Puncture - Anyone know if Repairable?

All CUPRA Born related discussions
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Car has 800 miles on clock, and this happens!.

At least car told me..

Repairable?

IMG_20220817_154344.jpg

Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Borderline, but probably. Take it out and see if the self sealing does irs intended job - you have a V2 with 19" wheels, so it'll be self sealing. If all the air escapes, the ohncture is probably not repairable as the gunk layer is only in the area that would normally be vonsideed repairable.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Yep, it is a V2 with 215/50 R19 tyres.

It is fitted with Conti Eco Contact 6 tyres, which I believe contain the Conti Seal gunk..

The car warned me that right rear tyre was low on pressure, and sure enough it had dropped from 36 psi to 26 psi..

Car is going to dealers on Friday to have a small snag fixed, so they said to leave it and they would take a look.

If they can fix it then great, but if not I will take it a tyre place if the dealer wants stupid money for a new tyre.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SilverCupra wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:43 pm Yep, it is a V2 with 215/50 R19 tyres.

It is fitted with Conti Eco Contact 6 tyres, which I believe contain the Conti Seal gunk..

The car warned me that right rear tyre was low on pressure, and sure enough it had dropped from 36 psi to 26 psi..

Car is going to dealers on Friday to have a small snag fixed, so they said to leave it and they would take a look.

If they can fix it then great, but if not I will take it a tyre place if the dealer wants stupid money for a new tyre.
Thee are a few people with ID3s on the same tyres, where they've removed the screw and the tyre has held air pressure thereafter. It's acert the dealer will be looking to sell you a new tyre.

Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Looks too close top the sidewall to be safely fixable to me. With a 215 tyre you’ve got 153mm in total, aligned to the centre line of the tyre to play with for a fix. That looks too far out in the pic.
My understanding is that self sealing tyres only provide a temporary get me home type solution, not a permanent fix. So, whether its holding pressure or not, you need either a repair if it’s in the right parameters, or a new tyre. My money is on the later, but the tyres and the car system has done its job in telling you there’s a problem and getting you home safely.
UniqueUser1

Post by UniqueUser1 »

SilverCupra wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:43 pm Yep, it is a V2 with 215/50 R19 tyres.

Out of curiosity what’s the small snag that’s getting fixed?
Cupra Born V2 | Geyser Silver | Tech L Pack
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

I don't think I would be comfortable with a repair that close to the sidewall especially if you're losing pressure. Over the years I've had at least three similar situations on ordinary tyres and they have not been deemed repairable. In fact since the tyres had several thousand miles on them it has meant two replacements.
I assume you don't have wheel & tyre insurance, but if they've only done 800 miles, you can at least get away with a single replacement.
Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I just had an almost identical puncture to the OP's photo. I got my alert on the way home after parking at Newcastle RVI's multistorey car park yesterday - I could hear it hissing, unscrewed it, the air fully evacuated over 5 mins. Seems obvious to me then that these self sealing tyres are only fit for purpose half the time, and you do really need a bottle of gunk to keep you from being stranded at the roadside.

I'm buying a bottle of Holt's tyreweld today to keep the tyre inflated enough to get me to the local branch of Halfords for a new tyre, being fitted tomorrow.

There are very few places that had a replacement Conti Ecocontact 6 tyre, and the cheapest was Halfords at £175 fitted. I joined their free motorists club to get a fiver off that. The alternatives looked to be Goodyear Efficient Grip at about £146 a piece fully fitted, but i'd have been after 2 of those.

Mine was a partial screw, with a bent and snapped end - not sure at this stage whether the remainder of the screw is snapped off inside, or if it was only a partial that punctured the tyre.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Seeing my completely flat tyre, I'm amazed how thin the tyre actually looks.

The last punctures I had on Golfs, the tyre looked a lot thicker when flat. Presumably its a weight saving thing, but might also make the tyre easier to penetrate the tyre.

SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

SilverCupra wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:23 pm Repairable?

Well, the answer was no, I needed a new tyre..

I called round a few tyre places and could have got one for £159 fitted, but as the car was at the dealers and they said £172 fitted, I got them to do it.

Interested on the comment above, about the tyres being quite thin, maybe punctures are going to be a thing with the Born, really hope not :-(