What EV charger

The place to discuss everything else..
daern

Post by daern »

Just a note on the Ohme Pro - it still has a known issue with both the ID.3 and the Born where, depending on configuration, it can cause the car to drop to trickle charging. The specific case is where you have the charger managing the schedule (in my case 2am - 6am) rather than the car, so when the car is plugged in it sees the connection, but no power until 2am when the charger turns on. This seems to trigger some "undocumented features" in VW's software which, under some circumstances, causes the car to slow charge. It's quickly fixed - pausing and resuming the charge, either from the car or the charger will restore full 7kW+ charging, but unless you are watching it at 2am, it's more likely you'll just find a partially-charged car the next morning.

In my experience, it happens around 1 in 10 charges, but it's pretty random. Ohme know about it and had scheduled a fix (or at least a workaround) for later this year, although I've not heard anything for a couple of months. I suspect that using the car to schedule rather than the charger would also work. For now, I've got a workaround that automatically stops and starts the charge when I detect slow charging, so I've not bothered to try this, and as most of the time it's fine, I don't worry too much.

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

daern wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:37 pm Just a note on the Ohme Pro - it still has a known issue with both the ID.3 and the Born where, depending on configuration, it can cause the car to drop to trickle charging. The specific case is where you have the charger managing the schedule (in my case 2am - 6am) rather than the car, so when the car is plugged in it sees the connection, but no power until 2am when the charger turns on. This seems to trigger some "undocumented features" in VW's software which, under some circumstances, causes the car to slow charge. It's quickly fixed - pausing and resuming the charge, either from the car or the charger will restore full 7kW+ charging, but unless you are watching it at 2am, it's more likely you'll just find a partially-charged car the next morning.

In my experience, it happens around 1 in 10 charges, but it's pretty random. Ohme know about it and had scheduled a fix (or at least a workaround) for later this year, although I've not heard anything for a couple of months. I suspect that using the car to schedule rather than the charger would also work. For now, I've got a workaround that automatically stops and starts the charge when I detect slow charging, so I've not bothered to try this, and as most of the time it's fine, I don't worry too much.
Try changing you car in the Ohme app to ‘ ID3 1st 2022 CPWL’. It was what they set up that got my ID3 working and another forum member suddenly started getting the same problem with his Born and it worked for him on that too.

You might get a red charge port light and warnings on the Cupra app to reconnect the charger and notification’s on the Ohme app that the charge has stopped unexpectedly but ignore them. It will almost certainly cure your half rate charge speed issues.
daern

Post by daern »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:18 pm Try changing you car in the Ohme app to ‘ ID3 1st 2022 CPWL’. It was what they set up that got my ID3 working and another forum member suddenly started getting the same problem with his Born and it worked for him on that too.
Indeed. I'm aware of this (they were going to create a Cupra-specific variant to be consistent) but after discussing it with them, I've held back so I can act as a test-bed for them properly fixing the problem rather than this workaround (which does some rather nasty things with the signalling!). Now this thread has reminded me, I'll reach out to them and see if they've made any progress on this yet and will report back.
Colin1517

Post by Colin1517 »

We have a Pod Point that has been on the wall since September last year, and to date nothing has been plugged into it! 😂
I ordered an id3 at the same time as the charger, the car has still not arrived. I gave up on the VW when our fleet dept offered me a Cupra Born arriving in January, so hopefully it’ll work when I finally get my electric car.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

daern wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:42 pm
TheBornIDentity wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:18 pm Try changing you car in the Ohme app to ‘ ID3 1st 2022 CPWL’. It was what they set up that got my ID3 working and another forum member suddenly started getting the same problem with his Born and it worked for him on that too.
Indeed. I'm aware of this (they were going to create a Cupra-specific variant to be consistent) but after discussing it with them, I've held back so I can act as a test-bed for them properly fixing the problem rather than this workaround (which does some rather nasty things with the signalling!). Now this thread has reminded me, I'll reach out to them and see if they've made any progress on this yet and will report back.
What are these "nasty things with the signalling"? I've just started using the aforementioned workaround after my Born started charging at 3.7A in the Octopus Go window about 7 weeks ago.

