Cupra Born Support in Home Assistant

All CUPRA Born related discussions
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

I have a Cupra Born and Home Assistant Yellow box on the way so potentially expect questions! :)
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot

daern

Post by daern »

Hopefully stock issues are sorted now. Raspberry Pi 4s are probably the one thing harder to get hold of than an EV recently! ;)
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

FYI: Tronity now has support for Home Assistant: https://github.com/tronity/homeassistant
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

daern wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:42 am Hopefully stock issues are sorted now. Raspberry Pi 4s are probably the one thing harder to get hold of than an EV recently! ;)
I managed to get a home assistant yellow delivered yesterday and finally got the basics up and running. I have had a brief look at your Cupra integrations which look great. Is there an easy setup guide for n00bs such as myself?
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
daern

Post by daern »

CupraV3 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:56 pm
daern wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:42 am Hopefully stock issues are sorted now. Raspberry Pi 4s are probably the one thing harder to get hold of than an EV recently! ;)
I managed to get a home assistant yellow delivered yesterday and finally got the basics up and running. I have had a brief look at your Cupra integrations which look great. Is there an easy setup guide for n00bs such as myself?
Sure. Just a few steps and relatively straightforward:

1. Download the latest version of the custom component from here.
2. Copy the contents to \custom_components\volkswagen_we_connect_id (this folder should contain several .py files, and a single subfolder)
3. Reboot HA
4. In the web UI, go to Settings -> Devices & Settings, click "add integration" and select "Volkswagen We Connect ID".
5. It will take a few minutes to download some dependencies, compile them and you should (after a few minutes) be presented with a login box so be patient!
6. Once the login box appears, select the Cupra option, stick your app credentials in and you should get a whole load of interesting new entities to play with.

(Regarding step 2, a few people struggle with this. Do not use HACS at this time. Personally, I have the "Samba Share" add-on installed which allows me to access all of the files on HA from my desktop, using \\<ip-address>\config, which I find far more convenient for development and general fiddling about. HACS support is coming at some point when I get round to making a proper fork from the original VW integration!)
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

This is perfect! Thanks for taking the time. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to get it up and running this weekend.
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

Thanks to @daern and his instructions I have managed to set up the Cupra Borns stats in Home Assistant. I am still playing with the views and what info and controls I want but it's much more pleasant to use than the My Cupra app. Also when I tap the picture it takes me directly to www.cuprabornforums.com :lol:

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10.20.41 am.png

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I read these posts with interest and feel I'm missing out on something. I have asked before but not really understood the answers. Is it something like Tronity where you have more access to data or are you able to control/change car settings?
If I'm happy with what I get from Tronity and PodPoint do I need it?
Thanks
Dave
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
daern

Post by daern »

@CupraV3 Nice one - looks good.
Daveion wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:05 pm If I'm happy with what I get from Tronity and PodPoint do I need it?
Home Assistant is much more than just controlling your car. It's the hub of your whole home automation ecosystem, integrating (if you so desire) every smart device you own - lights, security, cameras, switches, sensors, heating, etc. - so including the car in this makes lots of sense. Obviously, if you're just using it for the car, then it's probably overkill and other solutions (including the official app) may serve you better, but for those already using HA I would suggest that adding this integration is a no brainer as it's a better experience across the board.

What you do with it is up to you? Personally, I have a few automations on mine so I know when it needs charging (and it nags me to plug it in if I forget!) and some stuff around managing climate control automatically (based on the external temperature - another sensor :) ). I have a nice screen in the kitchen which tells me, at a glance, what the state of the car is which is quite useful:

PXL_20230114_140651193.MP.jpg

So the answer is...it's up to you. But if you are interested in home automation, then Home Assistant is an excellent product and well worth a look.
born_owner

Post by born_owner »

At the risk of getting incredibly boring, could anyone help me identify exactly what some of the sensors are telling us? I've tried to list them all below, along with definitions where it's obvious or I've worked it out. But some of them are a bit cryptic. I'm keen to understand all of the things that can be reported, so that I can work out what funky stuff I can do with automation etc., but also to help decide what can be switched off in HA to reduce the number of sensors and therefore load on the system (particularly read/write to the SD card).

Understood
Engine Status - Is the engine on or off?
Health Inspection - Does the vehicle think it's due a health inspection?
Lights Status - Are the vehicle's exterior lights switched on?
Odometer in Kilometers - Total distance travelled (km)
Odometer in Miles - Total distance travelled (miles)
Range in Kilometers - Estimated range at current battery status (km)
Range in Miles - Estimated range at current battery status (miles)

Charge Power - Power currently being delivered to the battery by charger
Charge Rate - Range being added to the vehicle battery at the current charge power (km added per hour of charge)
Charge Type - Is current charge AC or DC?
Charging State - Is the vehicle ready to charge?
State of Charge - Current percentage charge of the battery's total capacity
Remaining Charging Time - Time until battery is fully charged (at current charge rate)
Plug Connection State - Is there a plug in the vehicle's charging socket?
Plug Lock State - Is the charging cable locked into the vehicle's charging socket?
Auto Unlock Plug When Charged - Should the charging cable be automatically unlocked when the vehicle's battery is fully charged?

Window Front Left Open Status - Is the front left window open?
Window Front Right Open Status - Is the front right window open?
Window Rear Left Open Status - Is the rear left window open?
Window Rear Right Open Status - Is the rear right window open?

Door Front Left Open Status - Is the front left door open?
Door Rear Left Open Status - Is the rear left door open?
Door Rear Right Open Status - Is the rear right door open?
Door Front Right Open Status - Is the front right door open?
Trunk Open Status - Is the boot open?

Door Rear Left Lock Status - Is the rear left door locked?
Door Front Left Lock Status - Is the front left door locked?
Door Rear Right Lock Status - Is the rear right door locked?
Door Front Right Lock Status - Is the front right door locked?
Trunk Lock Status - Is the boot locked?

Climatisation at Unlock - Should climatisation start as soon as the vehicle is unlocked?
Climatisation State - Is climatisation switched on now?
Remaining Climatisation Time - Time until climatisation switches off
Target Temperature C - Requested target temperature for climatisation (deg. C)
Target Temperatur F - Requested target temperature for climatisation (deg. F)
Zone Front Left Enabled - Is the front left climatisation zone enabled?
Zone Front Right Enabled - Is the front right climatisation zone enabled?

Missing

Overall Status -
Car Is Active -
Car is Online -
Unit in Car -

Insufficient Battery Level Warning -

Charging Mode -
Charging Settings -
Max Charge Current AC -

Window Heating Enabled -
Front Window Heating State -
Rear Window Heating State -