Some tips for choosing additional equipment

All CUPRA Born related discussions
projix

Post by projix »

Here are a few tips and descriptions about choosing the additional equipment for the Born.
In some countries these are all grouped into packages, in others (like mine) you can select every single option individually.
I have driven a few configurations as it happens, and I also have a very strong professional background in vehicles (read: driven almost everything that exists), but this is of course still my biased opinion.

Without further ado, let's get to it, in no particular order:

BeatsAudio sound system
You might think that you only want this if sound is very important to you, but I think unless you are not planning to listen to music at all, you should always take this option.
The reason being, that unlike the vast majority of cars the base sound system does not even have speakers in the rear doors! Only in the front doors.
And if you do not take the system, then there is not even going to be cabling in the rear doors for the sound, so it is a nightmare to retrofit anything.

Seats
The base seats are perfectly fine. The improved power seats are nicer, but this is probably mostly personal preference.
If you are wondering what the massage function is like, it is just cycling between inflating the upper and then the lower part of the lumbar support. Nothing spectacular, but could still be nice to stretch your lower back a little during longer trips.
There is no difference between the upgraded gray and blue seats, but over here they just charge more for the blue ones.

Driver assists
I would get the largest driver assistance package. The singular reason for that is the rear cross traffic alert, which will genuinely save you from a collision someday. It will slam the brakes for you if there are other cars, pedestrians or cyclists crossing behind the car as you are trying to back out of somewhere. It can see them way before they are visible to you in the mirrors.
Works especially well with fast moving cyclists when reversing out of a parking spot over a sidewalk.

Skyline glass roof
This is purely personal preference. If you like sporty style interior with a black coloured ceiling, then skip this option.
If you like a bright ceiling and more light in the car, then the difference is dramatic.

Adjustable suspension (DCC)
This option probably makes the largest difference to the car, especially if you opt for the larger 19" or 20" wheels, but even with the standard 18" wheels the difference is huge.
On uneven roads the car with DCC in the comfort setting just glides over bumps, you barely feel they are there. If you set it to sport mode, it's completely planted.
Without DCC and the larger wheels you can really feel the suspension bottoming out on larger bumps, and you're being thrown around in the car all the time.
If you do not get any other option, get this one if you can. So large is the difference - it is like driving a vehicle from a different class.

Heads up display (HUD)
While on some cars the HUD is a game changer, I would say not on this one.
The standard drivers display is very close to you and it moves with the steering wheel, so it is perfectly visible at all times, unlike on some other cars.
There is nothing wrong with the HUD - it is informative and the range of height adjustment is great, but just because the standard display is so well visible at all times, there might not be any point to get it.
Get it if you love the tech, but it is not a must-have option, because essentially you are paying quite a bit just to move your eyes a tiny bit less.

Wheels
If for some weird reason you don't or can't get the DCC, do not go over 18" wheel size. Otherwise purely personal preference.
With the DCC the 20" wheels ride way better than the 18" without, even on bad bumpy roads.
NOTE: There are some reports that the 18" come with tyres that have very stiff side walls. 19" might be the better option.

Hope this helps someone.
Last edited by projix on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'd disagree with your last point, dependent on tyre choice. I've had an ID3 on 18" wheels, test driven a Born on 18" and 19" wheels and bought a Born on 19" wheels.

Our ID3 and the V1 Born on 18" wheels had a terrible ride vs the Born on19" wheels.

This is likely to be down to tyre choice, as both cars on 18" wheels came on Bridgestones ("Flintstones"), which are rock hard, noisy, grip is quite poor and they give a poor ride. I've had many VAG cars from new that come with Bridgestone Turanza or Potenza, and when you swap them out, it's like driving a different (much better) car.

Driving an ID3 or Born on 19" tyres that aren't Bridgestone is a massive improvement on one with 18" Bridgestones in all aspects. Almost all ID3 and Born for the UK market on 18" wheels seem to have the Bridgestones, whereas 19" variants are usually Continental EcoContact 6.

Go 19" - best looking wheels in the range and best ride.

The biggest tip for additional equipment is don't buy what you don't need - you'll get very little extra for optional equipment when you trade in.

Pano roof is just asking for trouble down the line (seals), and only really benefits the rear passengers if they like looking up - had one on our ID3 Family spec as standard equipment, wouldn't consciously specify to have it.

Love my HUD, mainly because I just started needing reading glasses and the HUD is a little easier on the eyes if I don't wear my reading glasses. I do like the augmented reality for directions too.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I'm with Monkeyhanger on the issue of tyres. I don't have DCC and I've got 20" firestorms with 235 x 40 Michelins and they ride soft as butter in Comfort mode and hardly any worse on the Performance mode. They seem much softer than the 19" 35's that I had on the Golf. I think I'd get seasick with the 18" wheels and 50% ratio tyres.

