B or D?

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Daveion wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm
I have heard that many times but without a device how would you know what a quarter of G is?
I prefere D but you can one pedal drive in B in a busy town or in stop start traffic.
It doesn't really matter that you can't measure it:

In D mode, you press the brake pedal when you need to slow down and it regens to 0.25G and uses the brakes thereafter above 0.25G.

In B mode, the car slows by up to 0.25G effort needed by regen, and if it's not enough, you then have to start using the brake pedal too, to go beyond it.

Either way, if you need less than 0.25G, the regen will take care of it, whether you instigate it by coming off the accelerator or use the brake pedal, and either method need the brake pedal beyond 0.35G requirements.

Having the car feel like you left the handbrake on just feels crap to me. I want to come off the accelerator down a slight hill to maintain speed or on the approach to a roundabout, then brake when I need to.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:04 pm
Daveion wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm
I have heard that many times but without a device how would you know what a quarter of G is?
I prefere D but you can one pedal drive in B in a busy town or in stop start traffic.
It doesn't really matter that you can't measure it:

In D mode, you press the brake pedal when you need to slow down and it regens to 0.25G and uses the brakes thereafter above 0.25G.

In B mode, the car slows by up to 0.25G effort needed by regen, and if it's not enough, you then have to start using the brake pedal too, to go beyond it.

Either way, if you need less than 0.25G, the regen will take care of it, whether you instigate it by coming off the accelerator or use the brake pedal, and either method need the brake pedal beyond 0.35G requirements.

Having the car feel like you left the handbrake on just feels crap to me. I want to come off the accelerator down a slight hill to maintain speed or on the approach to a roundabout, then brake when I need to.
I can see the point you are making but if you want to drive in D and emulate B in a OPD and its 1/4 G limitation you dont know if you are applying mechanical braking. Maybe I'm expecting too much to be able to do that.
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
Fguilla3

Post by Fguilla3 »

I'm coming from an ID 3 and was always using B mode.
It was quite fitting for me
Doing the same in the Born and do not see much difference.

Hovewer, I do not really see people giving technical reasons to do so regarding a road profile or other, but more talking about driving habits.
Is there technical suggestions about that?
Boxed-in

Post by Boxed-in »

I’m definitely a B person, not quite one pedal driving, but only use the brake to stop and to engage the hill start / hill stop modes.

👍
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Fguilla3 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:23 am I'm coming from an ID 3 and was always using B mode.
It was quite fitting for me
Doing the same in the Born and do not see much difference.

Hovewer, I do not really see people giving technical reasons to do so regarding a road profile or other, but more talking about driving habits.
Is there technical suggestions about that?
You're right the discussion on B or D is always personal preference. Technically I guess there would be different scenarios where one offers advantages over the other but maybe so marginal it just boils down to preference in the end.
After 30 months of ID3 and Born I still flit between them. I like a near one pedal drive in traffic in B and gliding along a winding road in D.
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
daern

Post by daern »

B only and it feels odd when I forget and leave it in D, and the car doesn't slow itself effectively.
Boris7

Post by Boris7 »

B Always unless on a motorway.

My reason is simply that I want to get the most range all the time as so far I’m over 2,000 miles and have only ever charged free using excess solar at home (it’s been close a few times)

I still drive in a spirited fashion, the brake effect in B mode is great for fast country road driving but when I have to go to central London I have to be mindful as I never charge over 80% and getting home is sometimes a little on the edge.
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

I enjoy D more in general, especially if I feel like a spirited drive, however I always use B for town/city driving as it really helps with the stop start nature of those situations. I also use B for wet/icy conditions as it feels more controlled.
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I always use B. It's so much more relaxing, especially when driving downhill. No more having to dance between the accelerator and brake pedal to maintain the desired speed. I actually wish it were possible to have even more regen to allow full one pedal driving in city or start stop traffic.

I've seen different views on whether B is more economical than D, but in theory there should be no difference, assuming you drive in the same style. ie, if you brake in D where you would be lifting off in B, then the regen happens either way.

I also sometimes drive an ICE car and it's a bit of a shock the first time you lift off and nothing happens 😄 but you very quickly get used to it, I have no issues switching.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

mluisbrown wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:38 am I always use B. It's so much more relaxing, especially when driving downhill. No more having to dance between the accelerator and brake pedal to maintain the desired speed. I actually wish it were possible to have even more regen to allow full one pedal driving in city or start stop traffic.

I've seen different views on whether B is more economical than D, but in theory there should be no difference, assuming you drive in the same style. ie, if you brake in D where you would be lifting off in B, then the regen happens either way.

I also sometimes drive an ICE car and it's a bit of a shock the first time you lift off and nothing happens 😄 but you very quickly get used to it, I have no issues switching.
My car maintains downhill speed in B and D.
As I enter the downhill section of a road at a constant speed / constant throttle position the car does not increase in speed and I see the car is regen braking a little to maintain the speed I entered at. I drive with ECO assist ON and wondered whether that is why it doesn't speed up!
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE