Cheap and easy wireless phone charger

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Deleted User 490

Post by Deleted User 490 »

Interesting! My car has a the wireless charger option that my Cupra dealer confirmed doesn't work for iPhone 12 onwards, so does your solution work when there is already a wireless charger beneath it? Your post suggests your car has the option too, but just making sure.

Ryantg

Post by Ryantg »

Not sure if your referring me or the original post. But my one is just a MagSafe charger with a 3d print around it. Securing the MagSafe. It's magnetic, keeping the iPhone locked in place. Works pretty well. Plus you can use the USB-C ports in the console.

Technically, if your Cupra has wireless charging? It's likely the exact same part in the Cupra Born. Not only does it charge your phone, but it's also a booster for your mobile signal - https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/seat ... /5na980611

It has 3 x QI Coils inside and the joke of it is!... It doesn't work like you say for anything newer than an iPhone 12. You could disconnect the part underneath if you was worried. But i went with MagSafe. So no interference with the coils in the Cupra part. Reason the part sucks is there the EXACT same part for the last 5 years!! No change.. Might be even older than that. So Audi / VW / Seat / Cupra all use the same... No wonder it doesn't work on newer iPhones. It's just bog standard QI Coils. Android users will have better luck using it.

If you want plug and play? Get a MagSafe charger, and I'll release the 3D print model soon. Not sure if my 3d Model is compatible with your Cupra tho
Deleted User 490

Sorry @Ryantg, my comment was referring to your post, I should have said.

If you don’t mind could you explain more about the signal boosting? Using the current wireless tray am I right in thinking that if it the charging isn’t working there is no signal boost either, but, if I connect the phone to one of the USB-C ports in the console there will be signal boosting as well as charging? Which means if a MagSafe as per your solution is plugged into a USB-C port, the signal gets boosted and the phone gets wireless charging too? Hopefully that makes sense!
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

In crude terms, the signal booster in the 5NA980611 unit is like a pre-amp which is wired to a so-called "compenser" aka "Transmission and reception stabilization unit R308" mounted in the trunk which is the main signal booster/amplifier. The compenser is wired to a secondary antenna in the second trunk-mounted LTE antenna module.

I didn't order any Tech package with my Born and was curious about retrofitting the wireless charger because of the signal booster feature. I looked up the service manuals (available online) and quickly figured the amount of wiring was simply not worth it for me.
Last edited by Elea4 on Mon May 22, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 490

Ok, so in what circumstances does the phone get signal boost? E.g. via in-built wireless pad but the charging needs to be working? Or if the charging isnt working via a USB-C port in the console?
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Born Leccy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:30 am Ok, so in what circumstances does the phone get signal boost? E.g. via in-built wireless pad but the charging needs to be working? Or if the charging isnt working via a USB-C port in the console?
Uhhh... not sure. I've never looked up the patents. Technically it should be a completely different circuit as it's operating on a completely different frequency band.

There's some possibility that the inductive charging coil to first detect the phone before turning on the mobile booster. Shouldn't be too hard to test different scenarios in a location where mobile reception is bad but can be improved with the signal booster.
Ryantg

Post by Ryantg »

This part has been found on various Audi / VW / Seat etc... from 2015!! It's not new tech. Old, and not been future proofed.. So I doubt there is a massive boost in signal. But the part details "Signal booster".. I don't know.. My MagSafe / 3D Part avoids the main Wireless charging part included in the Cupra Born. Sucks for anyone with an iPhone 12 or later..

I will put a new post in the up coming days for my 3D part. MagSafe is what I would recommend with anyone with an iPhone. Not QI Charging. More for Android users
cianodj

Post by cianodj »

Ryantg wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:12 pm Questa è davvero una buona mod per gli utenti Android di sicuro. Tuttavia, ho un iPhone 13 Pro.. E ogni volta che vado intorno agli angoli o alla curva? Fa impazzire lo schermo e dice che ho tolto il telefono dalla carica.... Con o senza custodia. Quindi...... Uso un caricabatterie MagSafe collegato alla porta USB-C. Ho progettato un vassoio MagSafe per il Cupra Born. Condividerò maggiori dettagli quando avrò finito il progetto. Quando ho più tempo libero. Ho appena usato del nastro biadesivo e mantiene l'iPhone carico e sicuro. Lo adoro. Credi che possa funzionare anche sui dispositivi Android. È solo un design Beta in questo momento. Necessità di fare un supporto regolabile in modo che gli altri possano impostare l'altezza a seconda di quale iPhone. Image [/citazione] Hi, I tried to stick like you but I don't really start charging through the Apple MagSafe stand
Dalgal

Post by Dalgal »

My iPhone 13 charges fine? It’s in one of those rubber feel cases so it doesn’t slide to the bottom of the tray so maybe that’s an even easier solution?