Pano roof is almost as divisive as KESSY. My last 3 or 4 Golfs had opening pano roofs and I never had the slightest problem with the seals. I have to agree that the Born pano roof is set way too far back to benefit front seat passengers but it does make the interior feel more airy. And it doesn't open. If I buy another Born I would have to think very carefully about specifying one and I probably wouldn't, but that's a personal preference.

Seats: we went for the V3 to get the electric seats as my wife and I have different seat positions and the dealer told me the seats had a memory function. They don't. The next facelift of the ID.3 has the memory function so I guess that the next Born will have it, but right now it doesn't. Unless you really, really want the massage function, save money and go for a V2.

Sadly, the more I drive it, the more disillusioned I become with all the niggles and failings of the Born. I know it's a much more sensible option for my current driving, but I really miss my old Golf R.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

alanjs wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:55 pm I'm with Monkeyhanger on the issue of tyres. I don't have DCC and I've got 20" firestorms with 235 x 40 Michelins and they ride soft as butter in Comfort mode and hardly any worse on the Performance mode. They seem much softer than the 19" 35's that I had on the Golf. I think I'd get seasick with the 18" wheels and 50% ratio tyres.

Pano roof is almost as divisive as KESSY. My last 3 or 4 Golfs had opening pano roofs and I never had the slightest problem with the seals. I have to agree that the Born pano roof is set way too far back to benefit front seat passengers but it does make the interior feel more airy. And it doesn't open. If I buy another Born I would have to think very carefully about specifying one and I probably wouldn't, but that's a personal preference.

Seats: we went for the V3 to get the electric seats as my wife and I have different seat positions and the dealer told me the seats had a memory function. They don't. The next facelift of the ID.3 has the memory function so I guess that the next Born will have it, but right now it doesn't. Unless you really, really want the massage function, save money and go for a V2.

Sadly, the more I drive it, the more disillusioned I become with all the niggles and failings of the Born. I know it's a much more sensible option for my current driving, but I really miss my old Golf R.
I don't miss my old R much at all (2015, Pretoria Wheels, Lapiz). It looked great in the signature colour with the Prets, and yes, it was quick, but quite sterile the way it delivered. It didn't seem any quicker than my mate's standard GTI unless you really wrung it's neck as it had that "second wind" at about 4200rpm that the GTI didn't. Similar story with tyres/wheels - my R on 19s felt better than my mate's on 18s. Unfortunately my R came onBridgestone RE050, which were awful - a change to Michelin PSS transformed it. Last manual car I owned - still miss a manual gearbox!

Haven't had any major issues on the ID3s or the Borns - it's the little things that niggle me - the toggle dialler mirrors tgat doesn't remember to drop wing mirror in reverse, those endless update prompts that change your climate settings - so glad I could stop the Kamikaze lane assist via OBD11 though!

smbmetal

Post by smbmetal »

Very helpful @projix especially for any potential newbies like myself.

I'd pass on the Beats as I personally think Beats audio equipment in general sounds pretty poor, so would stick with the stock system, VW group cost cutting at it's finest with no rear speakers!

I'd skip most of the other options as well, good to hear from the other posts above that the 19 or 20" wheels still provide a decent ride, but I have had DCC in the past and found the comfort mode excellent in my old Scirocco.

Like the HUD option in V2 trim and above, never had a pano roof, but wouldn't mind the electric seats, shame there's no memory function.

Out of interest in the Tech M package do all 4 door handles light up at night?

I'd rather see an option for Matrix headlights as I love them on my current car.

For me, it's still too early to move to the EV world, I would struggle with the software niggles and lack of buttons I think. I hope VW have learnt their lessons and start putting them back in.

I love my golf GTI 7.5, it just works with no issues. The Born would definitely be my next step as I was impressed by just sitting in the V2. just not as an early adopter I'm afraid.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Pretty sure only my front handles are lit on my V2 with L-pack, same with our ID3 Family.

smbmetal

Post by smbmetal »

Perhaps they didn't bother with the necessary wiring like for the rear speakers, maybe if you take the beats audio package option you'll get the light in the back door handles :)

I've always thought BMW's look well with all 4 door handles lit up at night.
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:34 pm
I don't miss my old R much at all (2015, Pretoria Wheels, Lapiz). It looked great in the signature colour with the Prets, and yes, it was quick, but quite sterile the way it delivered. It didn't seem any quicker than my mate's standard GTI unless you really wrung it's neck as it had that "second wind" at about 4200rpm that the GTI didn't. Similar story with tyres/wheels - my R on 19s felt better than my mate's on 18s. Unfortunately my R came onBridgestone RE050, which were awful - a change to Michelin PSS transformed it. Last manual car I owned - still miss a manual gearbox!

