Switching electricity & gas supplier?

The place to discuss everything else..
Rerb

Post by Rerb »

Hi
I am currently with edf & do not have a tariff to accommodate ev charging.
Just a bit lost at what to do as everyone including suppliers are more or less implying not to move suppliers at the moment.
If I did would I be locked into a hyper priced tariff due to the fuel & energy crisis we are in at the moment?
I was thinking of moving to octopus as I have the electrocard.
Any advice would be really helpful 🙂
V3, Aurora Blue, Beats Audio, Glass Roof

alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I'm on a fixed 2-year tariff which still has a year to run, but which does not have an EV tariff. I also have monthly meter readings for the last two years. In my case, I do not do a lot of mileage so I don't expect to charge the car more than once a month or so.
I ran an Excel spreadsheet to compare the yearly cost of charging the EV at the full current domestic rate against switching tariff to Octopus to get the benefit of a reduced EV charging rate, along with an increased domestic tariff, I found that the switch would cost me £500 a year more.
So, for me, I am much better off paying full whack than changing to an EV tariff.
If you have your own power usage figures and anticipated mileage, you should be able to make your own comparison. (Electricity is easy, gas is a PIA to convert!)
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Rerb

Post by Rerb »

That's great as I don't do a lot of mileage so I think I may be in the same boat so to speak.
Will equate usage & I think I'll be staying put for now.
Cheers for that!!!!
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Octopus do not lock you into their fixed rate EV tariffs but if you leave one you’re not allowed to go back on it for a month. In theory you could switch between GO and Intelligent if you have the right equipment.

If you have a SMET2 meter and 50% or more of your electricity use is for the car then it’s definitely worth switching, especially if you can run your dishwasher and washing machine etc on a timer. Octopus won’t let you do it online but if you call and explain you want to switch because you want to go on an EV tariff they will let you. You’ll be put on their standard tariff and you can apply to get GO (or intelligent if you have an Ohme or Wall box charger) after a month of your meter sending half hourly readings.

If you have a lot of domestic use or people home most of the day and don’t do many miles then an EV tariff could work out more expensive as they are around 8p more than the cap prices at peak rate. If you know your weekly use for domestic and EV then calculate domestic KWh x £0.42 then calculate EV kWh x £0.12. Add them together and divide total kWh for both. If it’s less than the cap at £0.34 then it’s worth switching. For me it’s around £0.16 but I’m on a lower rate than currently available.

Both EV tariffs they do are electric only so there is no point switching your gas from your current provider.

This is from my latest bill and perhaps explains what I said about calculating it better:

FB35211E-B700-4B7A-B31D-08387F89A09B.jpeg

Rerb

Post by Rerb »

Right
There is people at home through the day so it's looking as though im staying put.
I will have a good look at billing tomorrow, have an old podpoint & hoping to get a used wallbox or similar as I can install it myself so I can adjust times & even lock power as i cant do it with my old pod point.
Cheers for the info I can try & possibly sort something out
alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

I work from home all day and do washing and chores. My car is mainly for leisure so I found it wasn't worth it. Not unless you charge every night
Born V2 Vapour Grey
Rerb

Post by Rerb »

Hi Alex & all
I've looked into & it's not viable to switch at the moment.
So pleased I posted as I'd probably moved without looking into it properly!!!!
Thanx very much everyone 😉