Slow? charging with CCS (Rapid Charging)

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
lemonslayer

Post by lemonslayer »

Hey guys! I've looked through the forum a bit but havent found an answer that applies to me. Hopefully I'm not double posting anything.

You probably get this question a lot. I bought my Cupra Born a month ago and I've had a wonderful experience so far. However, I feel like the rapid charging is slower than I was advertised.

Now, I live in Sweden and we've had periods of very cold climate and I know that a cold battery charges significantly slower than usual. I also know the Born doesnt have preconditioning for its battery. However, whatever I do (wether it be manual preconditioning by accelerating fast and using the regeneration a lot or making sure I store the car in a warm garage) I don't seem to get my charge speed up.

Usually when I've used up the battery on a long drive from 100 to 20 and go for charging at a 150-300kW rapid charger, the charging starts at 37kW. During the course of the charging, it maxes out at around 56kW. I have never since I bought it seen it go higher than 56, even if I charge the car at around 5%. My charging averages at around 49kW. It takes around 50 minutes for me to charge from 20-80.

Is this normal? Could there be an issue with the battery or the charge port? The temps in Sweden has varied between -20C and +10C and my charging has stayed the same no matter the temps. Does it need to be even higher temps for me to notice a shift in the charging speeds?

Thank you guys and sorry if this post has been made already!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Best I've seen was 97kW at an Osprey charger, it was briefly at that speed. I usually use Gridserve chargers - the ones rated at 150kW usually give about 57kW for me.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Allart

Post by Allart »

Just created an account to reply (I have my Born 77kW for 2 days now).
But I rapid charged yesterday at a Fastned 350kW charger, and it went immediately to 149kW to my surprise (as they told me 120 was the limit when I picked it up)...
Outside temp was around 14 degrees and I had been driving for about an hour.
2022 Adrenaline 77kW
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I do think that some of the slow speeds we see are down to site supply - a bank of rapid chargers are a huge draw at a site.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Yeah, I don't remember seeing anything more than 50-60kW. Nice result there @Allart, just what you need on a first go!
JGriff

Post by JGriff »

Allart, 77kWh are supposed to have 150 max capability, i.e. faster than the 58kWh batteries.
Allart

Post by Allart »

JGriff wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:04 pm Allart, 77kWh are supposed to have 150 max capability, i.e. faster than the 58kWh batteries.
Ah, makes sense then. On delivery they told me it would do 120kW, and I think that's also what I saw on the specs when I ordered it.
Very nice anyway!
2022 Adrenaline 77kW