EV Home Charging costs vs Petrol Costs!!!

All CUPRA Born related discussions
Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

Is anyone else concerned about this rise in energy prices after buying a Cupra Born. I wonder where we stand now and the potential of more rising costs against a mechanical car.

Very concerning ATM.
Cupra Born | V1 | Tech L Pack | Greyser Silver | Newcastle (North East|

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Benjo88 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 pm Is anyone else concerned about this rise in energy prices after buying a Cupra Born. I wonder where we stand now and the potential of more rising costs against a mechanical car.

Very concerning ATM.
I'm concerned about the rising cost of energy especially for my kids who have relatively big mortgages. I'm in my 70s and see the economy similar to how it was in the early 80s. Mortgage rates hitting 17% then and I had to take a second job to make ends meet. I don't think the Government realises what a massive impact energy costs will have on the UK economy.
I bought an EV primarily to reduce emissions but with Octopus Go it turns out that my monthly fuel cost for the car is a fraction of what it was with an ICE. This will sound very negative but I think the relative running costs of EVs and ICE are the least of our worries.
Heating for schools and Hospitals, pubs, restaurants and small businesses closing with unsustainable losses. The outlook is very bleak with circumstances accross the globe with wars and post pandemic energy shortages providing the perfect storm.
You just have to ride it out.
A positive is my Born is the best all round car I have ever had and I will do my best to enjoy it despite the outlook.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If I were spending the same money again and had no access to Octopus GO , I'd have almost certainly bought an Audi S3 instead.

I think EV take up for those spending their own money rather than getting a company car is going to seriously slow down until the energy prices are sorted out. EV ownership was never convenient to those without access to a home charger, and now its expensive too. Current electricity price capping is now on par with a 53mpg diesel. A mate of mine has an S3 with 7 speed DSG and it'll do an easy 45mpg sat at 70mph on the motorway. Outusing rapid chargers, the cost may get even higher. I used Gridserve the other week at 50p per kWh, and that was before the current price cap which will probably prompt another price increase.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
un_born

Post by un_born »

When we decided to go EV in Jan 2022 , the decision was made upon:

1. No congestion charge for London (until Dec 2025)
2. Stupidly Cheap parking in Westminster
3. Super Low BIK tax
4. Low cost per mile

Luckily for us, even with the expected cost of electricity to sky rocket, financially the Born still makes sense for us, even though we sometimes don't even go into central once in a week. For someone who doesn't need the central london perks, a Hybrid of some description makes much more financial sense.

here is a chart I made that shows equivalent MPG when comparing electricity costs and fuel costs.

Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

It’s an interesting discussion.
I got lucky with an impulse decision to buy the Born from stock with only a quick check on financials to make sure the sums worked. They did, and still do - but only thanks to locking in to the EDF go electric tariff immediately on purchase. I say lucky because it wasn’t available just a week or so later. So we will be paying 4.5p per kWh for 5 hrs a night (or 20p all night every night and all w/end should we so choose, can switch at will) and the rest of our electric use is fixed well below price cap levels for 2 years. Our useage is relatively high (c.18-20k a year) and the vast majority of charging will be at home - so well suited to maximise benefit.
That generates at least a £3k per year saving for us which offsets the increased purchase cost over an ICE equivalent. And that will increase if you include the rest our electric useage in the house being fixed at rate below the cap.
If that wasn’t available to us, and I see that the Octopus offering has also been pulled for the time being although thats only a 12mth fix, then the sums wouldn’t justify the purchase.
That said, financials is only 1 reason to buy an EV albeit a big one - I really like the car and the driving experience and then there is the (often argued) environmental benefit.
I am hopeful (aren’t we all) that electric prices drop back to more normal levels within 2 years, there is every reason to think they will, but in the interim I do agree that ev sales are likely to be hit. they make non sense now for anyone charging away from home regularly. Be interesting to see if the government do anything to address.
Benjo88

Post by Benjo88 »

Some great feedback above from all, cery interesting. I currently can’t find an EV tarrif with energy companies. Although when looking into one, i noticed that (although off peak timings / costing was extremely low) the peak charge were quite high, higher than the standArd charge (obviously Oct price increase has gone up again) so i’m assuming EV Tarrifs will go up even more.
Cupra Born | V1 | Tech L Pack | Greyser Silver | Newcastle (North East|
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Which report comparison of costs of EV and petrol

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and ... f4g1o7JzXj
Born 77 kw. V3. DCC Beats Heat Pump Firestorm
TheBornIDentity

Post by TheBornIDentity »

Benjo88 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:54 am Some great feedback above from all, cery interesting. I currently can’t find an EV tarrif with energy companies. Although when looking into one, i noticed that (although off peak timings / costing was extremely low) the peak charge were quite high, higher than the standArd charge (obviously Oct price increase has gone up again) so i’m assuming EV Tarrifs will go up even more.
It’s only really Octopus and EDF doing them and neither will let you sign up to one unless you’re an existing customer with the right smart meter that can send readings ever 30 mins.

If you are going to be using in the region of 50% domestic / 50% EV (or more for your EV) for your electricity use then it’s definitely worth looking at switching to Octopus for a standard tariff to get the ball rolling. Especially if you have other usage you can move to overnight like washing machines and dishwasher when you switch to an EV tariff later.

If you were with Octopus right now you could fix for a year at 40p / 7.5p which is pretty good considering the cap is going to 52p in a month. My crystal ball says that that tariff will change to more like 62p though soon :(
un_born

Post by un_born »

TheBornIDentity wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Benjo88 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:54 am Some great feedback above from all, cery interesting. I currently can’t find an EV tarrif with energy companies. Although when looking into one, i noticed that (although off peak timings / costing was extremely low) the peak charge were quite high, higher than the standArd charge (obviously Oct price increase has gone up again) so i’m assuming EV Tarrifs will go up even more.
It’s only really Octopus and EDF doing them and neither will let you sign up to one unless you’re an existing customer with the right smart meter that can send readings ever 30 mins.

If you are going to be using in the region of 50% domestic / 50% EV (or more for your EV) for your electricity use then it’s definitely worth looking at switching to Octopus for a standard tariff to get the ball rolling. Especially if you have other usage you can move to overnight like washing machines and dishwasher when you switch to an EV tariff later.

If you were with Octopus right now you could fix for a year at 40p / 7.5p which is pretty good considering the cap is going to 52p in a month. My crystal ball says that that tariff will change to more like 62p though soon :(

Problem is, no provider is taking on new customers at the moment. All are saying just to stay put with your current provider. If you know of any provider who is taking new customers who have an EV tariff, I'm all ears!
alex1337

Post by alex1337 »

You can still join Octopus Go. I'm just trying to work out if it's worth it. I won't need to charge my car every day.
Born V2 Vapour Grey