Fault in the electric drive system

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Graham B

Post by Graham B »

My Born is still showing the same fault after 1 month of driving. CUPRA have finally managed to fit me in for the 1 Born trained mechanic to have a look at it, so fingers crossed they find a fix for all of us who are seeing this worrying fault! 🤞
CUPRA Born V2 Quasar Grey May 2022 L-Tech Pack

Graham B

Post by Graham B »

OK so I took my Born into the garage on the 8th to have the fault fixed by CUPRA. Eventually got a lone car and setting out at 07:00 in this cold snap made me realise I need more than a heated seat and steering wheel to keep the screen clear! Unfortunately it would appear the Electric Drive fault warning light was tripped by a failure in the heating EPCU! After a very cold drive to the garage, I left it with them and took the loan car home. It took CUPRA 2 days to diagnose, order and fit the part. Apart from trying to get me to return the loan early, drive my broken car home only to drive it back the next day to have the part fitted (I refused!), they fixed the part and I have no warning lights and everything appears to function fine! Looks like the Electric Drive warning light may be triggered by faults in other EPCU’s and as the Born has something like 25 of them (according to CUPRA roadside assistance at any rate) I guess this explains the frequency of the fault in these pages. A message like ‘Heating Failure’ would have been helpful!
CUPRA Born V2 Quasar Grey May 2022 L-Tech Pack
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Glad it’s sorted 👍
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
Maz123

Post by Maz123 »

So was supposed to pick up my born on Tuesday after waiting 10 months . Went there and after a wait of 2 hrs the service guy showed up saying that an electric drive fault appeared on the dash while moving the car up from the garage and they are trying to find the solution of what has caused that. After another 2hrs they could not find the source of this error (from what I was told something wrong with the charging system even though when plugged in it still accepts charge) and they told me I have to wait until further notice for this to be resolved. Strange thing is that they had the same issue on the same day with another born delivery. Both cars were put on to charge at night to 100 percent before they were supposed to be delivered. Couple of days passed by and still no news. I’m not sure what my options are at this time. Car have been fully paid in cash and I’m not sure if I can reject delivery or wait for this to be fixed. Not a great start.

B5AE8DCA-607A-4B3E-9A30-DA6D1F189B9F.jpeg

Born 58kw Eboost- panoramic glass - DCC - Pilot L - Beats - Tech M - Dynamica package.
Deleted User 763

Post by Deleted User 763 »

BY law you can sent the car back and get a full refund within 30 days of purchase what ever seat say trust me i have checked
Bazzachazza

Post by Bazzachazza »

Afternoon all

Current v1 owner and previously a LEON PHEV owner. I had this error twice on the car so far, first time associated with an app update, may have been coincidence. I was off a night duty and waiting in work to go home so called the assist number. I went to tell security the AA would be coming and to let them in. While I chatted away with them the AA arrived and we went to the car. Car was all normal, no errors and drove fine for 3 weeks then issue repeated itself and cleared itself.

In my case, thankfully, it clears if you lock it and leave it for 10-15 mins to reset itself.

Previously on my Leon I had this issue. But as I had just finished a night I had forgotten what to do. Essentially the car version of switch it off/ switch it back on. With the Leon I had a long list of software issues so when I was booking it in it took 10 mins to tell him what they were. For each one they had an update or a fix. Once update they never repeated themselves. Front assist fail, electric motor error, KESSY errors, parking sensor errors, headlight auto dip fail, camera fail, screen would go pink and would need to be restarted etc etc. They were all transient and fixed themselves after an off/on cycle.

I suspect what we have here is a rush to market with software that is essentially being Beta tested by owners and each new update fixes issues. It’s annoying and it should happen, but it seems part of the modern world. Nothing comes fully functional anymore from day 1. Even my Tarraco and Alhambras before had software issues and centre display issues.
Bazzachazza

Post by Bazzachazza »

I have my Born in at the moment having the 360° camera error problem fixed. All cameras are non functional. Mentioned the motor issue message.

Camera control unit had failed but it’s working again, they will replace the CCU when replacement arrives.

The motor issue he said was to do with the electric charger. The error messages were something to the connect and disconnect. He asked what sort of charger I was using AC or DC. Technically I use both in work as there is 2 different types. Errors have come up as a result of both. He said there was no problem with the motor. I’ll find out more tomorrow as he will explain it better in person when I collect it.
Bazzachazza

Post by Bazzachazza »

Collected car earlier.

I was told that the error messages were related to the charging cable being disconnected before the charging process had finished.

First time yes absolutely, charge had finished and I had stopped the process via the app. The car when unlocked wouldn’t release the cable and I had to manually pull the pin to detach it. So possibly the charging point hadn’t unshook.

Second time, I did my normal process and took the cable out normally but warning was there.

Again as others have said across other forums, leave the car for 5-10 mins and system clears the errors.
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

Bazzachazza wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:29 pm Collected car earlier.

I was told that the error messages were related to the charging cable being disconnected before the charging process had finished.

First time yes absolutely, charge had finished and I had stopped the process via the app. The car when unlocked wouldn’t release the cable and I had to manually pull the pin to detach it. So possibly the charging point hadn’t unshook.

Second time, I did my normal process and took the cable out normally but warning was there.

Again as others have said across other forums, leave the car for 5-10 mins and system clears the errors.
Did you first try pressing the unlock button twice (double-click) on the remote before resorting to the manual unlock?
Bazzachazza

Post by Bazzachazza »

Elea4 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:00 am
Bazzachazza wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:29 pm Collected car earlier.

Did you first try pressing the unlock button twice (double-click) on the remote before resorting to the manual unlock?
Yes double, triple, quadruple clicked several times and no joy. Pulling the pin was last resort even after a google search to confirm number of times I had to do it. Pulling the pin was straightforward and it works fine afterwards as well.