My Cupra App not working tonight

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Timpjones

Post by Timpjones »

Yes - I’m having the same issue.

The app has worked intermittently for the last 48 hours.

For some reason it’s playing havoc with Intelligent Octopus. Although Octopus are setting the charging routine the vehicle isn’t charging properly.

I have a 180m round commute and have been left with approx. 32% battery capacity each morning.

Are there any other Intelligent Octopus users having a similar issue?

Thanks

RKJM30

Post by RKJM30 »

Yes. I noticed the app was not functioning correctly last evening too (12 July 2023). I’m also with intelligent octopus and the car started charging at 1750 when I plugged it in and didn’t stop (and would not have stopped until it hit its own charge limit of 100%) until I pressed stop charging in the infotainment system in the car. Although the app appears to have come back up by 22:00 the location of the car was not correct (it was still in London, about 80 miles from its actual location) and it is still incorrect this morning too. This means that intelligent octopus does not see the car as being at home and so did not set a charging map. Thankfully I decided not to rely on the My Cupra app working last night and I set the charger to scheduled charge 23:30-05:30, unplugged and plugged back in to override the previous stop charging command.

I believe the only way VAG will improve reliability of the app is if more people complain, explaining that they are responsible for failures of Demand Side Response (DSR of which intelligent octopus is an example) grid balancing when the app interface fails.
Born V3-Tech L Heatpump
Hypervolt 2.0
Intelligent Octopus
MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

I have my OVO Charge Anytime set up via my charger rather than via the Born. I set it up that way so I can offer charging to guests and visitors at cheap rates, but I'm glad I did now for my own sake too!
RKJM30

Post by RKJM30 »

So the back end appears to be offline yet again. Is anyone else getting “Connection error” and an “amusing” cartoon of a UFO knocking over a transmitter tower?
Born V3-Tech L Heatpump
Hypervolt 2.0
Intelligent Octopus
daern

Post by daern »

Yeah, the SSL certificate has expired on the backend and it won't work again until VAG renew it as the application will (quite rightly) reject the expired one

Screenshot 2023-08-16 202038.png

Press "F" to laugh.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

RKJM30 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:20 pm So the back end appears to be offline yet again. Is anyone else getting “Connection error” and an “amusing” cartoon of a UFO knocking over a transmitter tower?
I'm not getting that and was hoping to see it.
In Daern's post a SSL certificate is mentioned and the need for VAG to renew it but I don't understand what that means. Is it like somebody forgot to put some money in the electric meter. Is the fault that basic?
It surely can't be rocket science to get an app working correctly.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
daern

Post by daern »

Daveion wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:29 pm Is it like somebody forgot to put some money in the electric meter. Is the fault that basic?
Broadly speaking, this is spot on. Modern IT systems use certificates to secure them, and these are time limited (normally 12 months, but the cheapo, free ones used by Cupra are 3 months) and must be renewed before they expire or systems than talk to them (i.e. apps) will reject the server due to its expired certificate. Literally, systems management basics for a hosted platform and probably the one thing that you never, ever forget to do. The second the certificate tips past the expiry date, apps will reject it, and everything stops working until it's renewed.

This one expired this morning and hasn't been fixed 12 hours later. It is, literally, the work of a moment to fix and almost unbelievable that they are not aware of the fault.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

daern wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:40 pm
Daveion wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:29 pm Is it like somebody forgot to put some money in the electric meter. Is the fault that basic?
Broadly speaking, this is spot on. Modern IT systems use certificates to secure them, and these are time limited (normally 12 months, but the cheapo, free ones used by Cupra are 3 months) and must be renewed before they expire or systems than talk to them (i.e. apps) will reject the server due to its expired certificate. Literally, systems management basics for a hosted platform and probably the one thing that you never, ever forget to do. The second the certificate tips past the expiry date, apps will reject it, and everything stops working until it's renewed.

This one expired this morning and hasn't been fixed 12 hours later. It is, literally, the work of a moment to fix and almost unbelievable that they are not aware of the fault.
Thanks for that Daern. I find that really worrying. Something so intrinsically linked to the ownership of the car shouldn't be so vulnerable. The team responsible for this need some lessons in Business Resilience.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Someone was stupid enough to use a dev/pre environment certificate in a production system. Looking at the multiple hostnames secured with that cert they are in a world of pain figuring out where and which systems need the certificate to be updated.
Cupra Born V2 58kWh - Silver. Tech L
Porsche Macan MY23 GTS - Crayon
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

One stopped working yesterday but I have to say so did TRONITY

My iPad updated to iOS 16.6 the night before so I suspect that’s connected in some way.