Cheap and easy wireless phone charger

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Ice o

Post by Ice o »

Cheap and easy phone hack for all of us who don't have the wireless phone charger installed in their car.
I picked up my car a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I had a wireless phone symbol on the phone holder mat, but it wasn't charging my phone..... So, I removed the mat and found a blanking plate. After popping that out, I noticed no wiring harnesses, etc....
So I bought a ( Qi Wireless Charger PCBA Circuit Board with Coil Wireless Safe AA Charging T4Y5 ) from ebay for £3
I cut a thin slot in the blanking plate, wide enough to allow the coil to fit through , then using some double-sided tape I affixed the coil to the middle of the plate " making sure it facings up" Then again affix the small circuit board to the underside of the blanking plate.
Using a USB to type c charger cable, plug the USB into the circuit board and make a small notch at the bottom of the blanking plate to allow the cable to fit through,then plug into your type C port in the console. Push the blanking plate back Into the aperture and refit rubber mat. And there you go a wireless charger mat for your car

IMG-20221123-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20221123-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20221123-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20221123-WA0004.jpg

Screenshot_20221123_193231_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20221123_193242_eBay.jpg

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Probably works better than the official fitted one that turns your phone into a handy hand warmer for the Winter but adds very little charge.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
daern

Post by daern »

Useful thing to stick anywhere, TBH. Wonder how much thickness of material it will work through - I'm betting not more than 1mm or so...
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Hi Ice o
I do like this mod and it seems straight forward.
The rubber trim lays on top of the coil that must have some thickness so just wondered whether the trim sits down nicely where it should be.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Ice o

Post by Ice o »

To be honest, it doesn't affect the mat anyway at all. The coil is about 1mm think, so you can't notice it yet still powers the phone. Bear in mind that these coils fit into plastic holders more than a 2mm thick.
I placed mine in the middle of the blanking plate, and powers my samsung fold 3 with a case on, with no problems.
Use a dremel or a 2mm drill to make the slot, saying that a soldering iron would do as well.
If you want i can strip it down tomorrow and take some photos
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Ice o wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:54 pm To be honest, it doesn't affect the mat anyway at all. The coil is about 1mm think, so you can't notice it yet still powers the phone. Bear in mind that these coils fit into plastic holders more than a 2mm thick.
I placed mine in the middle of the blanking plate, and powers my samsung fold 3 with a case on, with no problems.
Use a dremel or a 2mm drill to make the slot, saying that a soldering iron would do as well.
If you want i can strip it down tomorrow and take some photos
No that's OK. I think your description/pics illustrated the mod really well.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

Does the blanking plate come out easily? I always end up breaking stuff like this. There's always a method to release them that isn't obvious till you've broken it! :o :roll: :lol:
"Bog Standard" in a nice bland colour will do! :D
coaster88

Post by coaster88 »

Never mind.

Just pops off with a little bit more pressure than is comfortable! ;-)
"Bog Standard" in a nice bland colour will do! :D
Ryantg

Post by Ryantg »

This is a really good mod for android users for sure.

However, I have an iPhone 13 Pro.. And every time I go round corners or bends? Causes the screen to freak out and say that I've taken the phone off its charge.... With or without a case. So...... I use a MagSafe charger connected to the USB-C port. I Designed a MagSafe tray for the Cupra Born. Will share more details when i've finished the design. When I have more free time. I just used some double sided tape, and it keeps the iPhone charged and secure. Love it. Believe it can work on Android devices too.

It's just a Beta design right now. Need to make adjustable stand so others can set the height depending on which iPhone.

Ryantg

Post by Ryantg »

Ignore the colour i used :lol: Wanted to use blue as i have tons of Blue filament