Something else doesn't work..... breathe..... don't rant

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

OK. 5.30am... press the pre-heat function on the app 'Function timed out' :twisted: :evil: Tried many times, refused to talk to the car. Looks like I am scraping the windscreen then.
Literally daily something on the car fails to impress me.

The tech pack needs to be renamed 'The summer pack', as it totally sucks in the winter.

Every morning without fail 'Front assist not available' and 'Auto headlights not available'. Would that be because some chump put the camera behind the windscreen that is OBVIOUSLY going to frost over in the winter?
To add to that, it doesn't get cleaned by the wipers or defrosted until the entire screen is clear?
I had better hope I never need 'Front assist' for the first 15/20 minutes of every drive then.

Same goes for the lane botherer. I always turn this function off, but in the winter the camera is frozen over, so it doesn't work anyway for the first 15 minutes. Then all of a sudden it kicks in.

Touch door handles. Nope, don't work again.

App? Laggy as hell. Sorry, I write basic Android apps for my work and this sucks.

AIready mentioned the retarded front seat is the ignition key (so when you get out to open a gate or something, it forgets EVERYTHING).

Range? Well, that is just an EV thing. NOTHING like they sell you.

Touchscreen? Worst interface ever. Unless that gets a total rethink when I replace this car in 2 years time, then it won't be another Cupra. Shame, love the exterior/interior styling, but it was lazy to just port that horrible interface over from the VW group.
I spend more time with my eyes off the road twatting around with that thing that any previous car I have owned.

And WHY CAN'T IT REMEMBER ANYTHING. My toaster can remember how brown I like my toast for %&*$ sake.

My boss has been looking for an EV and wanted to go and look at a Cupra. After a coffee and me being honest... she now isn't. I told her to wait 2 years until 'hopefully' they get their act together.

Oops..... it has gone ranty

CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

Ive had mine for about 3 weeks now and while I absolutely love their car, there are some annoyances that are mostly software related. I have never had an issue with the assists not being available but that's probably because I have heated the car via the app beforehand. The app itself is flakey and lacks functionality. Very basic. Hopefully over time that will improve but it should be in a better place than it is.

Not sure what the issue is with the lane assistance? I had this on my previous car and have always found it to be a handy addition. If its related to the camera again then this will either be thawed out by pre-heating the car or you scrape the ice away from it at the same time you are doing the rest of the windscreen.

Touch door handles have worked 100% perfectly for me for both locking and unlocking every single time. Very handy.

The cars central touch screen software does need some optimising. If they aren't prepared to put fast enough hardware in there to run it, then they need to strip back the software so that it's fast instead of flashy. Having to sometimes repeatedly tap on the same option because its not responding is not good in a moving vehicle! The remembering thing is a software annoyance which they need to prioritise. Saying all that, aside from some basic functions I tend to use Apple CarPlay 90% of the time.

Finally, range - As far as I am concerned EV's aren't the cost savers that they claim to be. I knew that going into the purchase though. Electric costs are going up massively, tax for EV's is on the way, supermarkets are doing away with free charging and the cars cost more to begin with than an ICE counterpart. Range itself is massively overstated by the companies who proclaim a figure that is only realistic in ideal lab conditions. Then factor in the fact that they recommend you only charge the car to 80% and you are now way waaaay below.

Overall though I love the car, it looks stunning (one of the best looking EV's on the road in my opinion) and performs and handles very well. The only other EV I was considering was a Tesla who do have better software but then you are paying more for a car with notoriously poor build quality. Plus the design is really starting to look dated now IMO.

I think once the VAG group get the car and app software up to scratch we will be good, let's just hope that doesn't take them too long. Right now though its the car for me, I really like the Cupra brand and I think they have the opportunity to do really well.
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

I have exactly the same perspective @CupraV3.

I’d really like to understand why it is taking VAG so long to address these issues and why they are so unresponsive and stubborn when you try and raise it with them.

As a former ID.3 owner, coming over to the Cupra Born feels far too Groundhog Day. I really hope it isn’t something fundamental about the software and development framework they use that means we’re stuck with this frustrating/buggy experience.

That would be a real shame because the car itself is a great package. I wouldn’t want to be in anything else for what we use the car for, but that will wear thin if in a years time we still have these glaring software problems. My 2 cents as they say.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Stevolution wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:20 am OK. 5.30am... press the pre-heat function on the app 'Function timed out' :twisted: :evil: Tried many times, refused to talk to the car. Looks like I am scraping the windscreen then.
Literally daily something on the car fails to impress me.