I pretty much just got the brush off from Ohme after they did some testing, completely blaming the car. They couldn't explain why it had just started after 4 trouble-free months, when seemingly nothing has changed with either the car or charger settings in the last 7 weeks.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Thanks for the insight into the issues with the Ohme Pro charging at slower rates.
Is this still an issue or has a fix been put in place.
My Born should be arriving in 2-3 weeks and I really need to get a charger sorted.
I am wondering whether I take the gamble on the Ohme or i go with a safe bet like a Pod Point Solo 3. Most of my charging will be done during the night and I cannot afford to have any charging issues preventing me from travelling to work next day. My daily round trip commute is around 80 miles.

I have no solar or batteries and don’t intend to anytime soon.
I think I will probably end up moving to Octopus Go rather than Agile. I am a bulb customer and waiting to hear what is happening with the takeover, tarrifs etc

Thanks…
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey
daern

Post by daern »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:49 pm What are these "nasty things with the signalling"? I've just started using the aforementioned workaround after my Born started charging at 3.7A in the Octopus Go window about 7 weeks ago.
Been a few months since I last spoke to them, but my understanding is that they are forcing the car to stay awake for longer periods, as it's the transitions as the car is going in and out of sleep that cause the issue. I've poked Ohme for an update and will report back when I hear something.

My own is still behaving relatively well most of the time, so it's probably not worth blowing this out of proportion and, for those with the workaround in place, if it's working, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 091338.png

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

daern wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:10 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:49 pm What are these "nasty things with the signalling"? I've just started using the aforementioned workaround after my Born started charging at 3.7A in the Octopus Go window about 7 weeks ago.
Been a few months since I last spoke to them, but my understanding is that they are forcing the car to stay awake for longer periods, as it's the transitions as the car is going in and out of sleep that cause the issue. I've poked Ohme for an update and will report back when I hear something.

My own is still behaving relatively well most of the time, so it's probably not worth blowing this out of proportion and, for those with the workaround in place, if it's working, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 091338.png
If it was 1 in 10 like you were experiencing, I would leave as is, but it was more like 4 times out of 5 for me, and only in the last 7 weeks - almost flawless for 12 months on the ID3s and 4 months onthe Borns prior to that. I'll not worry about the car suffering insomnia when plugged in for a charge.

"Nasty things with signalling" initially sounded a lot more ominous than your explanation. Ohme were quick to look into my issue, but ultimately I feel a bit fobbed off - 16 months of faultless performance then 7 weeks of 16A charging but nothing has changed with the car - very quick to blame the car and not even do or propose a proper workaround on what seems to be a known issue.

daern

Post by daern »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:25 pm If it was 1 in 10 like you were experiencing, I would leave as is, but it was more like 4 times out of 5 for me, and only in the last 7 weeks - almost flawless for 12 months on the ID3s and 4 months onthe Borns prior to that. I'll not worry about the car suffering insomnia when plugged in for a charge.
I see from your signature that you have a brace of Borns. Do you also have two chargers, and/or do you find that the two cars behave identically when it comes to the intermittent slow charging?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

daern wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:09 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:25 pm If it was 1 in 10 like you were experiencing, I would leave as is, but it was more like 4 times out of 5 for me, and only in the last 7 weeks - almost flawless for 12 months on the ID3s and 4 months onthe Borns prior to that. I'll not worry about the car suffering insomnia when plugged in for a charge.
I see from your signature that you have a brace of Borns. Do you also have two chargers, and/or do you find that the two cars behave identically when it comes to the intermittent slow charging?
They both act the same way on the one charger we have. I did try and upload the car ids to the charger but it would only take one, so I left the car type in but didn't register the specific ID of either.

No point having 2 chargers for us, we can pull all we need for both cars from the one charger and if we had 2 chargers charging 2 cars at the same time, current would be reduced anyway, I'm assuming.