Key not detected

Faults and Technical chat for the CUPRA Born
michbright

Post by michbright »

Got in the car this morning and couldn’t start it! Message says ‘key not detected’ and ‘hold key into position’. Help!
Cupra Born | V1 | Aurora Blue

michbright

Post by michbright »

So… I put the key in the right position and it still won’t start. Does this with both keys.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

How long have you had the car? If it's over 15 months you might need to change the batteries. For some reason on the newer VAG keys, you seem to need to change both at once.

They are brand fussy on the batteries too, so I would buy "Varta" branded ones to be sure.

First I would try locking up, going away for 10 mins and coming back to it, repeat for each key if first doesn't work.
2022 V2 E-Boost L-Tech Pack - Aurora Blue
2023 Audi S3 - to avoid rapid charging on long journeys.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Bazzachazza

Post by Bazzachazza »

Modern issue with KESSY system. Car and fob are constantly trying to find each other so fob battery wears out quickly, usually less than a year. Yes it’s also very fussy on which battery you use. Don’t go cheap as it’ll reject the battery.
michbright

Post by michbright »

Thanks for all your replies.

Batteries replaced in both keys but they're still not working... how do I reprogramme them?

Thanks.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

michbright wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:28 pm Thanks for all your replies.

Batteries replaced in both keys but they're still not working... how do I reprogramme them?

Thanks.
What brand? As I said, they're brand fussy VAG recommend Varta, I have known ever ready and duracell NOT to work.

I can't remember if there's anything special to do after battery replacement, you'll need to check the manual.

michbright

Post by michbright »

Varta, as recommended, tried the steps in the manual and still not working, but did manage to set the alarm off!

I phoned Cupra and they've said it needs to go in for diagnostics, so Roadside Assistance is coming to assess and then recover to dealer.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

michbright wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:42 pm Varta, as recommended, tried the steps in the manual and still not working, but did manage to set the alarm off!

I phoned Cupra and they've said it needs to go in for diagnostics, so Roadside Assistance is coming to assess and then recover to dealer.
Sounds like you've done all you can.

michbright

Post by michbright »

Update! Roadside Asssistance came out, spent an hour with the car, trying to assess what has gone wrong. He tried to reprogram the keys, but had no luck and said the diagnostics says the unit is corrupt... He's never seen this before in any VAG cars and the only thing he can think of is that someone has tried to tamper with the signal from outside the vehicle and corrupted the control unit, which will most likely need to be replaced. The car will be recovered tomorrow to go into the dealership for repair under warranty. I'm having such fun with this car and we've only had it since September 2022!!

Will update on this ongoing saga once it's gone into Cupra.
poppo2K3

Post by poppo2K3 »

I got my second key stolen i June, and Cupra haven't had success with programming a new key yet after 7 month and 6 visits at the dealership.
It they fail on the next attempt.. i will ask the m to buy back car for a replacement.
2023 | CUPRA Born | eBoost | 77 kWh
Tech M | Pilot L | Privacy Glass | Aurora Blue