Occasional rattle sound

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Gesp5151

Post by Gesp5151 »

Got the same on our V1. Seems to be behind steering wheel but is occasional and doesn't respond to or stop with touching

GarryR

Post by GarryR »

I have a 2022 V2 and have had this rattle from day one. It doesn’t do it much in summer with heat so its defo plastic related. My car has been in at least 5 times now and still the noise continues. New drivers side A frame speaker, new HUD surrounding cover, new silver chequered dash covers replaced, infotainment screen checked and tightened and plastic surroundings on steering column replaced and STILL this noise continues. Its driving me nuts and really taking the joy out of owning this car. 😩 I really want to know where its coming from.
un_born

Post by un_born »

Car noises can be a nightmare. On one of my previous cars, a rattle could be heard dead centre of the dash. As it was a new model, they were still trying to figure it out. Many other owners had dashboard out, this and that and still no solution.

Luckily for me, by the time I booked mine in, the culprit was found... It was something in the left hand front suspension that was creating a noise and transmitting back into the cabin and emulating from the middle of the dash. All it took was lube of the suspension to stop it.

I'm so happy my brand new car was not one of the guinea pigs for fault finding...
Deleted User 425

Post by Deleted User 425 »

Hi to all who might be suffering a dreaded cabin vibration noise.

I've suffered the same for the past 6 months, its so annoying as you can't induce it, but mine is there sounding like plastic vibrating on plastic, after trying a few options, I've today found another potential area that might be worth you guys checking out -

The glove box release handle!!!, When closed I noticed there is quite a lot of free play in the lever, try lightly tapping yours and see if it's the same, certainly its plastic meeting plastic.

I'm trying a remedy out, by using some thin self adhesive 5mm x 1mm black foam strips cut and placed behind the lever (not easy to do) I managed to remove the free play and now separated the rear plastic of the lever meeting the pull down glove box front cover.

I also noticed the right hand door latch keep plate which is a darker black plastic piece fitted into the main dash moulding was loose (not much, but worth looking at) so some slim black insulation strips soon stopped any movement.

If you can get a small piece of foam try slipping it in behind the glove box release handle, then with the glove box closed see if your vibration sound is better.

Hope this helps someone out.

Now if only someone can resolve the dreaded infotainment and App issues......... PLEASE!!!!!!
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Still trying to work out where mine is coming from. It’s noticeable when driving faster in windy conditions.
It sounds very like it’s coming from inside the plastic trim that runs diagonally down the front windscreen at the drivers side.
Would there be a wiring loom in there for the speakers etc which could be vibrating or something
Not there all the time, just intermittently but annoying all the same
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey
Deleted User 425

Post by Deleted User 425 »

Hi Stevo,

Your referring to the A pillar, which might have the cables feeding the overhead front reading lamps etc, usually they wrap the wiring loom in tape and some soft foam, so its rare they rattle, if your sound is more like a plastic on plastic vibration sound then it could be the inner plastic cover that clips to the A pillar needs refitting (usually a push fit).

I have read on another forum some owners have issues with the OBD port vibrating on the lower front dash, given that's on the drivers side and offset to the right of your legs it might be worth checking yours?

Sometimes the source of the noise is different to our hearings perception particularly when it very short and infrequent sounding.

Good luck sorting it.
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

TheGRP wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:31 am Hi Stevo,

Your referring to the A pillar, which might have the cables feeding the overhead front reading lamps etc, usually they wrap the wiring loom in tape and some soft foam, so its rare they rattle, if your sound is more like a plastic on plastic vibration sound then it could be the inner plastic cover that clips to the A pillar needs refitting (usually a push fit).

I have read on another forum some owners have issues with the OBD port vibrating on the lower front dash, given that's on the drivers side and offset to the right of your legs it might be worth checking yours?

Sometimes the source of the noise is different to our hearings perception particularly when it very short and infrequent sounding.

Good luck sorting it.
Hi TheGRP,
Thanks for the info share. It actually does sound like a plastic rattle noise. As I mention it’s not there all the time. I will have a look at the OBD port and other areas at the weekend.
Cheers
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey
Ponk

Post by Ponk »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a very annoying rattle too, but finally managed to locate it. It sounded like it was coming from the top of the dash behind the steering wheel, or near he A pillar, it rattled on the tiniest of road bumps, took the car out tonight to get some shopping for tomorrows big Swiss National day, and spent some time tapping around the dash, pushing on plastic while driving over bumps, tapping above the light control area made the exact rattle, then finally I could make it stop by pressing on the small access panel just below my left knee. Looks like a fuse box cover maybe. Pushing on that and no more rattle! Tomorrow I will pop the cover off and put some tape along he inside edges and maybe some foam in he middle to put a bit of tension on it. Just thought I would share this in case some of you are still hunting for the rattle and my solution helps.

Bear in mind, I have a LHD car so you may not have that panel in the exact location.

Cheers
Cupra Born, 77Kw, Silver, 20" Firestorm, Advance Pack, Beats, Heat Pump, Swiss Model.