Charging cable provided.

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Just found out today that the charging cable provided is three-phase 20A. The reason I realized it is because I was getting slow charge speed (4.4kW on a 7.4kW charger). To get that speed, I’d need a single-phase 32A cable.
Does everyone else also get these cables or are there anyone perhaps getting someting else with the car?

E76E0382-6624-4C9D-8707-FFA0EDC62CBC.jpeg

Cupra Born since ‘22

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

6BD9F2E5-DDFE-4CA8-9FF8-D1785B49C229.jpeg

Mine is 32 Amp
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Vapour Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mine is also 32A - Nacaduct, is yours a UK market car, or are you elsewhere, where 3 phase domestic supply isn't uncommon? If you're in the UK, I would be asking the dealership for a swap to the 32A unit.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Hey,

I am in Sweden, and suppose three-phase is somewhat common, hence the 20 A (which would render 11 kW).
Interesting, though, that you guys get the 32 A on three-phase. Wonder why not all countries get that. Cost savings?
Cupra Born since ‘22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nacaduct wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:25 am Hey,

I am in Sweden, and suppose three-phase is somewhat common, hence the 20 A (which would render 11 kW).
Interesting, though, that you guys get the 32 A on three-phase. Wonder why not all countries get that. Cost savings?
We get the 32A cable because 3 phase in a domestic environment is extremely rare in the UK. Most house are supplied single phase with 60 or 100A total rating.

Presumably its quite common for 3 phase house supply in Sweden?
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

Yes, I believe it is more common here than in the UK. However, if you look at the pic Betty W provided, the cable is 32 A 480 V which would mean it would theoretically provide 22kW which would be overkill for you guys. So why does Cupra UK provide such a cable, when Cupra SE does not? Oh, well, guess I will have to ask…
Cupra Born since ‘22
jipibi92

Post by jipibi92 »

Hello, same problem for me here in France with my new 74KW Born (received in late september 2023)
the original cable provided was a yellow 20A MENNEKES:
>>With such a cable, the maximum charging speed at home was 3,4KWh, on my 7,4KWh monophase EVBox !
My Cupra agent was unable to understand the cause of the problem (!) untill I urge him to give me a 32A MENNEKES 3-phases cable...
>>With this new cable, my charge speed at home is now 7.1 KWh, as it shoud be...
So , we must insist heavily toward our CUPRA agents to get the correct 32A cable !
sept 2023 dark grey Born 170kW with 77kWh battery - Paris France
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

32amp cables are normally supplied in the UK, but they will only run at 7kw on a single phase circuit.

On a 3 phase circuit you’ll charge at 11kw, not 22kw as the Borns on board charger will not run more than 11kw on a/c

ALL UK properties can run 3phase, but you have to contact you local DNO who will arrange it (there will be 3 phases in your street) in most cases they do so f.o.c. But be aware they will not be able to provide 3phase to every house in the street, I own 2 houses in a street of 14 homes, I had both upgraded to 3 phase and the DNO (western power) said they would only do 1 more, so we fitted 22kw chargers to both houses, it doesn’t make that much difference with the Born, but the Zoe has a 22kw on board charger so charges 3 times faster than a standard 7kw.

Best advise for the UK is to get your DNO to install 3phase NOW wether you need it or not, as EV’s become more common and batteries have more capacity faster home chargers will become more desirable, this is already the case in some areas such as London.

It also allows you to run a much better air or ground source heat pump.
whathappened?

Post by whathappened? »

Boris7 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:54 am 32amp cables are normally supplied in the UK, but they will only run at 7kw on a single phase circuit.

On a 3 phase circuit you’ll charge at 11kw, not 22kw as the Borns on board charger will not run more than 11kw on a/c

ALL UK properties can run 3phase, but you have to contact you local DNO who will arrange it (there will be 3 phases in your street) in most cases they do so f.o.c. But be aware they will not be able to provide 3phase to every house in the street, I own 2 houses in a street of 14 homes, I had both upgraded to 3 phase and the DNO (western power) said they would only do 1 more, so we fitted 22kw chargers to both houses, it doesn’t make that much difference with the Born, but the Zoe has a 22kw on board charger so charges 3 times faster than a standard 7kw.

Best advise for the UK is to get your DNO to install 3phase NOW wether you need it or not, as EV’s become more common and batteries have more capacity faster home chargers will become more desirable, this is already the case in some areas such as London.

It also allows you to run a much better air or ground source heat pump.
A quick lookup at the cost of upgrading costs a small fortune? How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

I was looking into this for my property but with the Born only doing 11kw it wouldn't make any difference really for the time being - My cheap rate runs for 7hours overnight which is enough for a full charge anyways.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

£0 actually, I know that sounds like b****x but it’s true, I was having a garage built and the builder hit the mains cable (which was annoying as we spent days finding it only to find we had 2 due to the houses being looped) Western Power distribution came out and fixed it, during a conversation about the garage and plans for an EV the guy mentioned we could get 3 phase free.

I thought he was talking rubbish, but he gave me a name and number, I called and the next day an extremely good looking lady came out and confirmed they would put 3 phase in f.o.c. So we had both done.

The faff was getting Octopus to supply the 3 phase meter, that took 5 months, had to threaten to leave Octopus in the end.