Door sill plates

All CUPRA Born related discussions
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

On my last few cars I have added door sill plates to minimise damage from feet being dragged across the sill edge. The best ones I have found are made by Lockwood International in Leeds. Partly because of the high quality of the plates but also because they extend down over the sill edge where most damage occurs. And they look really great.

I contacted them about plates for the Cupra Born and although they don't make them yet, they are willing to develop them for the car if they can get a sample to work from. Unfortunately, I don't have my car yet and they are about 100 miles away from me so I can't help

However if someone in the Leeds area is willing to take their car along to the industrial unit Lockwood will make up a sample while they wait and will fit them for free. Normal cost is around £35 to £38.

If anyone wants to take them up on their offer, their web site info is here: https://lockwoodinternational.co.uk/

Note that I have no connection with the company except as a repeat customer.

Here is a photo of the set on my existing car, passenger side. Note that the Lockwood set is the two plates outside the door seal. The one inside the door seal is a standard VW fitting. The full set is two plates for each of the four doors.

Lockwood door sills.jpg

Born V3, Aurora Blue, Tech (M) pack, Firestorm wheels, Pano roof
Ordered 21 June, 2022, delivered 17 Jan 2023

Rerb

Post by Rerb »

Cheap & chatty I know but I've already had to polish one scuff out!

20230218_115908.jpg

20230218_115915.jpg

V3, Aurora Blue, Beats Audio, Glass Roof
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Thanks for that but, yeah, the cheap ones would be rubber-ducked pretty quickly, which is why I want to get the stainless steel ones. Looks like nobody in the Leeds area has any interest, although I expect that the ID.3 door sills are identical. Oh well.
Koimaster

Post by Koimaster »

Hi, Have you had any luck sourcing these
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Koimaster wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:20 pm Hi, Have you had any luck sourcing these
Sadly, no. I haven't been able to find anything of the same quality.
I'm still hoping that someone in the Leeds area with a Born (or maybe an ID.3) will notice this, book themselves into Lockwood and get a set made. Then we could order them.
I don't really want to do a 200-odd-mile round trip myself.
Colin1517

Post by Colin1517 »

Just seen these on t’ebay. Haven’t bought any so can’t vouch for fit or quality. The listing says out of stock atm, but might be worth a message

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185490259519 ... media=COPY
alanjs

Post by alanjs »

Colin1517 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:43 pm Just seen these on t’ebay. Haven’t bought any so can’t vouch for fit or quality. The listing says out of stock atm, but might be worth a message

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185490259519 ... media=COPY
They look interesting, but it's not clear if they extend over the edge of the sill - that's where most of the damage occurs. If you look at the Lockwood ones on the first pic, they have a lip that extends over the edge and they also have an additional piece to cover the top of the lower sill. I know they're more expensive but you only have to buy them once!