Heat Pump - Efficiency / Where is it?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

Hi All,

I've had a search and can't seem to find a previous post on this,

I ordered a heat pump on my Born, but I have to say I've never checked it was installed (fool on me), how can I confirm the heat pump is installed and working correctly?

Only reason I ask is i'm suffering from (what would seem extreme to me) range reduction as a result of heating the car.. I drive about 1 mile to work and it costs me about 5-6 miles in range and this is with a bit of preheating..

This morning I had the heating on for about 10 mins sat on the drive (not connected to mains) and used about 2-3% purely on pre-heating which seems high when compared to my friends Nissan Leaf (which doesn't have a heat pump) who managed to do roughly 45mins worth of driving stopping and starting twice (not stuck in traffic) and only lost about 10% of range,

I know winter is supposed to hurt EVs but just want to know if this is excessive? .. just paranoid about possible battery cell faults

Cheers,
Sam
Last edited by SPARTAN SAM H on Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V3 58kWh Auto E boost Aurora Blue with Heat Pump, Tech M pack, Beats Audio and 20" Firestorm Alloys (with DCC).

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It is extraordinarily cold right now, and the difference between heating to 16C and 22C is huge, so context is needed to know the hit you expect. It's already been established on the ID3 that the heat pump really isn't worth it - I read somewhere that the payback on the heatpump for the average mileage driver in the UK is 11 years. The heatpump doesn't do anything for battery heating, and the economy hit on battery heating is huge.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

Heating set to 18deg from -4.. I understand that there will be a hit to range, just trying to confirm the heat pump is there and if I'm getting the best out of it

Compared to my friends Nissan Leaf it's not looking as economic
V3 58kWh Auto E boost Aurora Blue with Heat Pump, Tech M pack, Beats Audio and 20" Firestorm Alloys (with DCC).
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Our Born doesn’t have a heat pump, but our Mini Electric does and it doesn’t seem to be taking as big a hit in this weather including for the morning warm up, but it’s a more solid EV in a few ways so that hasn’t been a surprise.

Another thing that is different between them on the morning warm up is the sound they make. The Born is just the regular fan sound you’d expect whereas the mini makes strange mechanical noises. Maybe that could be the heat pump working, so could give you a clue on your Born?

PS. I have a routine for a 7:30am cabin pre-heat on the Born, it’s using the same 2-3% you mention, then the less than a mile trip for a dog walk and back uses another 2-3%.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

SPARTAN SAM H wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:18 pm Heating set to 18deg from -4.. I understand that there will be a hit to range, just trying to confirm the heat pump is there and if I'm getting the best out of it

Compared to my friends Nissan Leaf it's not looking as economic
Look under the hood and see if you can see any plate references re the refrigerant system. There should be an R number refering to refrigerant type
R744 is used in the heat pump and R1234yf in a straight AC system. Its a gas in liquid form under high pressure like all AC systems
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Not the same but my BMW i4 EV with heat pump only uses 1% battery for pre conditioning from the two times I've monitored it this week. So heat pump probably does help to preserve battery.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
Kardinal1788

Post by Kardinal1788 »

I had the same questions about HP. Was it mounted on my vehicle?

Below you can find the location of the HP on your Born.

11_2021_inhalt_2.thumb.jpg.fafcae6cc6eceaa24910e35e8f47c2b2.jpg

And on this site :
https://www.volkswagen.fr/fr/decouvrir- ... aleur.html
V3 58kWh Vapor Grey with Heat Pump, Head up Display, Tech L, Pilot M pack, Bellow zero
SPARTAN SAM H

Post by SPARTAN SAM H »

Thanks all for the responses,

Looking under the hood I can definitely see what's in the diagram from Kardinal1788 so that's a positive note

Though I have to say based on my efficiency during initial warm up and small journeys would suggest its either not working or not as efficient as other EVs
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Anyone had their heat pump deleted from their order? In the USA the id4 no longer available with a heat pump.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
RichT

Post by RichT »

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the heat pump is no longer an option in the configurator or mentioned in the pricelist/brochure.
58 kWh V2 in vapor grey with pan roof and heat pump