OBDeleven Travel Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

The plot thickens even further. In Germany, the Pilot XL option which includes the 360 degree top/area view camera and Travel Assist was only available to order from December 2021 until January 2022, but the product PDF didn't explicitly mention Trained Park Assist (TPA), aka Parking with Memory Function.

However, in the Austrian product sheet from 06/2022, they do mention the Memory Function but I don't know if it was actually available to order.

Fast forward to this week, now in Germany you can either order "Pilot XL+" that adds TPA or "Tech XL" (TPA, CAR2X & Kessy Advanced).

So it really looks like an additional option. Now there were reports in the meinid.com forum that vehicles with the Parking with Memory Function actually have a different front camera - but I think it's equally likely that TPA could become a paid option for those with compatible hardware.
Betty b wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:55 pm Quick update, I just had a look at assisted parking but it won’t accept, did find this in front assist though.
97542D22-D421-4EAB-A596-187878998A90.jpeg

JGriff

Post by JGriff »

My car has fully functioning Adaptive Cruise Control, and Lane Assist, but lacks the Lane Assist activation button (as can be seen from the photo above)

The UK owner’s manual P104 describes the multi-function button's, using an e-boost steering wheel for the illustrations.
P175 states Travel Assist combines adaptive cruise control (ACC) and the adaptive lane guidance function, and continues to say; Travel Assist uses the same sensors as Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Assist
P178 states Travel Assist automatically controls the accelerator pedal, the brakes and the steering. In addition, Travel Assist may, within its limitations, decelerate the vehicle until it stops behind another that stops and automatically starts again

My vehicle has the select ACC button, but it is the Lane Assist buttons which illuminate, if you take your hands off the steering wheel, you get two messages ‘please remain in the centre of the lane’ and ‘please take control of the steering’
With ACC engaged it does in traffic decelerate the vehicle until it stops behind another that stops and automatically starts again, and with the satellite navigation active, adjust vehicle speed for road topography.
I have the option in the driver sub menus to select ‘shaking steering wheel’ as an option to further alert the driver to lane departure.

It would appear at this stage that my vehicle therefore has all the necessary technology to fully enable Travel Assist, and I would like this to happen, but I need some clarity around the missing steering wheel button

20221114_132612.jpg

JGriff

Post by JGriff »

Traffic Assist works intermittently, as you can see from the attached images, I’m getting the warning lights for both Lane and Traffic Assist, and the system recognises the size of the vehicle in front of me 20221115_100222.jpg, on this case a lorry.
I also get (again intermittently) the bronze bars in the head up display showing the direction the road is going in

20221115_100222.jpg

20221115_100125.jpg

20221115_095800.jpg

20221115_095555.jpg

20221115_095553.jpg

20221115_095551.jpg

20221115_095453.jpg

20221115_092240.jpg

20221115_092139.jpg

davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

The car in the distance is the car in front, and the horizontal line is the target distance to keep for Adaptive cruise control. The vertical bars on the sides are white when it recognises lane markings, there are no bars when it can't see anything.

The vertical bars are yellow when Lane assist is actively intervening to keep you in the lane. Lane assist is always re-enabled every time you turn the car on, even if you disable it in the settings.

The disabled button on your steering wheel is for Travel Assist, not Lane Assist. No Cupra Borns in the UK have shipped with Travel Assist full stop. The button on the steering wheel is there just so that they don't have to make multiple panels depending on if you have Travel Assist or not, the button is just disabled in software instead.

Your car may or may not have shipped with enough hardware to enable Travel Assist through the use of an OBDEleven which is a third party tool that you plug into the OBD port of your car which allows you to code changes to modules in the car that originally came with different settings from the factory. This shouldn't affect your warranty but it is possible that a dealership could point to the modifications as a reason to deny you a warranty claim should something go wrong on the software side. the OBDEleven can also be used to make the car remember lane assist settings or even permanently disable it if that's what you like.

