Occasional rattle sound

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Whilst driving home the other night I noticed an occasional rattling noise coming from around the driver area of the main dashboard area. It was hard to try and work out where it was coming from. One thing I did notice is that the switch where all the lights are controlled has a fair bit of movement and seems to be a little loose!
Are other peoples cars like this or could this be the cause of the rattle?
Thanks
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey

Deleted User 425

Post by Deleted User 425 »

I’ve suffered an occasional rattle from front dash area from new, the only area that might be the issue is the plastic to the top of the dash that has the cut out for the heads up display, check the nearest point to the driver left corner, my vibrates if lightly tapped. When I get chance I’m going to try a temporary packer of cardboard to see if it stops it, then find a proper solution.
Be interested if anyone has the same? Could be a main dealer issue?

My light switch lower left corner moves slightly, but I don’t think it’s the cause of my vibration sound. Try driving whilst touching it, if your vibration stops then you have found your issue.

Hope this helps?
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at the head up
display area. It doesn’t happen constantly when driving over rough roads, just now and again.
Will feed back anything I find.
Interested to hear if anyone else has a wobbly light switch or if it’s like this by design
Deleted User 425

Thinking a little more the top of the dash area would make sense as it's subject to considerable temperature changes so expands and contracts a lot, that might be why the rattle goes then comes again?

I did look under the bonnet in my attempts to find the culprit, one area I did notice was the wiring loom that feeds the heated screen washers, its free to move around inside the Bonet, so I've used 2 cable ties to secure it thinking it might be the issue, still not sure if it contributed anything, but on the basis these cars are built the lightest, thinest materials possible anything that might help is worth doing.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Mine does this since the dealer tried to make the cover that goes over top of the HUD fit properly. I’ve got a V1 so the area of the HUD is completely covered and the cover was poorly fitted behind the infotainment.

Now the thing rattles like mad over certain roads. I’ve tracked it down to the centre line of the steering wheel about half way towards to windscreen on the top of the dash. If I tap it it makes the same noise. They have ordered a new cover as it won’t fit properly so I’m hoping it goes away when they fit it!
Deleted User 425

Hope it does for you.

The worst area on mine is left side of the steering wheel nearest corner, if I tap it lightly it makes the classic plastic on plastic rattle noise, I suspect theres not a retaining clip close to that corner. Today I've managed to fit a small section of narrow thin foam strip below the corners edge, so I'll monitor over the next week then report back.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:31 pm Mine does this since the dealer tried to make the cover that goes over top of the HUD fit properly. I’ve got a V1 so the area of the HUD is completely covered and the cover was poorly fitted behind the infotainment.

Now the thing rattles like mad over certain roads. I’ve tracked it down to the centre line of the steering wheel about half way towards to windscreen on the top of the dash. If I tap it it makes the same noise. They have ordered a new cover as it won’t fit properly so I’m hoping it goes away when they fit it!
No rattles on our 2 Born V2s with HUD, so definitely seems a fault on yours rather than a trait.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:55 pm
TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:31 pm Mine does this since the dealer tried to make the cover that goes over top of the HUD fit properly. I’ve got a V1 so the area of the HUD is completely covered and the cover was poorly fitted behind the infotainment.

No rattles on our 2 Born V2s with HUD, so definitely seems a fault on yours rather than a trait.
I’d not be surprised if it’s a trait on V1’s as the part that’s rattling isn’t on V2 and V3 cars but it could be where they tried to fix that massive cap on the dash rather than be the norm.
MATJES

Post by MATJES »

I am taking my Born to service garage because of this dashboard rattle noise...
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Have noticed it a bit more over the last week or so. It seems to only be noticeable when driving at a higher speed into wind.
Difficult driving and trying to figure out where it’s coming from. Seems to be around the area when the diagonal trim goes from the light switch up to the roof area
Please keep us updated of your dealer finds anything?