Steering Wheel Buttons

All CUPRA Born related discussions
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Hi all,

You may have seen in the introductions section that I collected my car yesterday.

So far so good, really pleased, drives superbly..

Only thing that I find annoying are the steering wheel buttons, they simply don't work half the time.

I long to have the proper buttons like on my previous VW back.

Turning up/down the radio is really difficult, a simple job that should be easy!

Any find the same or got any tips?
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-L | Geysor Silver

KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

No, they are pretty annoying. I’m hoping someone finds a compatible retrofit for ‘real’ buttons.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have actually adjusted to them. Took a time in the ID3 but the controls on the bigger screen in the Born seem easier. Especially so with the volume control. I think you will get used to it.
My own bugbear is the REAR windows selecting them by accident when you want to operate the front. Grrr
Born V2-Tech L collected June 22
BMW Z4 e89 sDrive30i Highline
BMW Z4 e85 3.0i SE
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

On my test drive, the volume buttons confused the hell out of me until I accidentally realised they don't work like the ID3s (which press up and down) - you have to sweep down to up and vice versa in one fluid motion. I've mastered it now, and the ACC speed adjustment on the left cluster of buttons works the same way. Or use the bar between the 2 AC temp bars under the main screen.

The window buttons (same as on the ID3) are just plain stupid - going 3 buttons instead of 4 so you have to faff with the third button to get the rears to go down with the front 2 buttons, or hold down longer to get all 4 windows to drop.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:33 pm On my test drive, the volume buttons confused the hell out of me until I accidentally realised they don't work like the ID3s (which press up and down) - you have to sweep down to up and vice versa in one fluid motion.

Aah, that could be it, I have just been been pressing them..

I will it a go tomorrow..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SilverCupra wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:32 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:33 pm On my test drive, the volume buttons confused the hell out of me until I accidentally realised they don't work like the ID3s (which press up and down) - you have to sweep down to up and vice versa in one fluid motion.

Aah, that could be it, I have just been been pressing them..

I will it a go tomorrow..
On the first half of my test drive I was convinced the car was buggered
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SilverCupra

Post by SilverCupra »

Blimey, big shout out to MonkeyHanger..

Yes, I can now see how they work, a thumb swipe either up and down rather than a simple press..

Seems to do the job, although not as reliable as a simple button.

I have even found it in the manual, but hey, who can take in all that stuff.

Steering Wheel.jpg

Nacaduct

Post by Nacaduct »

If I may offer a positive view of these touch buttons…

The benefit of having to slide instead of just press is, contrary to what early YouTube reviewers nagged about 110% of the time, that it is somewhat hard to change the volume/reset the ACC by mistake unless you hold the steering wheel all crazy 😝

Personally, I have zero probs with these buttons. The volume slider on the wheel is somewhat hard to get correct all the time, but since I have arms, I can just as easily tap the volume buttons on the center screen - no biggie!

The buttons mostly used by me are the ACC settings - use them all the time and they work perfectly.
Cupra Born since ‘22
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

I find myself accidentally changing the volume all the time with the steering wheel and it’s getting very annoying.

FYI, you can tap the centre volume slider (and the temp sliders) to increment, you don’t have to slide those.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
Pederb

Post by Pederb »

Yea, but you keep touching them while turning the wheel, idiotic placement, same with cruise
-2023 Cupra Born 77kW with Beats-