The manual itself is full of references to features from options that aren't even available to order in the UK (things like 360 camera, blind spot detection, etc.) to the point where it's probably relatively useless.
girarcat

Post by girarcat »

HI! Has anyone managed to replace the steering wheel with a capacitive one? Or, even better, is there any way to disable the requirement to move/touch the steering wheel every few seconds?
I'd really like to activate Travel Assist, but I'd like to do it the proper way, since I do a lot of motorway driving and I think it's an essential aid and I'd like to take full advantage of it. I was willing to pay whatever they asked for the system, but it was not on offer in my country (it is now, though, just when I've already receivend my Born)
Elea4

Post by Elea4 »

girarcat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:48 pm HI! Has anyone managed to replace the steering wheel with a capacitive one? Or, even better, is there any way to disable the requirement to move/touch the steering wheel every few seconds?
I'd really like to activate Travel Assist, but I'd like to do it the proper way, since I do a lot of motorway driving and I think it's an essential aid and I'd like to take full advantage of it. I was willing to pay whatever they asked for the system, but it was not on offer in my country (it is now, though, just when I've already receivend my Born)
I doubt that disabling the capacitive touch requirement would be possible via the typical methods eg. OBDEleven or whatnot as it appears to be an integral specification of the safety system. That said I have no easy explanation for this video which shows zero capacitive or physical steering wheel intervention:

This owner is pretty hardcore though - among other great mods, he installed OS 3.0 on his own from binaries - https://www.meinid.com/thread/950-autom ... post126721

Also, replacing the steering wheel may void your warranty. As it contains an airbag, when it comes to replacing the wheel please leave it to a professional.

Without further ado, this is the best English thread on the topic so far which includes a few Born-specific posts: https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/1346 ... ion?page=1
CupraV3

Post by CupraV3 »

Thinking of activating this today. Is there any model of the Cupra Born that has this enabled as standard or is it only available this way?

I had this on my last car (2017 TT) and really liked it. That too would tell you to put your hands on the wheel after a while of not touching it. I will admit though that I initially thought the Cupra Born lane assist was the same thing.
Cupra Born | V3 | Aurora Blue | e-Boost | 20" 'Blizzard' Wheels | Panoramic Roof | Easee One Charging Robot
girarcat

Post by girarcat »

At least in Spain, since a few weeks ago the Born can be ordered with Pilot L, including Travel Assist. Maybe it will now be possible to order the proper Eboost steering wheel with capacitive sensors via the official dealer, and have it fitted there without warranty issues?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

girarcat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:48 am At least in Spain, since a few weeks ago the Born can be ordered with Pilot L, including Travel Assist. Maybe it will now be possible to order the proper Eboost steering wheel with capacitive sensors via the official dealer, and have it fitted there without warranty issues?
Can the e-Boost variant be ordered in Spain with Pilot L, including Travel assist though?

Not all E-Boost steering wheels are capacitative - our 2 e-Boosts at home don't have a capacitative steering wheel.

I have activated Travel Assist via OBD11, it is useless without the capacitative wheel, but does light up an extra button on the steering wheel!).
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
girarcat

Post by girarcat »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm
girarcat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:48 am At least in Spain, since a few weeks ago the Born can be ordered with Pilot L, including Travel Assist. Maybe it will now be possible to order the proper Eboost steering wheel with capacitive sensors via the official dealer, and have it fitted there without warranty issues?
Can the e-Boost variant be ordered in Spain with Pilot L, including Travel assist though?

Not all E-Boost steering wheels are capacitative - our 2 e-Boosts at home don't have a capacitative steering wheel.

I have activated Travel Assist via OBD11, it is useless without the capacitative wheel, but does light up an extra button on the steering wheel!).
Yes, you can order now the Exclusive Pack Plus which includes Pilot L with Travel Assist, also with the 77kwh Eboost version, so I guess at least in the near future we should be able to order the steering wheel with the specs for this car.