Front doors - touch unlock not working

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

Anyone else having this issue?

You can touch the outside of the door handle to lock the car, but the unlock function doesn't work at all (has worked fine up until the weekend). I have to use the fob now to unlock the doors.

Cleaned the handle etc... sounds like YET ANOTHER software bug to me.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I had a worse bug than that this morning. Got in the car and signed in - the radio put Absolute Country on. It's going back to the dealership! :lol:
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's a definite "knack" to locking and unlocking doors. I used to struggle more with locking. A sideways swipe (front to back) with the back of my hand always seems to work. In this current weather, if the handle is caked in ice, all bets are off for correct operation though.

Deleted User 456

It's not that. The internal part of the handle is clean and frost free..... nothing.
Outside lock part works fine.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stevolution wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 am It's not that. The internal part of the handle is clean and frost free..... nothing.
The internal part of the handle has no sensors - it's all on the outside edge, around the dimple. Like I said, I swipe the back of my hand across the back half of the handle exterior and it works 19 times out of 20.

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:08 pm
Stevolution wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 am It's not that. The internal part of the handle is clean and frost free..... nothing.
The internal part of the handle has no sensors - it's all on the outside edge, around the dimple. Like I said, I swipe the back of my hand across the back half of the handle exterior and it works 19 times out of 20.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The UNLOCK function uses a sensor on the INSIDE of the door handle, the LOCK function uses the sensor on the OUTSIDE of the handle - same as your previous Golf. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNDY4Xp-E2s

What may cause a problem is having your thumb too close to the OUTSIDE sensor while trying to unlock - this can confuse the KESSY sensor's response., so I always keep my hand flat when unlocking.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Deleted User 456

Yes. The inside is the unlock. Nothing is on the outside when I go to open it.... no thumb or anything. I know how I have been opening the car!

It basically just doesn't work
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

alanjs wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:44 pm
Sorry, but you're wrong. The UNLOCK function uses a sensor on the INSIDE of the door handle, the LOCK function uses the sensor on the OUTSIDE of the handle - same as your previous Golf. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNDY4Xp-E2s

What may cause a problem is having your thumb too close to the OUTSIDE sensor while trying to unlock - this can confuse the KESSY sensor's response., so I always keep my hand flat when unlocking.
I'm not sure you're right on the inside sensor for opening - I used to have similar issues to Stevolution on our ID3 Family to lock or unlock, when grasping the handle (I didn't persevere with it because I drove our ID3 Life more often than not, without keyless, so got used to blipping the key for either car) . I lock and unlock by brushing the indent on the outside of the door handle with the back of my hand, and only when it unlocks do I then grasp the handle to open it - this is to save me trying to yank open the handle if the door doesn't unlock, and it works almost 100%. When people grasp their door handle they are grasping both the inside and the outside of the handle in their grip - why so sure its the inside bit unlocking and the outside bit locking? If VAG can get away with 1 sensor to do both jobs per door handle, they won't fit 2.

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I'm not sure you're right on the inside sensor for opening - I used to have similar issues to Stevolution on our ID3 Family to lock or unlock, when grasping the handle (I didn't persevere with it because I drove our ID3 Life more often than not, without keyless, so got used to blipping the key for either car) . I lock and unlock by brushing the indent on the outside of the door handle with the back of my hand, and only when it unlocks do I then grasp the handle to open it - this is to save me trying to yank open the handle if the door doesn't unlock, and it works almost 100%. When people grasp their door handle they are grasping both the inside and the outside of the handle in their grip - why so sure its the inside bit unlocking and the outside bit locking? If VAG can get away with 1 sensor to do both jobs per door handle, they won't fit 2.
I don't usually disagree with you, but the facts are there. Please view the video I supplied or read the Cupra Born Users manual page 92 which clearly shows the different sensors and clearly states the procedures for locking and unlocking: [url]file:///C:/Users/ezz002/Documents/Car%20stuff/Cupra_Born/Cupra_Born_Manual_11_21_EN.pdf[/url]

If you google it, you'll find multiple entries that confirm this,

I agree that I had a lot of problems when I first got a VW with KESSY but I quickly got used to it. VW have a lot of background and expertise with the inside/outside sensors for KESSY and they can't get away with one so they do fit two.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Happened to me as well, lately. Weather (-10°) definitely does not improve function. Strangely enough, locking works flawlessly - unlocking is what doesn’t work…
Cupra Born since ‘22