Rear USB ports

All CUPRA Born related discussions
RG22

Post by RG22 »

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and my 58kw Guasar Grey V3 Born is due early September. Could someone who already has one please confirm if the rear USB ports power off/on with the ignition. As it's a lease car I don't want to risk patching in from the fuse box but I thought I could use one of the rear ports and run the cablr under the seat and under the side trim to the windscreen. I rarely carry people in the back, so using one port permanently is not a problem. If they do power off/on I will order a 5mtr cable in advance, so I can install it before I drive it. Thanks!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

What are you looking to power with the cable? If you're talking dashcam, then you'd be far better off using fuse taps on a hard wired option- easier to remove when you return the car.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
RG22

Post by RG22 »

Hi. Yes, dashcam. I just wanted to avoid tapping into the fuse box if at all possible. Are you able to confirm if they power off/on with the ignition at all please?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RG22 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:12 pm Hi. Yes, dashcam. I just wanted to avoid tapping into the fuse box if at all possible. Are you able to confirm if they power off/on with the ignition at all please?
My dashcam has a permanent live and a switched live, as it has parking monitoring. I tapped into the 12V cigarette lighter fuse (switched) and door controllers (unswitched). Fuse tappers are tidier than your proposed method. You plug the original fuse into the fuse tapper and the fuse tapper into the slots the original fuse went, which leaves you with a wire to connect your dashcam wire to attach to. See example below from my old Polo GTI.

20200506_161458.jpg

2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565