Is the user interface and the touch sensing buttons that bad?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
jayc

Post by jayc »

I'd like to get a new car soon to replace a 15 year old Hyundai and I like the Born.

Is the user interface and the touch sensing buttons that bad?
I will be using Carplay however don't want to struggle using the tech features, accidentally changing settings and, volume.

Aussie orders are coming soon. We have a different config -
77kwh as standard and 2 packages - Interior and Performance package. Adding either package changes the config to a 4 seat car which is ok but I would like a better choice of options.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-cupr ... australia/

TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

They aren’t so bad that I regret buying the car (I had an ID3 before so knew what I was in for). In my opinion the car would just be better with physical buttons. I’d still recommend the car to someone else.

It’s a really good car but if there was an almost identical car with real button on the wheel, physical heater controls and a physical button to turn of that damn lane assist I’d definitely pick that one.
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

I may well design a piano black cover for my touch controls under the screen. I find them a bit pointless and annoying.
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Don’t listen to the haters - it’s not as bad as it seems.
I use the adaptive cruise control ALL the time, and it works a treat when you have learnt it.
Setting the distance (the button under the ACC) is done once and then you forget about it, so that’s a non-issue.
Going back and forward through songs works just fine. The view button to switch views in the small screen, is also nothing to worry about. It works.

If anything, I’d say the volume control is a bit hard to use accurately, but you got controls under the screen (which you of course tap, and don’t slide as some ppl seem to do😂)

People will complain about anything, and if you watched the reviews for the Born, every damn reviewer felt the need to nag about the touch buttons on the wheel. Almost started getting comical. Also, everything was always better before, LP’s before CD’s, books before TV’s, horses before cars…

Oh, one more thing; people say they change the volume and the speed when they hold the wheel. Thos people obviously don’t know how to hold a steering wheel correctly - it’s supposed to be 10:10, not 9:15;)
Cupra Born since ‘22
Deleted User 456

Post by Deleted User 456 »

(Quote: Those people obviously don’t know how to hold a steering wheel correctly - it’s supposed to be 10:10, not 9:15;)

I agree, but it's still bad design to force people to hold a steering wheel exactly in a certain place otherwise you operate stuff accidentally.

I don't mind the touch controls at all. The only one I find annoying is the heater/volume under the main centre screen. If the road is a bit bumpy, my palm touches it and messes up the heat settings.
But, just cad designed a cover strip which I will laser cut out of some piano black plastic I have at work. Problem (for me), solved.
BornAgain

Post by BornAgain »

Obviously as a Born owner, I will be biased. But...
I've had to re-adjust my steering wheel hold position so as not to keep touching the volume buttons.
I've learned to steady my hand by placing some fingers on the outer edge of the screen before attempting to touch anything on the screen.
Yes, it's annoying if you've come from an easier to use full of buttons car, but as humans we adapt to survive, don't we?
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Nacaduct wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:50 pm

People will complain about anything, and if you watched the reviews for the Born, every damn reviewer felt the need to nag about the touch buttons on the wheel. Almost started getting comical. Also, everything was always better before, LP’s before CD’s, books before TV’s, horses before cars…

Thos people obviously don’t know how to hold a steering wheel correctly - it’s supposed to be 10:10, not 9:15;)
A couple of observations:

Steering wheels used to have three spokes, so 10 to 2 hand position made sense because there were spokes there. Modern cars often only have two spokes so 9:15 makes sense
So now you are the one supporting "the good old days" and you are sadly out of date. The current recommendation is in fact 9:15 see here: https://driving-tests.org/beginner-driv ... ing-wheel/
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

For me it's just another small tweak in adapting to a different car. Not a big deal.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
jayc

Post by jayc »

Thanks all. I do think I hold the wheel 9-15, hopefully can adapt if I decide on the Born
Splitpin

Post by Splitpin »

I see in the motoring press that VW will be going back to proper buttons on the steering wheel next year on some models like the Tiguan and possibly the id3 which might also mean the Born. I guess that I bought mine too soon. At least they have listened to all the moans but not soon enough !