The tech pack needs to be renamed 'The summer pack', as it totally sucks in the winter.

Every morning without fail 'Front assist not available' and 'Auto headlights not available'. Would that be because some chump put the camera behind the windscreen that is OBVIOUSLY going to frost over in the winter?
To add to that, it doesn't get cleaned by the wipers or defrosted until the entire screen is clear?
I had better hope I never need 'Front assist' for the first 15/20 minutes of every drive then.

Same goes for the lane botherer. I always turn this function off, but in the winter the camera is frozen over, so it doesn't work anyway for the first 15 minutes. Then all of a sudden it kicks in.

Touch door handles. Nope, don't work again.

App? Laggy as hell. Sorry, I write basic Android apps for my work and this sucks.

AIready mentioned the retarded front seat is the ignition key (so when you get out to open a gate or something, it forgets EVERYTHING).

Range? Well, that is just an EV thing. NOTHING like they sell you.

Touchscreen? Worst interface ever. Unless that gets a total rethink when I replace this car in 2 years time, then it won't be another Cupra. Shame, love the exterior/interior styling, but it was lazy to just port that horrible interface over from the VW group.
I spend more time with my eyes off the road twatting around with that thing that any previous car I have owned.

And WHY CAN'T IT REMEMBER ANYTHING. My toaster can remember how brown I like my toast for %&*$ sake.

My boss has been looking for an EV and wanted to go and look at a Cupra. After a coffee and me being honest... she now isn't. I told her to wait 2 years until 'hopefully' they get their act together.

Oops..... it has gone ranty
Do you ever have a "glass half full"
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

I think you most people buying EV’s have an “Early adopter” mentality. There are plenty of issues with the Born but there are plenty of issues with owning any EV now.

If you can’t be bothered to put up with stuff like this you’d probably be better off with a ICE car.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Having had a Mach-E previously then I think the Born is an all together better package.
The settings thing is an annoyance but not the end of the world for me.
As for range and cost, then I am really impressed. I have the 77V3 with a heat pump. Drove to London and back this week (250 mile round trip) and arrived home with 18mile in reserve. Air con on 21.5 degrees for the whole journey. External temp didnt get above 1.5 degrees. My 89kwh Mach E couldnt do more than 200 mile in the winter.
The heat pump is making a difference I think.

1st 1000miles have cost me £30.35
Cupra Born V3 77 on the way
Tech-l DCC Heat Pump Beats
Deleted User 490

Indeed, the EV side of the Born is good. I wouldn’t characterise forgetting settings, erratic sensors, laggy infotainment and a limited app as EV issues v ICE. MEB cars have been on the market for over 2 years, we’re several minor and a major update of the system software in, totally understandable to question why these issues persist in my opinion.
Deleted User 490

Another annoyance for me is somewhat self-inflicted. I like the Cupra brand, think they did a great job producing the Born, the dealer buying experience was good, I’ve bought a service pack and even some merch! Continuing to buy into it I installed the maintenance app within the infotainment, which gave me the impression it would provide a pro-active connection between the car and service partner. It may well do that, but it’s also posting a notification everyday as it counts down to the first service. Only another 701 of those to go then, unless I can find a way to stop those notifications or de-install the app :x
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's a fair few of those complaints that would apply to any brand new ICE car too. Is it unreasonable that sensors and cameras covered in frost and ice don't work as intended? These "issues" happen on the likes of a MK8 Golf too. If you wear glasses and they get smudgy, do you lament the fact they don't give a clear view, or do you give them a wipe?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:45 am There's a fair few of those complaints that would apply to any brand new ICE car too. Is it unreasonable that sensors and cameras covered in frost and ice don't work as intended? These "issues" happen on the likes of a MK8 Golf too. If you wear glasses and they get smudgy, do you lament the fact they don't give a clear view, or do you give them a wipe?
Yeah good point. I was thinking more that it tends to be electric cars that try to copy Tesla by getting rid of as many controls as possible and being able to control things via an app. There aren’t many EV’s that don’t have lots of fancy features.

The fact that sensors don’t get covered by wipers and the software is buggy as hell is bloody annoying though and I’m not trying to defend it. It just feels like it is still early adopter territory at the moment.