New Bloke, with little idea

New to the CUPRA Born Forums? Introduce yourself here
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

So I’ve driven a number of EV’s recently and as a petrolhead (Caterham, Lotus, Ford RS, Mustang, Manta 400, McLaren, etc) I’ve seen the reason to change but no EV ticked any of the required boxes.

Hated Teslas with a passion, liked the Taycan, but not enough to pay so much, the best EV for me was the BMW i3 by a mile, got solar and 3 phase and BMW lent me the car for 4 days and I started with 178 mile range and did 241miles before returning it with 67 miles range without charging left by careful regen all the time and without charging. Proving an EV was the most economical and the best option, but boring.

At the Silverstone Classic I wondered onto the Cupra stand and saw the Born, liked what I saw, so I test drove one.

The dealer had a test route, boring, boring, boring. So made up my own route which included fast twisting A roads and some good straights.

Ladies and Gentlemen I’m converted. Forget EV or not this car has a sole. RWD, stiff(ish) suspension point and squirt and it flys. Sneaked onto the Porsche track at Silverstone (it’s not what you know) and gave it the beans, you can make the back end break away, but you won’t on the road unless your insane.

Ordered a V3 77kwh today, can’t wait.

pandamoanium

Post by pandamoanium »

Great write up! Glad you have chosen the right car and hopefully you get it soon.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Glacial White
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Same car as wife ordered and with the wider wheels with Michelin Pilot EV tyres. I am looking at the RWD BMW i4.
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
Ianb3101

Post by Ianb3101 »

I feel the exact same. I'd go as far as saying this is the most underestimated car at the moment. I love the sound of a proper engine, love the pops and bangs, an EV doesn't have that, but it has something different. It's relaxing when you want it to be, it's fast (enough) when you want it to be. It's the future and I'm liking it 😁
Cupra Born | Glacial White | 20" Electra
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I find pops, bangs and engine note to be subjective - love it on my mate's RS3, but being followed by an old Fiesta ST yesterday with an annoying drone and very forced pops and bangs, I just felt embarrassed for the lad driving it! :lol:

Left it for dead entering the coast road from 20-75mph, and it was trying hard. Then it sat behind me for 6 miles, 6 feet off my back bumper, but it had no opportunity to overtake and I had no opportunity to pull in and let it by without inconveniencing myself, as the cars in front of me were going nowhere.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565