Haven't had any major issues on the ID3s or the Borns - it's the little things that niggle me - the toggle dialler mirrors tgat doesn't remember to drop wing mirror in reverse, those endless update prompts that change your climate settings - so glad I could stop the Kamikaze lane assist via OBD11 though!
I also had Lapiz blue with Prets and DCC great for skelping along twisty Scottish Border roads. There's a huge difference between the cars if you give them serious wellie in the damp = the GTi would skitter and the front wheels would go bang - bang as the traction control tried to stop the wheelspin - I had several GTis as well. The R simply put the power down through all four wheels and went with no drama - just how I liked it. But again, that's personal preference: I preferred competent, quick and refined rather than boy-racer noisy (otherwise I could have bought a Civic R!).

But yeah, I do wish the Born's lane assist didn't scare me with its attempts to take control of the steering instead of doing what it's told! Gotta get me an OBDII.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
projix

Post by projix »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:40 am I'd disagree with your last point, dependent on tyre choice. I've had an ID3 on 18" wheels, test driven a Born on 18" and 19" wheels and bought a Born on 19" wheels.

Our ID3 and the V1 Born on 18" wheels had a terrible ride vs the Born on19" wheels.

This is likely to be down to tyre choice, as both cars on 18" wheels came on Bridgestones ("Flintstones"), which are rock hard, noisy, grip is quite poor and they give a poor ride. I've had many VAG cars from new that come with Bridgestone Turanza or Potenza, and when you swap them out, it's like driving a different (much better) car.
Exactly. Tyres. 18" will always ride better than 19", but if you have different tyres on them then what you are comparing is purely the tyres.
Luckily you can change them.
Pano roof is just asking for trouble down the line (seals), and only really benefits the rear passengers if they like looking up - had one on our ID3 Family spec as standard equipment, wouldn't consciously specify to have it.
You are certainly not going to have any issues with leaking, as the pano roof does not open.
If you mean rubber seal creaking in sub zero temperatures, this is completely normal on all rubber seals, and some silicone spray takes care of it.
You have to do all the door seals anyway.
alanjs wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:55 pm I'm with Monkeyhanger on the issue of tyres. I don't have DCC and I've got 20" firestorms with 235 x 40 Michelins and they ride soft as butter in Comfort mode and hardly any worse on the Performance mode. They seem much softer than the 19" 35's that I had on the Golf. I think I'd get seasick with the 18" wheels and 50% ratio tyres.
If you don't have DCC then Comfort and Performance mode makes absolutely zero difference to the ride. There is no adjustment.
And the difference between having DCC and the normal suspension is gigantic, especially on the 20". I would know as I've driven both back to back.
smbmetal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:47 pm Very helpful @projix especially for any potential newbies like myself.

I'd pass on the Beats as I personally think Beats audio equipment in general sounds pretty poor, so would stick with the stock system, VW group cost cutting at it's finest with no rear speakers!
I mean if you are okay with not having the rear speakers, sure.
The beats system is nothing to write home about whatsoever, but at least you get some speakers in the rear!
I'd skip most of the other options as well, good to hear from the other posts above that the 19 or 20" wheels still provide a decent ride, but I have had DCC in the past and found the comfort mode excellent in my old Scirocco.
They are probably driving on butter smooth roads. The ride is objectively bad on 20" without DCC and bumpy roads. This is clear to anyone who has experience driving many different cars. With the DCC it starts to be comparable to the Taycan. Without, it's bouncier than a Civic Type R.
I'd rather see an option for Matrix headlights as I love them on my current car.
Agreed, but the little Seat can't be better in every way than the ID3 ;)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you're buying a Born on 18" wheels with a 90% chance of it coming on Bridgestone tyres or a Born on 19" wheels with a 90% chance of it coming on Conti Ecocontact 6, the 19" option is a far better ride. There's not nany people that would shell out for a new car and then replace the tyres straight away unless they thought they were beyond awful - I gave done this just once - on a 2018 Polo GTI+ that came on Turanzas - axle tramp under the lightest of throttle and a very twitchy back end without driving it that hard. Changed within 3 weeks of getting the car to Michelin PS4. When the wife got a 2019 Polo GTI+, it also had the Flintstones on, I drove the car straight to Costco and got those PS4s on. Ebayed the Bridgestones.

Ride comfort is personal preference - being used to driving hot hatches, I prefer firm ride and direct steering to squidgy ride and vague steering - on that basis, DCC isn't essential or a no brainer. If you have a chronic back problem or drive granny to church every Sunday then maybe the DCC makes more sense.

I've had DCC as standard equipnent on a few VWs and it's not something I'd pay £900 extra for or have missed having since.