Heat Pump - Efficiency / Where is it?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Could be scarcity of parts, or maybe they pulled it for being of little use? I could imagine the litigation-happy Yanks willing to open mis-selling law suits if they work out how long it would take for that optional heat pump to pay for itself.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:23 pm Could be scarcity of parts, or maybe they pulled it for being of little use? I could imagine the litigation-happy Yanks willing to open mis-selling law suits if they work out how long it would take for that optional heat pump to pay for itself.
..or demand was so low it wasn't a cost effective option to provide versus build complexities!
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:44 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:23 pm Could be scarcity of parts, or maybe they pulled it for being of little use? I could imagine the litigation-happy Yanks willing to open mis-selling law suits if they work out how long it would take for that optional heat pump to pay for itself.
..or demand was so low it wasn't a cost effective option to provide versus build complexities!
Could be, but I do wonder whether it's been dropped for all markets or just the ones that are perceived to have mild Winter's? Minus 20C in Central Poland or Finland might see a decent rate of return on the VW heat pump. Glad I didn't have to pay for one on the stock cars bought.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:04 pm
Could be, but I do wonder whether it's been dropped for all markets or just the ones that are perceived to have mild Winter's? Minus 20C in Central Poland or Finland might see a decent rate of return on the VW heat pump. Glad I didn't have to pay for one on the stock cars bought.
So the one I missed also had a heat pump?
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:31 pm

:lol: Nope, I meant i'm glad it didn't have it fitted, because I would've had to pay for it.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:09 pm

:lol: Nope, I meant i'm glad it didn't have it fitted, because I would've had to pay for it.
They advised my at Twickenham my car didn't have a reversing camera so I thought...Oh well never mind. I put it into reverse to drive it away and smiled as the camera view popped up. Would hate to think I have a heat pump and not known because the dealer certainly wouldn't have known.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:19 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:09 pm

They advised my at Twickenham my car didn't have a reversing camera so I thought...Oh well never mind. I put it into reverse to drive it away and smiled as the camera view popped up. Would hate to think I have a heat pump and not known because the dealer certainly wouldn't have known.
Now you said that, I'll have to check under the bonnet for the coolant type to put my mind at ease. :lol:

TaylorT2

Post by TaylorT2 »

Is the heat pump worth it if I could get it for £830?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TaylorT2 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:56 am Is the heat pump worth it if I could get it for £830?
Almost certainly not if UK based, marginal gains that would take over half the perceived life of the car to pay back.

Some cars have the heat pump working for the winter battery warming as well as cabin heating, there's the gains that make it worthwhile- VAG cars with heat pumps just supply cabin heat.