What EV charger

The place to discuss everything else..
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Just wondering what people’s recommendations would be for a new EV charger?
Currently looking through reviews and it’s a minefield.
Come to the conclusion that I would probably prefer tethered (save getting the cable out all the time) and I need about 7m
I have the option of putting it on the outside house wall behind a gate which would be out of view, or also in the garage. I have an electric garage door so can stop it just above the cable.
Any thoughts on best location ?
Cheers folks :D
72 plate | V2 | 58Kwh | Tech L pack | Vapour Grey

Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

Hi mate, i have an E.V Project Charger. I have had zero issues and by all accounts was a straight forward install.

It is App activated so means not anyone can just hook up etc.
Cupra Born | V1 | Tech L Pack | Greyser Silver | Newcastle (North East|
pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

Hi,

I'm an owner of an Easee wall charger, again I was in the position as you a few months back and just had to make a call on which to purchase. Mine is just outside the garage and in view of the road.
So I went with the Easee due to the cost, size, features and look to be honest. It was a very easy install and I have not had any issues.
It is all run from the app which is great, cable is locked when charging and wall charger can be locked when not charging.

Good luck!
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Glacial White
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I had a Myenergi Zappi installed in my garage. Nice tidy job but since I don't have the car yet, I haven't been able to use it.
The reason it's in the garage is that I'm one of the few people who use the garage as a garage, in that I actually put the car in it! Strange, I know.
If you leave your car on the drive then it would make more sense to have the charger fitted outside. They are designed to be "lockable" so no-one else can use them and it's better than leaving your garage door slightly open.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the other forum members thoughts. I have sent a bunch of online enquiries but companies seem slow to respond (maybe they are busy 😂)
Hear back from Ohme installer who quoted £1300 to install an Ohme Pro charger. Pod point can provide a Solo 3 tethered unit installed for £969 and British Gas can provide a Hive for around £1000 installed. Still not decided and hopefully get a few more replies from other vendors shortly. Will keep you updated as to what I go for.
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Stevo1903 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:00 pm Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the other forum members thoughts. I have sent a bunch of online enquiries but companies seem slow to respond (maybe they are busy 😂)
Hear back from Ohme installer who quoted £1300 to install an Ohme Pro charger. Pod point can provide a Solo 3 tethered unit installed for £969 and British Gas can provide a Hive for around £1000 installed. Still not decided and hopefully get a few more replies from other vendors shortly. Will keep you updated as to what I go for.
If it’s an Ohme that you want then you can buy them through Octopus energy and they might be able to do it cheaper for you.

If you plan on getting Solar, Zappi would definitely be worth considering.

I’ve got an Ohme pro and when they integrate it with the API for the car it will be a hell of a charge and it’s compatible with Octopus intelligent. Beware though they have had issues with all the MEB platform cars (including mine when I had an ID3) rejecting the 7.4kW charge rate and going at 4kW if left plugged in a long time followed by a complicated schedule being planned by the app. You probably won’t have issues with it as my Born doesn’t and you car will be a later version.
Stevo1903

Post by Stevo1903 »

I have a quote from Octopus for an Ohme Pro.
They need me to get my provider to install a mains isolator switch as for some reason my property does not have one. My current provider (Bulb) can do it for £120.
Octopus have also given me an option to fit a surge protection device? What are peoples opinions of those? Is it a nice to have or a requirement?

Thanks
Brapsticle

Post by Brapsticle »

We went with the pod point tethered and in the garage and have had 0 issues with it, the cable is small enough that we can fully close the garage without any issues and charges great. Haven't used any other home chargers to compare but no complaints from us with podpoint
V3 58Kw Aurora Blue, since Sept 22
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Stevo1903 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:31 am I have a quote from Octopus for an Ohme Pro.
They need me to get my provider to install a mains isolator switch as for some reason my property does not have one. My current provider (Bulb) can do it for £120.
Octopus have also given me an option to fit a surge protection device? What are peoples opinions of those? Is it a nice to have or a requirement?

Thanks
I can see why someone would go for surge protection when you consider how expensive the thing you’re plugging in is. I don’t have one and wasn’t offered one though. Guess it depends how much more it would cost.
un_born

Post by un_born »

We charge ours on a Wallbox Pulsar+. Our electrician fitted it. We don't use any of the timers as I'm on flat rate electric and its never had any issue.