Retrofitting parking assist

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Mine definitely doesn’t have that grill camera. You might be able to turn on the feature with ODB as people have been able to activate travel assist even on cars that didn’t have all the hardware (no capacitive steering wheel). I bet someone will work out the codes to turn on park assist.

VAG do intend to sell software upgrades to turn on features in the infotainment store though, so you should be able to get it when they implement that as you have all the hardware.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:40 pm Mine definitely doesn’t have that grill camera. You might be able to turn on the feature with ODB as people have been able to activate travel assist even on cars that didn’t have all the hardware (no capacitive steering wheel). I bet someone will work out the codes to turn on park assist.

VAG do intend to sell software upgrades to turn on features in the infotainment store though, so you should be able to get it when they implement that as you have all the hardware.
Unless you're retrofitting those parking sensors on the wheel arches, you will not be able to get park assist working. It will have no way of determining distance between your car and the car you're alongside, looking to parallel park behind, to determine steering angles and distances. If by some miracle you could get the car to think it had everything it needed to do self parking, it would wreck your car trying.

I have it on mine - used it twice as a novelty.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TheBornIDentity

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:17 pm
TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:40 pm Mine definitely doesn’t have that grill camera. You might be able to turn on the feature with ODB as people have been able to activate travel assist even on cars that didn’t have all the hardware (no capacitive steering wheel). I bet someone will work out the codes to turn on park assist.

Unless you're retrofitting those parking sensors on the wheel arches, you will not be able to get park assist working. It will have no way of determining distance between your car and the car you're alongside, looking to parallel park behind, to determine steering angles and distances. If by some miracle you could get the car to think it had everything it needed to do self parking, it would wreck your car trying.

I have it on mine - used it twice as a novelty.
The OP said his/her car has the side sensors though I think. Obviously it would be a disaster if it didn’t have all the hardware.

I’ve not used it much on mine. It’s remarkably good at parallel parking, fairly good at reverse parking between parked cars and terrible at reverse parking with no cars to go between. I’d use it more on mine if it didn’t take so long. You have to crawl for it to find somewhere and it does faff about a lot when it has. It’s still kind of cool though and no doubt great if you’re not good at parking!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I think the OP was confused by the front camera. No L-tech = no side sensors.

Yes, it's a bit slow, but also wants to park you a foot off the bumper of the car you end up behind when parked, rather than splitting the difference between the 2 cars you parked between on a parallel park.

TheBornIDentity

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:40 pm I think the OP was confused by the front camera. No L-tech = no side sensors.

Yes, it's a bit slow, but also wants to park you a foot off the bumper of the car you end up behind when parked, rather than splitting the difference between the 2 cars you parked between on a parallel park.
I probably misunderstood then. Seems a bit mad that a V3 car doesn’t have all the kit. Normally cars are specced so you can only have everything if you have a top-end trim. It’s a bit weird VAG would allow an entry level spec car to have something a top spec car doesn’t have; especially considering their (poorly executed) attempt to turn cars into a software product like Tesla.

I wanted travel assist on my ID3 but it was a £1500 option on the life that was included on the family.
Rerb

Post by Rerb »

I do have all the parking sensors, but there's no option on infotainment, maybe it can be switched on via coding.
My keys that came with car are also have a code tag & description below the key code as Kessy, but car doesn't have this option either as door handles have no indents or sensors/leds & are standard items with no keyless entry.
It would be interesting what modules we have in our cars & what they are capable of.
V3, Aurora Blue, Beats Audio, Glass Roof
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rerb wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:12 am I do have all the parking sensors, but there's no option on infotainment, maybe it can be switched on via coding.
My keys that came with car are also have a code tag & description below the key code as Kessy, but car doesn't have this option either as door handles have no indents or sensors/leds & are standard items with no keyless entry.
It would be interesting what modules we have in our cars & what they are capable of.
How sure are you that you have all of the sensors?

If you have the hardware for self park, your front and back bumpers will have 6 sensors each - 4 facing forward and one each on the wheel arches. If you don't have the L-tech pack, it's unlikely you'll have the wheel arch sensors. V3s don't get these sensors unless you have the L-tech pack or another park pilot pack. The only exception to this would be if Cupra ran out of normal bumpers when they built yours and gave you the sensor fitted bumpers (which may or may not be connected). Best way to be sure would to post a pic of your wheel arches.

20221014_110632.jpg

20221014_110638.jpg

Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rerb

Post by Rerb »

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below. You may also attach files by dragging and dropping them in the message box.

20221014_114547.jpg

20221014_114528.jpg

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

When you park and get close to objects do the side sensors work, other than that it’s just coding as all borns have the motor steering rack.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
Rerb

Post by Rerb »

Hi Betty
Unfortunately I do not have enough sensors in my bumpers for auto park, not willing to modify car to add this option.
I am only being greedy as I wanted all the optional extras, but at the time I opted for a cancelled order & it has beats audio & glass roof.
I was hoping that I could add more options without modifying car too much as I don't wish to invalidate warranty etc