Dash cam install in minutes

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

Hi
I installed my dash cam on day one. Fitted cable edge of roof lining (carefully with PLASTIC interior removal tool). Then down door rubber seal to dash. Fuse box in glove box on UK cars, cover on left side pull from top carefully as its held in with push studs. Remove air bag switch cover with trim removal tool starting at the top, also held in with push studs. DO NOT un-clip the air bag switch or your car will light the airbag fault light on instrument cluster. I did but reset mine using VCDS / VAG com.
Workshop manual available on ebay and you get a drop box link if needed? Remove small trim next to air bag switch trim cover. Undo 13mm bolt to get a ground connection then re-tighten. Remove 20A yellow fuse and insert in dash cam wiring adapter and reinstall in original position (take a picture before removing fuse with pliers). Reassemble trims carefully as they are thin.
Would pictures b of help as I did take some if anyone is interested?

SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Interesting, thanks..

Pictures would be great.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

Pics

Wiring in dash behind air bag switch cover.JPG

Trim removed after removing airbag switch cover.JPG

Fuse box with dash wiring plugged in where 20A fuse was as well as 20A fuse plugged into dash power plug.JPG

Fuse box in glove box UK car.JPG

SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Really useful pictures, Thanks..

Looks very similar to what I did on my previous VW.

Not really sure what to do in the Cupra, but these pictures help, so am tempted to do similar.

Thanks
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver
WelshCupraB

Post by WelshCupraB »

Its quite easy but DO NOT disconnect the air bag switch !!!!!!!!!!!!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I hope to be fitting my Thinkware F770 front and back dashcams in my 2 old bangers this weekend (they've been in a few other VWs previously).

I'll aim to take some pics, especially of the rear camera installation.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

One set down.(my car), one to do another day. Everything working as it should, it's just not a quick job to determine where your permanent live fuses are to piggyback to if you've got parking monitoring.

The downloadable Born manual lists fuses and what they're for, but that's pretty useless if there's no diagram to show you where fuses X is in the fuse box. In the end, I picked the 12V plug socket as the switched live and stumbled upon the fuse that foes the electric wing mirror folding and central locking for my permanent live.

Other than 2 fuse taps, the installation was as described/photographed previously (taking care to tuck wiring behind airbags on the A pillar of the passenger side.

I stuck my dashcam to the top of the windscreen on the passenger side, so I can barely see any of it from my driving position. The feed cable for the rear camera was fed across the front roof lining to the drivers side, then carried on tucking the cable into the headlining to the pull off trim panel at the boot lid opening *tucking cabling behind B pillar curtain airbag.

I also pulled the capping trim off the top of the tailgate, and with the help of an unfurled wire coat hanger, I taped the rear camera plug to the end of it and fed it through the drivers side wiring trunking feed to the tailgate (lots of room in there to pass the plug through.

I selected my position towards the top of the rear screen,between the deicing wire tracks, stuck the camera on and then coiled up the slack and tucked it away before refitting the 2 trims.

There's a lot of spring clips on those 2 trim pieces, so if you misalign and bend one, or one gets stuck in the slot on the bodywork rather than the trim fixing point, needle nosed pliers come in handy.

It took me a few goes to get them clipped in properly and I had to straighten a clip with my needle nosed pliers.

20220716_102217.jpg

20220716_101735.jpg

20220716_101259.jpg

20220716_101249.jpg

Colin1517

Post by Colin1517 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is that 20 amp yellow fuse a permanent live or an ignition switched live? I need to wire my dash cam in but only want it live on start up.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Looks like he's only got one live wire from those photos, so it'll be a switched live. I take it you have both, because you have a monitoring function that requires a permanent live? If so, for permanent live, feed into the central locking fuse, or the 12v plug fuse, with the fuse set into its permanently live position (it is a 3 slot fuse position, taking either slots 1 and 2, or 2 and 3 - can't remember which way around it goes, but will be set to switched live by default). If you do use tge 12v socket in the alternate position as your permanent live, you'll have to find an alternative switched live fuse (most of them are switched live).

Colin1517

Post by Colin1517 »

Thanks for the reply. My camera only needs one switched live feed, the onboard camera battery keeps it running for 30 minutes after park. 👍