doing warranty work and tell me that various issues aren't in the scope of the warranty. Further afield we have the Pulman group that are incredibly proactive in chasing stuff like this up and pushing for pre-approval of warranty work.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
dav0001

Post by dav0001 »

Unfortunately in Scotland I think we only have one Cupra dealer in Glasgow and they said over the phone it would not be fixed under warranty as Cupra deam this normal. They still think headlights will heat up enough to remove condensation. Led headlights will never heat up enough. I have booked into a local cupra authorised repairer to see what they say but can get an appointment until March and Cupra customer service will not go against a retailer even if they have not looked at it.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:36 pm … I'd be looking for a more favourable opinion from a different dealership. Had this many times with VWs - 2 Lookers dealerships on my doorstep that seem averse to doing warranty work…
That reminds me the first VW I bought from a main dealer had an intermittent problem with the ECU where the engine just cut out. The dealer I bought it from claimed they couldn’t diagnose it…took it to the next closest VE dealer and they sorted it under warranty
Cupra Born 58kWh 204ps V1 Vapor Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

dav0001 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:03 pm Unfortunately in Scotland I think we only have one Cupra dealer in Glasgow and they said over the phone it would not be fixed under warranty as Cupra deam this normal. They still think headlights will heat up enough to remove condensation. Led headlights will never heat up enough. I have booked into a local cupra authorised repairer to see what they say but can get an appointment until March and Cupra customer service will not go against a retailer even if they have not looked at it.
Any Seat dealerships closer to you? Might be mistaken here, but I'm reasonably sure that a Seat dealercan deal with a Cupra warranty claim. You're right that LEDs stay cool (LED bulbs with equivalent lux output use 1/9 the output of their halogen equivalents - which broadly means that 8/9 of a halogen output is heat). When I had concerns with my heavily contaminated paint work, I was directed by Pulman to their Durham Skoda dealership rather than their Sunderland Cupra/Seat dealership for appraisal.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565