Rear speakers retrofit, unlock for coding.

All CUPRA Born related discussions
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

So I bought the Kufatec rear speaker kit (https://www.kufatec.com/de/seat/born/bo ... -k11-47402) and have been watching videos and tooling up for doing the install (including the excellent info in the "Small improvements" thread here).

One small question I have about the coding: Kufatec supplies an OBD dongle for doing the coding, but it only works if the system is "unlocked". Dealers can do this, but most or all will probably be reluctant to do so, so my question is, can you unlock the system using OBDEleven? I'm assuming you can, since you set all the settings using it, just wanted to confirm.
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
2003 Audi A3 8L 1.9TDi PD 130 with 360,000kms.

mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

It looks like OBDEleven will do it. I guess I only need the "PRO VAG" plan, not the "Ultimate" one, right?
2023 Born 58kWh, Glacial White, 19" Typhoon Copper, Skyline, Blue Dinamica electric seats, Cargo, Privacy, Pilot M+, Tech M
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Confirmed. OBDEleven does "SFD" unlock: https://support.obdeleven.com/en/collec ... 195142-sfd
And it works with both the Pro and Ultimate plans.
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

If you get this installed, can you let me know if the coding works 100%. I installed my own speakers using the kufatec wiring loom and coded with OBD11, But since then the sound position faders have been borked.

I'd love to know if you could read the settings using OBD11 before and after applying the Kufa dongle and see if we can see what's changed.
Cupra Born V2 | Tech-M | Aurora Blue
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I'll let you know once I get it all fitted and coded, and I'll read the settings before also.

I spent a fair few hours today just getting the speaker and cables mounted in one door. It's definitely a much harder job than it looks. Major pain points:

1. In all the videos I watched (including a few German ones) and instructions I read, no one mentioned exactly how you're supposed to remove the plastic "grommet" type thing on the door that's attached to the bellows through which the wiring goes to the B pillar. I spent a good 2 hours struggling just with that until I worked out you have to lift up the tabs at the bottom then push out the bottom and pull the rest down.

2. The clips that hold the door card are a right PITA. About half remained in the door and then of those a few broke when I tried to pull them out. It's probably worth buying a set of spares and sacrificing the originals.

3. Inserting the female pin sockets into the wiring plug that goes into the B pillar is really hard. You need some kind of small screwdriver or similar to really push them all the way down into the socket.

Spent most of today on the job and have one door done but still not put the door card back on as I need to get some replacement clips first. Will tackle the other door when I have some more time and then finally do the wiring from the B pillars up to the control unit in the glovebox, which I think will probably be by far the easiest part.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

I finally got this all installed. It's a hell of a job.

I used OBDEleven to do the unlocking of the audio module (8125) and then used the Kufatec dongle. I didn't check exhaustively, but it looks like the only thing that changed is that Channel 1 TT and Channel 4 TT were made active. The Signal_Flow_topology didn't change and is still at 15. It's hard to say what else changed.

The sound position faders are working fine (can move it to the back where previously that wasn't possible), and the rear speakers seem to be working great.

I do see the "Implausible dataset" fault on the 8125 module as others have reported, but as long as everything seems to be working that doesn't bother me.
mluisbrown

Post by mluisbrown »

Here are screenshots of the fader controls working for front/back as well as side to side:

IMG_7507.jpeg

Here are the equaliser controls working as normal:

IMG_7508.jpeg

Here are screenshots from OBDEleven, showing that Channel 1 TT and Chanel 4 TT are Active and that Signal Flow Topology is unchanged at 15

IMG_7510.jpeg

IMG_7512.jpeg

So I don't know if the Kufatec dongle does anything else, but I'm happy that it's all working and, most importantly, my kids are happy that the car now has speakers at the rear so they can hear the music without having to turn the volume way up!
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

Thanks for the follow up. I'll go and re-check mine.

Out of interest, do you know if the kufatec dongle locks to a car once used? A friend of mine has one, but hasn't fitted the speakers yet. He offered to let me use it, but didn't want it to VIN lock or anything and him be stuck.
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

Thanks for the follow up. I've just looked atine again, and with signal flow on 15, I don't get any rear sound regardless of other settings. Did you restart the unit between reads?

Out of interest, do you know if the kufatec dongle locks to a car once used? A friend of mine has one, but hasn't fitted the speakers yet. He offered to let me use it, but didn't want it to VIN lock or anything and him be stuck.
KEV1L

Post by KEV1L »

Oh.. no idea what I just did but my fader is fixed! Thank you for prompting me to re-look at it.

EDIT: I set signal flow to '0'